Intermittent Flaky IR Remote Operation on TivoHD

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by schwinn, Mar 22, 2010.

1. schwinn

schwinn Member

Sep 18, 2004

Advertisements

Ever since buying my TivoHD, I have had intermittent problems with the remote control's response. I have tried numerous things, and detailed a lot of my efforts on another thread: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=440831

Since my issue isn't completely related to the double-press issue (though the double-press can be an artifact of the problem) I figure it's better to have a new thread about this problem.

Before jumping all over me about this issue, please read through my full troubleshooting effort as documented here: http://schwinn.hopto.org/tivo.html

The point is, I have looked at interference, glass reflections, TV and CFL interference, batteries, replacement remotes (peanut and others), replacement TivoHDs, unit-locations in the room, etc... nothing resolves it on the TivoHD, yet ALL of my other IR devices (including my S1 Tivo) have ZERO problems with IR commands.

The purpose of this post is to see if others experience this problem as well, and to see if anyone else has ideas on what could be done.

I planned to call Tivo Support this weekend, but the problem didn't happen during the weekend, for whatever reason... as I said, it's intermittent, though it seems to be most prevalent when two tuners are recording...

Anyway, I plan to point Tivo Support to this page when I call them (I imagine I'll see this problem again this week, so I can call them and trouble shoot it "live" one more time)... but I also wanted to get other users input/ideas on ways to resolve the problem.

2. schwinn

schwinn Member

Sep 18, 2004
    For what it's worth, I ended up getting a Tivo Premiere on Friday, and have it running (without a cable card, for now). It does NOT exhibit the missed-button press problem I have been dealing with all this time. It's in the same room, and sitting near the TivoHD that is also running and still gives me issues to this day with poor remote response.

Bottom line, as far as I am concerned, this is a hardware design defect with the TivoHD that is causing the problem. I know many will say that I'm the only one with this problem, or that it might be environmental - I call BS. I have tried everything I can do to make this problem go away, even nonsense like attenuation of the cable signal (even though my RS values are low)... and nothing resolves the issue on the TivoHD.

Granted, I've only had the Premiere for two days now, and there's no cablecard in there, so maybe that will make things go bad again... but for now, at least, the problem is still pointing directly at the TivoHD hardware.

3. cjv2

cjv2 New Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Not me :)
    Not me :)

^^ entered with my TivoHD remote :D

4. lastdeadcat

lastdeadcat 22 years in Alaska

Mar 14, 2005
    Duvall, WA
    Will a Primiere remote control at TiVoHDor vise versa? Does it have DVR 1-2 switch? A TiVoHD remote will control at S2.

5. Phantom Gremlin

Phantom Gremlin Active Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Tualatin,...

Advertisements

That's a good question. The OP has previously tried multiple remotes and multiple boxes. But with his new purchase he has an opportunity to do a few more experiments.

schwinn: you should try this! Old remote <--> Premiere; New remote <--> TiVo HD. It might finally determine whether it is the remote or the box that's at fault (my bet is that the TiVo HD box is defective). But make sure that one box is unplugged before experimenting with the other.

6. schwinn

schwinn Member

Sep 18, 2004
    I've been using the old remote with the new Premier, and it works perfectly fine there (just like how it worked well with the S1).

I have not tried the Premiere remote with the TivoHD, because it doesn't have a 1-2 switch like the TivoHD remote has. This makes is inconvenient to use on the TivoHD, but I will give it a shot later. I do not believe that it will fix the TivoHD problem, but I will try anyway.

7. FiosUser

FiosUser Member

Nov 16, 2007
    I have a HD XL and thought I was going crazy. Glad to see I'm not the only one with this problem.

Changing batteries, pressing buttons harder and harder...I became one of those people who press the crosswalk button 100s of times to make the light change faster.

Very annoying and it doesn't help when you can't stop the fast forward that took forever to start in the first place.

8. schwinn

schwinn Member

Sep 18, 2004
    Well, I just tested the new Tivo Premiere remote with the TivoHD. As I expected, while the TivoHD is recording 2 channels right now, it still does the same flaky operation.

What's more, the cable cards were installed in the Premiere yesterday, and with all the recording, setting up season passes, etc, it NEVER ONCE missed a remote signal from the TivoHD remote (because it has the 1-2 switch). Both units are in the same room, near the same TV.

As far as I am concerned, this proves once and for all that the TivoHD has some issues with the remote receiver, because:
    1) I have none of these problems with any other IR device (including the S1 and S4 Tivos)
    2) 3 separate TivoHD units have shown this problem
    3) None of the IR remotes resolve the issue (2x S1 remotes, 2x TivoHD remotes, 1x Premiere remote, 1x Onkyo learning remote)
    4) No amount of troubleshooting (hot signal, TV off, lights off, etc) have resolved the issue

What's more, since I have been seeing this issue before the 30-day return policy, and I have tried to resolve the issue with Tivo in the past many months, I expected some movement from Tivo to take back this HD. They refuse to do anything, and only gave me a deal to transfer the lifetime from my old S1 to the new Premiere (which I had to purchase). I'm not saying this is a bad deal, but it's ridiculous that I had to fight to get even this far with the clearly defective TivoHD. Sad...

But, I'm certainly happier with the Premiere now... and I guess it's not too bad that I have the TivoHD for a second room now. I will miss my S1, which is now off contract - I imagine that was their goal anyway. It has served me well, and was completely flawless for 10 years. Wonderful unit.

