1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

interesting new device- Caavo- voice control that connects all your devices

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by tivoknucklehead, Feb 16, 2017.

1. tivoknucklehead

tivoknucklehead Active Member

Dec 12, 2002
    Orlando Florida
    Caavo | All your home entertainment, unified.

wood-grained 8 hdmi port device that comes with voice controlled remote. They say you can connect all your devices (Roku, Apple TV , Fire TV, etc and I'm assuming Tivo) and talk into remote "Play House of Cards" and it will automatically find the show, go to your preferred device and start playing it, or resume where you left off

$400 is pricy, but not much more than a high end Harmony Elite
    June pre-orders, September ship

2. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Sounds magical. How does it control devices and search across devices with just an HDMI connection? Or is there a network connection, which isn't obvious from their web info?

TiVo isn't mentioned as a controllable device.

3. tivoknucklehead

Dec 12, 2002
    Orlando Florida

well a slingbox can easily control a tivo so I don't see why this could not but I could be wrong

I sent them an email asking if it will control a Tivo and will post their response if they do

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  4. jth tv

jth tv Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2014
    How does it work ? HDMI CEC ? Universal remote control via infrared ?

5. tivoknucklehead

Dec 12, 2002
    Orlando Florida
    you plug your devices into it and its software can auto-configure each device, then open any device by voice command (with included voice controlled remote) and start playing what you want it to play. even better it works with Alexa on the amazon echo so no remote needed, at least for some devices

at least that is what they claim

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  6. tivoknucklehead

Dec 12, 2002
    Orlando Florida
  7. jth tv

jth tv Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2014
    A little bit more info, thanks, but it sounds like vaporware, I don't believe it, in the least. They say it will work with cable and satellite, just how though they don't say. TiVo charges $15/mth for TV listings, how will Caavo know what's on ? They won't.

As far as I can tell, Roku has been doing the realistic stuff for quite a while now.

8. bonscott87

bonscott87 Done.

Oct 3, 2000
    I don't really see the need here. One Roku box for $50 can have all your streaming (other then Apple stuff) in one place. Fire TV pretty much the same. Why would I pay $400 PLUS the cost of all these other devices when I can do it all in one box already? Don't really get it...

Mikeguy likes this.
  9. tivoknucklehead

Dec 12, 2002
    Orlando Florida

think of it as a high end voice activated universal remote. I can definitely see the need for this for technophobic people that don't want to mess with input sources, etc. the key is it knows which device your show is on. even trained geeks like me sometimes forget if a movie or show is on Netflix, Amazon, Hulu ,etc

Mikeguy and mschnebly like this.
  10. tivoknucklehead

Dec 12, 2002
    Orlando Florida

my guess it it will use the tivo interface and guide using patented AI software. and the people behind this have impressive industry resumes

About | Caavo

11. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    From the linked article:
    Sounds great! Indeed a major task to realize this concept to its fullest. But "the devil is in the details". We shall see.

12. bonscott87

bonscott87 Done.

Oct 3, 2000
    But again, you can already do that with just one streaming box (Roku, FireTV, Apple TV). I can do a voice command to Roku and say "play man in the high castle" and it'll find it even if I don't know it's on Amazon. Why do you need a $400 additional device to do it? And it's just one input and one remote already.

Mikeguy likes this.
  13. mschnebly

mschnebly Member

Feb 21, 2011
    Can you tell your Roku to play something from your cable box? This can

14. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Wow, take a look at this Verge article:

Exclusive: The Caavo streaming box is built on a gamechanging machine vision for TV

They are using AI and machine vision to scrape data from your big screen, well actually from the HDMI signal on its way to your screen. In effect it's like having a camera capturing your screen then processing the image to find icons or whatever they are looking for.

Very innovative and if they can really pull it off well, very exciting!

15. jth tv

jth tv Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2014
    Sounds like scripts I used to write with terminal emulation software. They work for a while but as soon as the host software changes, kaboom. And it can be a very messy kaboom.

gonzotek likes this.
  16. jth tv

jth tv Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2014
    I think we have to wait and see about that. Seems impossible.

17. gonzotek

gonzotek tivo_xml developer

Sep 24, 2004
    Outside...
    That's my concern. It might look and work great with the devices and their respective software that exist on the day of release, but they will have to be continually tweaking its software to account for interface changes and new devices in the future. It looks great, but unless a LOT of people purchase these, they're destined to become paperweights if the company is forced to stop supporting them due to lack of funds.

18. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Thanks for the video link--an interesting 15-minute presentation of the device.

And so, in the end, a $399 (intro. price) content finder/switcher: plug your various sources into the box and then simply tell the device what you want to watch--the box finds and plays it automatically (under your source priorities).

My immediate reactions:

-- It's convenient--it's HAL for your content. At the same time, while a ~total solution for your content, it's a partial solution for your home (not its fault--it's not trying to be a total home solution).

-- Does it provide $399 worth of convenience? Sure, it could be nice to be able to speak what you want into a single remote rather than picking up the remote for the source you want, but is that worth $399? Perhaps for some, with many content sources, and perhaps especially if you don't know what source has the content--like using the TiVo Guide's search facility to find where a particular piece of content is available, automatically (and then automatically playing it).

-- This did reinforce in my mind: I'm again thinking that TiVo should come out with an intelligent voice remote, which I think many would find to be incredibly convenient and an advance. (Especially if it can do ultimate tasks, such as find and then automatically play the content.) Totally apart from "keeping up with the competition" as well as providing a service that many consumers might want, this also would provide a further revenue stream for TiVo. (Having said that, I'm not sure that this would fit within Rovi's desire to exit the physical world.)

19. tazzmission

tazzmission Member

Oct 15, 2002
    North...
    Im interested but skeptical too. Does it support 4K HDR on all 8 HDMI ports? I need something with at least 7 HDMI ports that does 4K HDR. This would take are of that for me and add the voice search. I like it, but we shall see how it goes with their first 5000 for early adopters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

20. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    If one does know what one wants to watch that one thing, but for example I started to watch the new 24, I can't tell you when the next new episode will be on, and I don't care as my TiVo with a SP for 24 will do the job (most of the time), I don't know when The Americans will come back on again, but under my shows if I see it, then I know. I could use Google to get this information, but that would be a pain compared to a TiVo SP, so I don't see how this $400 item helps me with my TiVo (even if it worked with TiVo somehow), and this is a TiVo Forum.