Interesting talk with DTV CSR regarding leasing equipment & TiVo DVR

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by BlankMan, Jan 18, 2006.

1. BlankMan

BlankMan I'm the Kettle

Mar 30, 2002
    WI

Advertisements

I just had an interesting conversation with a DirecTV CSR, who called me I might add.

He called me in response to my email to them regarding their new sales model, leasing verses purchasing equipment. In the email I told DTV I'd rather purchase and own my equipment then pay a monthly reoccurring fee to lease it. I also mentioned I was not happy with them dropping TiVo and the switch XM, and that at some point in the future all these things combined when they come to fruition, may have me canceling DTV and getting TWC.

Well the CSR made two interesting points. First, that there will still be the option to purchase, not lease the equipment. I told him that was interesting because I read the notice sent out to the dealers and it stated that yes the dealer can sell the equipment but if he does so he will not receive any compensation from DTV and that to me = lose money.

Sure the dealer can attempt to charge the buyer more to cover that loss but I doubt a lot of people will want to pay that difference. A while later in the conversation the CSR did a little spin and said as far as he knows equipment will always be available for purchase directly from DTV and backed off from the dealer. So we'll have to see if that will be true.

This part is real interesting to me because I never heard this slant on the issue before. Regarding dropping TiVo, he said the reason they dropped TiVo was because TiVo wanted to double what they were charging DTV for the service and of course DTV would then have to pass that on to its customers. He said TiVo was losing money and needed revenue and wanted to double the rates to get revenue. I pointed out that even doubled that charge would only be 2/3 what TiVo charges its non-DTV subscribers and I would gladly pay $9.99 a month to keep TiVo. He then went on to mention that DTV could not see charging more for TiVo's DVR when DTV had just as good of DVR on their own. That got a good chuckle.

When I continued the conversations during and on both of the above topics there was a lot of dead air time on his end of the phone. He was at a loss for words when I was not accepting his 'DTV has a better' whatever and actually pointing out differences and deficiencies in what he was professing to be just as good or better...

Oh yeah, we also talked about all the great new HD offerings DTV is going to have, the 150 new channels yada yada yada. I told him that getting local HD channels via DTV means nothing to me because I already get them just fine OTA. He kept on this scpeal for a while telling me DTV is going to have so many more and so much better HD offerings and kept going back to the 150 new HD channels but when I kept asking him to tell some of these new HD channels that will be getting that will be of interest to me he was at a loss and the only one he mentioned was Starz and I pointed out I do not subscribe to premium channels. More dead air...

2. no-blue-screen

no-blue-screen New Member

Feb 14, 2005
    Laurel, MD
    Interesting. From what I have seen of the DirecTV DVR, it sucks compared to TiVo. HD on DirecTV is a joke as well. It seems like a waste of $10.99 per month unless you get the movie channels. I do get the movie channels, but I hardly ever watch them because they just show the same crap over and over. Something that makes me really angry is that you have to pay extra to get your NFL ST in HD. An extra $99 from what I was told. As if the charge for NFL ST wasn't enough, they want to tack on an extra $100. The only reason I don't drop D* is because I have the HR10-250 (modified) and because cable picture quality around here sucks. I would switch to a SA tivo before I would use a D* DVR.

3. itsmeitsmeitsme

itsmeitsmeitsme New Member

Nov 13, 2003
    ohio
    I have two of the DTV dvrs and one directivo. The DTV dvrs thus far haven't been bad at all. Its taken a bit getting use to but they have performed fine in the 2 weeks I have had them.

4. Aquatic

Aquatic New Member

Nov 26, 2002
    JCP -...
    There's a thread in the Tivo HD forum.. something about NFLST folding HD broadcasts back into the standard ST cost, and not charging premium for it. THat would leave the added content stuff as the "pay for it if you want it" thing. THAT, for my money is a good thing, especially if they have the bandwidth to do so....

