Intermittent even transponders on 2nd tuner

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by jfischer, Sep 3, 2007.

1. jfischer

jfischer New Member

Oct 14, 1999
    Littleton, CO
    My HDVR2 has been acting up, lots of incomplete recordings and glitches. I pulled the hard drive and ran the full diagnostics on it, it's fine.

Turns out doing a signal test that the even transponders on the 2nd tuner either don't show up (while they are fine on the 1st tuner), or bounce between a good signal and 0.

I swapped cables between tuner 1 and tuner 2, but the problem stays on tuner 2. I have done a clear and delete all, but that hasn't helped. I guess I could tell the HDVR2 that I only have one tuner, since this is a backup unit and I can live without 2 tuners. However, I'd really like to have the 2-tuner functionality.

Is there anything else I can check? I swapped the cables both at the wall and on the back of the TiVo, so I can pretty safely rule out the cables or multiswitch/dish I would think.

Thanks!

2. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    There has been reported a problem with that TiVo where the use of the s-video output messes up tuner 2. If you are using the s-video, try the composite instead.

3. GunnyWaldo

GunnyWaldo New Member

Sep 3, 2007
    I'm having the same problem :( . What is the reported problem? who is doing the reporting of the problem, D TV? TIVO or other customers? Help this is driving me nuts.

4. jfischer

jfischer New Member

Oct 14, 1999
    Littleton, CO
    Oh now that's weird! I tested yesterday by placing the SD Tivo (the one with the problems) where my HR10-250 is. Problem went away! I figured it was bad cabling perhaps, but that didn't explain why the problem stayed on Tuner #2 eve with the cables swapped.

However, when I swapped it with the HR10-250, I use composite cables only. When the bad TiVo is in its regular place, I am using both S-Video and both composite outs. I will go ahead and remove the S-Video and see if that straightens mine out as well.

FOLLOW-UP:

Well, that's what it is apparently. Actually doesn't matter if it's S-Video or not, if I have more than one of the A/V connections active the signal strength on the 2nd tuner on even transponders really goes nuts. If I drop down to one connection it's almost stable, only get a drop on the 2nd tuner every 30-45 seconds, rather than alternating good/bad as it does with multiple connections.

However, even dropouts every 45 seconds isn't acceptable. I guess this might be a sign that the power supply is going out, since removing some load seems to alleviate the problem? As much as I hate to do it, I may just tell it I only have 1 tuner and let it go for now. I don't want to spend much money on fixing this thing, and if it'll keep running on 1 tuner I suppose that's better than nothing.