Interesting conundrum.

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by red.panda, Nov 5, 2017.

1. red.panda

red.panda Member

Jan 7, 2017

Advertisements

We have two TiVo accounts in our house. One account has a TiVo Bolt and Mini on it. The other account has a TiVo Bolt on it.

The TiVo Mini is connected to the MoCA network via Coaxial. The TiVo Bolt on that account is connected to the MoCA network via Coaxial & ethernet.

The selected device for the TiVO Mini is the TiVo Bolt that it is on the shared account with.

However, the TiVO Mini (which definitely is feeding off the TiVo Bolt it shares an account with) does not function unless the second TiVo Bolt (the one on the separate account) is plugged into the wall via ethernet (it isn't connected via coaxial).

The Bolt on the account with the Mini is set up as the MoCA Bridge. The other TiVo is actually setup as a MoCA client, but should this have to be?

What's anybody's take on this?

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You need to have them all on a single account so you can straighten out this confusion.

3. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Why in the heck do you have two accounts? Just asking for trouble like you’re having now.

4. red.panda

red.panda Member

Jan 7, 2017
    Not sure why it would matter is the question. Since both relevant TiVos are on the same account. The other is meant to be sold.

5. m.s

m.s Active Member

Mar 8, 2007

Advertisements

Are you sure you haven't confused which account the TiVos are on? Check the Media Access Key on each of the three boxes (settings & messages/help/account & system info/media access key).

6. red.panda

red.panda Member

Jan 7, 2017
    I will triple check, but yes and I know this is confusing but like right now I am watching a show from the correct TiVo Bolt, using the Mini to do so. But if I unplug the second Bolt from ethernet (the one on the separate account) - the picture goes out, even though I am watching shows off a different Bolt (the one on the same account as the Mini, and the device that is selected. Idk!

7. kdmorse

kdmorse Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 29, 2001
    Germantown, MD
    Write down all their IP addresses. Start running pings from a neutral server to all of them at once. Then go on a cable unplugging spree to determine which cables are providing access to what IP addresses.

Make sure you know for sure which IP address is associated with each device. Make sure you're unplugging the cable you think you are. Because we've all farked that up one time or another. Make sure you've formed and tested a understanding of what link, path, cable, and hole every device is going through.

When the 'foreign' Bolt is unplugged, do you truly lose network access to the Mini that shouldn't be impacted?

Did the mini work before the foreign Bolt was installed? (If so, how)

8. ajwees41

ajwees41 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE
    do the bolts have the same programs or different?

9. m.s

m.s Active Member

Mar 8, 2007
    Then, go through the networking setup on all of them, because the other obvious cause would be that the MoCA bridge isn't where you think it is.