I know I got a flyer from DTV saying the addon price to NFLST was dropping to $49 next year anyway, so that helps as well, but if HD comes back to the standard package, I really don't care about the "RED" channel and all that.

The other interesting note in there was that perhaps, even if you aren't in a DMA that will get LiL HD pretty quickly ( Something about the top 36 markets sticks in my head for going live by end of 2006) if you subscribe to NFLST, you may get upgraded early. I'm in DMA 52, so I wouldn't mind getting things worked out early.

Something I did notice....NFLST HD is good, but it's no where near of all things last week's ABC OTA broadcast. Now THAT was an example of HD at it's finest. Very nice! Maybe, just maybe the Mpeg4 stuff will allow DTV to ship that kind of quality through the satellites!

5. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...

Advertisements

Why this isn't true:

DirecTV ends up paying TiVo about $1 per subscriber. Doubling what DirecTV pays TiVo (without reducing what DirecTV earns) would mean needing to collect another $1 from everybody. So DirecTV would have to raise the DVR fee from $4.99 to $5.99 to cover this. DirecTV ALREADY raised the DVR fee to $5.99. So it's not a reluctance to charge more in order to pay more to TiVo.

Now maybe TiVo wanted DirecTV to double the charge each customer is paying and to pay them that extra amount, adding another $5 to the charge and to what TiVo gets from DirecTV. I can't see why that wouldn't be a viable option -- in addition to DirecTV's own DVR. A shame that it's just not possible to have choices anymore.

6. dishrich

dishrich Active Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Springfield, IL
    What about that last rate XM service that replaced the much better MC - what "excuse" did he make for THAT??? :rolleyes:

7. lee espinoza

lee espinoza some guy

Aug 21, 2002
    San Antonio,TX
    too bad you have NO PROOF.

8. BlankMan

BlankMan I'm the Kettle

Mar 30, 2002
    WI
    Oh I never said I believed it, just conveying the DTV/CSR spin as to why DTV had to drop TiVo.
    25,425 posts Doug? HSBM

Didn't really get into that this call other then let him know that the loss of MC for Commercial Free (cough-BS-cough) XM was another problem I'm having with DTV at the moment.

9. Billy66

Billy66 Again with shoelaces

Dec 15, 2003
    And let me guess, what you've actually seen is nothing right? Do you own one? If so, I apologize, if not, stop acting like you know what your talking about.

10. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    I don't need to own a Yugo to know it is a pile of crap.

11. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    For a $4,000 car it's really not a pile of crap; it's basically in its own category of very inexpensive vehicles.

Excluding insurance costs, I could buy more than 10 of them for what I paid for my car. :)

12. Billy66

Billy66 Again with shoelaces

Dec 15, 2003
    and I don't need to know you to know......

13. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    Most CSRs aren't going to know anything more than what's on their script - certainly none of them are going to know the details on the DirecTV-Tivo discussions.

Even if Tivo wanted to double the fee (doubtful), DirecTV announced plans to scale back Tivo intrgration 18+ months before the contract was up (the existing contract and terms expire next February).

And, even if DTV paid double what they pay to Tivo, that would be around $2.50 per household/per month, most of which they've already gotten subs to pay for since the DVR fee went up $1.

I also find it hard to believe that the incremental cost of staying with Tivo, getting improvements in their solid, proven platform is significantly more (if at all) then the expense and risk of developing a new platform.

Take whatever you hear from a CSR with the largest (e.g. boulder size) grain of salt you can find ...

14. captain_video

captain_video Member

Feb 28, 2002
    Talking to a DTV CSR about DTV is like talking to an IRS rep about tax laws. Talk to ten different reps and you'll get ten different responses. I wouldn't take anything a DTV CSR tells me as gospel. In fact, every conversation I've had with one ended up with them getting more educated about DTV than they were before the conversation began. ;) Most of them are just not up to speed on what's happening at DTV.

15. danska

danska New Member

Aug 20, 2004
    The sad part is, i would still pay a dollar or two more for a tivo per month if i knew i could get one again.