All I can say is - Tivo, please don't cut any corners with the Tivos, like you have done with the HD. Tivo is supposed to be a premium experience... if I wanted cheap crap, I'd use a cable DVR.

9. BarryD99

BarryD99 New Member

Mar 30, 2002
    Jacksonville,Fl
    I have the same problem with my Tivo HD. I'm pretty sure that I can reproduce it by recording two shows at a time and using TivoDesktop to transfer a program from the Tivo to my PC.

10. Interactive

Interactive New Member

Jan 16, 2003
    McKinney, TX
    I started having a very similar problem with my S3 last week. I've been using this box in the same room for years (since the first few months the S3 was released) with no problems at all. Since I'm sure it would cost more than the box is worth to fix the IR port (all else is working ok) I guess this box is going away for us.

Unless, of course, someone can tell me where to use the bubble gum or duct tape.

11. rn701

rn701 New Member

May 18, 2007
    I have the problem too. It started shortly after a software update around the same time the Premier was launched. The Premier doesn't seem to have the problem according to one of the posters above. Coincidence?

12. gregnash

gregnash New Member

Nov 9, 2006
    Carson City, NV
    I have been experiencing the same issue with my HD Tivo since we bought it back in December of last year. At first I thought it was just the fact that at the time we had the cable box next to it (was going to take two weeks to get a tech out with the cablecard) but then it continued with the cablecard. I have tried everything from shutting the blinds, being very, very close to the box, moving phones and other items completely out of the room and it it still intermittent. Seems almost like the IR they are using is too sensitive as it picks up ambient light from other sources (i.e. the windows) and that can create interference.

Has anyone had any luck with using one of the IR eyes (cant think of what they are called but the little sensors that you put over the IR sensor and have it go to a universal RF hub) and then blacking that area completely out, like putting electrical tape over the eye then?

13. 84lion

84lion Member

Jan 22, 2009
    We also have this problem with our two Tivo HDs. What's weird is that the unresponsiveness is very intermittent. Sometimes I cannot get the remote to do anything, other times it is instantaneous response.

I have converted both our Tivos to RF operation with this item:

http://www.nextgen.us/SearchResults.asp?Cat=12

It works great...when it works. (The Tivo was exhibiting the problem when using the Tivo remote without the RF unit, so the RF unit is not the problem.) There are many times when I see the RF unit receiving commands (red LED eye blinks) but the Tivo doesn't acknowledge the command with a yellow light blink.

I too have tried the "blackout" deal with the RF unit "eye" pasted to the Tivo and the area around the eye blacked out with electrical tape. This appears to have made no difference.

My wife loves her Tivo but she is getting very annoyed with the "press and get no results" issue. I do not understand why this is a problem for the Tivo as I have never run into this issue with any other electronic device I've ever owned.

14. gregnash

gregnash New Member

Nov 9, 2006
    Carson City, NV
    Just spoke with a very nice customer service person on Tivo Chat regarding this issues. Apparently, there is a new Series 3 update coming out within a weeks time (said should be seen by 10/25). So keep your eyes peeled for software version 11.0j (as in Jeremy). This update is supposed to fix a number of issues including this being in the mix. I will try to remember to report back once I see the update.

15. jimcarver

jimcarver Member

Dec 25, 2004
    I occasionally query this problem to see if anyone has found a solution. I checked and have software version 11.0j and still have the problem on one of my TiVo HD boxes. This started soon after I moved the box to another room (but not immediately) after I purchased a Premium box. (which by the way has the opposite problem-the buttons are too responsive. Sometimes it double enters the button that was pressed.) I have tried all possible solutions mentioned which don't work. I did switch the DVR button from 2 to 1 which seems to have helped a little but did not totally fix the problem. I especially have a problem with the left arrow and play button when stopping fast forward. I don't think mine is as extreme as others have said but still very annoying. I'm sure TiVo knows the answer but isn't saying. Maybe it is the IR that is bad in all these boxes.

16. 84lion

84lion Member

Jan 22, 2009
    I checked my wife's Tivo HD yesterday and it does have the "j" software but is still exhibiting the intermittent flaky remote operation.

17. sopclod

sopclod New Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Just wanted to chime in and say that I just started experiencing this problem yesterday. We have had our TivoHD for about a year and we have a comcast cable card. Nothing has changed in that time; it just started doing this all of a sudden.

I was able to get the remote to work just fine with other devices it's programmed to operate, i.e. the tv and a receiver. Also our old series 2 remote exhibits the same behavior when I try to use it with the tivoHD, i.e. works intermittently. I am 99% sure it's the box as others have said.

I'll be keeping my eye on this thread and will certainly post if I find out anything useful.

18. LazySusan

LazySusan New Member

Nov 9, 2010
    I think I've got it all figured out!

19. charlotte110

charlotte110 New Member

Nov 9, 2010
    Okay, so tell us what it is. I have had this problem for at least over a year. I have the latest software running. TiVo HD DVR

20. gregnash

gregnash New Member

Nov 9, 2006
    Carson City, NV
    Yeah it was good for probably a good 2 weeks then the problem started again... I am not really sure where it stems from but I am thinking that the receiver board/ir eye on the Tivo is actually either mis-calibrated or overly weak. If I am within a foot of the Tivo it responds instantaneously without any hesitation but if you move further back then the problem starts. I have had days with bright sunlight shining directly on it for hours and it responds just fine to every push then in the dark it exhibits the problem. The next day, the exact opposite.

I am planning on contacting Tivo again regarding this before my warranty is up.