Intermittent black / blank screen during live TV

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Wigster, Feb 23, 2016.

1. Wigster

Wigster New Member

Feb 22, 2016
    Hello,

Hoping to find someone with a similar problem (or ideally, a solution).
    I have a Tivo Bolt and a Samsung JS8500 4K TV.

If I use an Xbox, Wii U, or Blu ray player with the TV... everything is fine.
    The Tivo Bolt is even fine, as long as it's not live TV.
    Recorded shows, netflix, amazon - even watching from the buffer - all ok.

But the second I start watching live TV - every few minutes, a 1 second black screen appears. Totally random. Sometimes a few in 20 minutes. Sometimes none.

I've swapped the HDMI cord that goes from Tivo to the TV.
    I've reset both the Tivo and the TV.
    Video output is 4K 60fps automatic.

I've checked the signal strength meter but when the black-out occurs, I lose the meter so I don't see what's happening. Tivo retains the peak but not the valley - so you need to be watching the meter.

I've swapped in an older TV (1080i max) and the issue isn't present. Wondering if it's something to do with 4K video output or my cablecard at this point.

Any ideas?

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    It's not your cable card. Set the TiVo to 1080i only for a few days.

3. Wigster

Wigster New Member

Feb 22, 2016
    Awesome - I'll try that tonight - thank you.

If the issue disappears - is it because the TV is failing when it receives 4K... or the Bolt not outputting it correctly. (no worries if there's no way of knowing yet)

4. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Yes. ;)

5. Wigster

Wigster New Member

Feb 22, 2016
    Unfortunately no luck. Issue persists. Tried all video outputs as well as a few subsets. I'd wait a few days, but time is a factor as I may need to return either the TV or Tivo. Thanks for the suggestion though.

6. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I feel for you. I'm holding off upgrading to 4k until all this mess is fixed. Next release might fix things, but I'm patient. I have the time and will need a new AVR anyhow.

Perhaps using a different HDMI port on the TV would be another test? Also:http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=10766600#post10766600

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  7. Mar 1, 2016 #7 of 12
    Wigster

Wigster New Member

Feb 22, 2016
    Posting an update in case it helps someone else.

I've gone a few days without seeing the issue. I reset the smarthub feature within my Samsung TV (JS 8500). I did not set it back up (instead of specifying zipcode/cable provider, I chose 'no cable' option).

I've had runs where it didn't pop up before (after a tv reset). I'm hoping this fixed it for good. At the very least it seems isolated to the Tivo (xbox one and wii u have been fine). Seems HDCP related.

8. Wtrski

Wtrski New Member

Mar 28, 2016
    I just purchased a bolt and it's doing the same thing. I also have a Samsung smart tv. I'll try this fix when I get home. Unless there are any updates. Thanks Wigster for reporting back what helped.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
    pdhenry likes this.
  9. Bruzer

Bruzer Member

Jul 8, 2005
    Corvallis, OR
    I'm a new Bolt owner as well, and am seeing the same blanking issue. I too have a Samsung Smart TV (4K). Last night I tried to disable every "feature" on the TV that I could (Smart Hub, AnyNet, Quick Start, etc.). I also made sure the TV had the latest software/firmware update. However, this morning, I still had the blanking issue (twice within a 10 min window).

I guess the next thing to try is a different HDMI port. Has anyone come up with any other "solutions" to this issue?

Thanks.

10. stephenaye

stephenaye New Member

Aug 7, 2008
    I have the same issue but with a Vizio 3d smart TV. Worked fine with Premiere... Started to happen with Bolt.

11. Bruzer

Bruzer Member

Jul 8, 2005
    Corvallis, OR
    I finally got around to trying a different HDMI port on my Samsung TV. I moved the cable from Port 1 (STB/DVI) to Port 2 (MHL), and over the last two days, I haven't had a recurrence of the "blanking" issue. I also started using Premium Certified HDMI cables from Monoprice, but I don't think that was the fix, since I used it briefly in Port 1 and still had the issue.

12. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    I have a Roamio Plus and a Samsung 4K TV and also have this problem though its infrequent, maybe only once a week or so. I've never tried to remedy it.