Interesting PiP bug

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by LoREvanescence, Nov 10, 2011.

1. LoREvanescence

LoREvanescence Always Autocorrected

Jun 19, 2007
    Salem, MA
    I just noticed that if I'm in the HDUI, and the tv input is set to my premiere. If I turn on or off my blu-ray player (both are connected via HDMI), the picture in picture box on the top right of the HDUI disappears. It goes away as in completely vanishes and is filled with the discovery bar going all the way to the right edge like the pip box was never meant to be there.

I have to restart my box or restart the HDUI to get it back.

Done it a couple times now and it does it each time.

2. Torgo

Torgo Member

Dec 31, 2001
    Philadelphia
    What happens if you're just watching live TV, and you switch your BR player on or off? Does the TV automatically switch to the BR HDMI input?

3. LoREvanescence

Jun 19, 2007
    Salem, MA

No, it does not

But I noticed that once an while when doing it, not every time my tivo will flash hdmi not permitted for 2 seconds then come back.

4. rocko

rocko Cuckoo for TiVo

Oct 29, 2002
    Northeast...
    You didn't mention your TV brand/model. You might check to see if there's a firmware upgrade for your TV - I had some funky unexplained behavior with my Samsung 32-whatever a while back and a firmware update fixed it. Very un-obvious.

5. LoREvanescence

Jun 19, 2007
    Salem, MA

it's a 32 inch sharp with a generic asian board, it's not labeled aquos.

I have checked, they do not have firmware updates for my model do to the incapability of updating it. It has no USB thumb connection or no network access. I asked if service centers could update it and I was told no

6. rocko

rocko Cuckoo for TiVo

Oct 29, 2002
    Northeast...
    Hmmm .... then don't mess with the power on your BR player .. ;)

7. shamilian

shamilian Member

Mar 26, 2003
    NJ
    Did you try pressing the Slow button, this usually toggles the pip setting.

8. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Maybe the slow button and the power button for the BD player have the same or similar IR codes which is causing this? It wouldn't be the first time something like this has happened with electronics devices.

9. LoREvanescence

Jun 19, 2007
    Salem, MA

Only thing was is I used the power button on the blu-ray player to turn it on to take a disc out.

I think the issue is being caused by being in the HDUI and having a HDMI Connection Not permitted error, it seems to crash the PIP.

Toggling it with slow won't turn it on and off.

10. MikeOrlando

MikeOrlando New Member

Nov 10, 2011
    I have noticed this as well.

I used the HD interface and elected to turn off the Video Window as it can be a bit of a spoiler if you are not ready to watch a show and I was hoping it would speed up UI navigation. I have Video Window set to OFF.

When the TiVo restarts, the Video Window is present. When you go into the settings it is still set to OFF even though it is displayed. If you click OFF again nothing happens. You must set it to ON and then go back and pick OFF.

Upon further investigation a restart isn't even required, if you do the TiVo + 0 command to play the startup video the Video Window appears when you are returned to the UI.

It does not happen if you go into standby and then return. Not sure what standby does anyway.

Just my observations. Is there any place to go to report an apparent bug to TiVo?

Mike

11. MikeOrlando

MikeOrlando New Member

Nov 10, 2011
    Niles: Correct, that issue is known and we are working on a possible patch for it.