Interesting (fleeting) TiVo glitch: 1/2-hour recorded show condensed down to a 5-min. progress bar

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Mikeguy, Oct 11, 2019.

1. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Went to watch the recorded 1/2-hour evening news tonite while it still was being recorded (on a TE3 Bolt box), and discovered that whenever I would press the 8-second repeat button, the recording instead went back minutes. Likewise with the rewind and fast forward buttons: rather than operate normally, they performed as if in a hyper mode, with their effects magnified. I just abandoned use of the trick-play controls and let the show play normally, which was fine.

Ultimately, by the end of the show, the progress bar only reported a 5-minute-long show. And so apparently, when any of the trick-play buttons was pressed, the effect was magnified many times.

I restarted the box after, and the show still showed as a "5-minute recording" (although playing as a full 30-minute show). Fortunately (and hopefully), this seems to be a 1-off event--shows that I've recorded since show as the correct length.

Odd--I've never seen this before. Maybe the box is telling me to stop watching so much television, lol.

shwru980r and kpeters59 like this.
  2. TishTash

TishTash Active Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Merrick, NY
    When my Roamio comes out of Sleep, sometimes one channel shows a couple minutes into a recording show when it’s obviously more than several minutes (or hours) in. Another channel will have the same show in a live buffer. Going to My Shows and playing the recording there will show an accurate progress bar.

“Weirder and weirder....”
    –Z. Beeblebrox, THHGTTG

TiVo Roamios x4: 20, 16, 12, & 8 TB
    Today's lesson: “Max out your storage from the get-go!”

3. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Sounds like a problem with the video stream in the broadcast. Perhaps Dan could come up with a reason this might happen. :)

Scott

4. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Fortunately, it still seems to have been a 1-off situation--no repeat of it today.