Interesting Discovery Regarding Dying Hard Drive

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Nutjob, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Nutjob

Nutjob New Member

Dec 30, 2011
    My hard drive is in the process of slowly dying. I intend to replace it soon. I get freezing, pixelation, occasional reboots, lack of responsiveness to remote commands, etc.

Many people, including myself, have gotten temporary relief from these symptoms by restarting the TiVo. I was curious as to why and I had a theory. What if it isn't the restarting of the TiVo that alleviates the symptoms, but the clearing out of the cache/buffer? I tested this and have found that with my TiVo at least, if I have problems, I can go to live TV, change the channels (thus clearing the cache), and suddenly my symptoms are gone, for several minutes at least. I suspect that rather than storing the cache/buffer in RAM, that it is stored on the hard drive. Maybe there is some other explanation.

I know it isn't a cure, but for people in my position, who are trying to get by while waiting to fix the problem, it could be a handy piece of information.

2. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Interesting theory, and a good example of logical thinking.

What in the world are you doing here?:D

3. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    Intruder Alert! Intruder Alert!:eek::eek::eek:

4. Cearbhaill

Cearbhaill Garden obsessed

Aug 1, 2004
    My back yard
    So has anyone else ever been told to turn the Tivo over (resting upside down) for a few months each year?
    Can't remember where I read that but it had something to do with lubrication inside the unit needing to be redistributed?

Stop laughing- I know nothing about what is inside my Tivos!
    But I have an older 540 model with a huge hard drive (from Weaknees) that has always been sluggish and prone to stuttering after using the guide and it does seem to perk up when I turn it over. It has run upside down for probably a year at a time apparently no worse for the wear.

5. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Kind of a no-brainer really. Two 30-minute buffers for HD channels requires up to 7 GB or more of storage. Since a healthy HDD can easily support the required read/write rates, it would be a stupid (and expensive) design that put those buffers in RAM.

6. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    The only lubrication, and the only moving parts, would be the fan axle and inside the hard drive, so I am at a loss for an explanation of why a change in the relative direction of gravitational influence would make a difference, but would love to know what it could be if it's for real.

That 540 is probably due for a relubrication of the fan and an examination of the power supply capacitors.