Interesting Amazon Prime Expereince...Homemade Video Tape?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by michael1248, Nov 7, 2019.

1. michael1248

michael1248 Member

Feb 14, 2002
    Saw that one of my favorite TV movies from the 1970s (Birds of Prey) was available on Amazon Prime and watched it last night...

I didn't expect the picture quality to be so bad.....I certainly didn't expect a channel logo from a Phoenix TV station to show up momentarily on the screen...and I was totally shocked to listen to a promo for the local Phoenix station's newscast as the credits rolled!

Granted, I was very happy to see a 45 year old movie from the 70s that reminded me of my childhood, but I was surprised that Amazon apparently uploaded someone's VCR tape and made it available for streaming.

Mikeguy likes this.
  2. Adam C.

Adam C. Active Member

Jul 24, 2017
    I had a similar experience with an old episode of St. Elsewhere that I watched on Hulu. The video quality of one episode was so bad it looked like an old video recording with bad tracking.

3. michael1248

michael1248 Member

Feb 14, 2002
    Somehow I can deal with poor video quality because I'd rather view what I want to watch rather than have it unavailable. However, I just don't get where a juggernaut in the streaming business is allowing old homemade videotapes to get uploaded into their system.

Oh well..

4. tenthplanet

tenthplanet Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2004
    It could of actually be a TV station tape, stations used to record programming from satellites to broadcast at a later time. Uploading a home tape to streaming could bring massive lawsuits, unless the tape was provided by the content owner.

5. tenthplanet

tenthplanet Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Hulu has gotten some bad transfers for TV shows made before HD broadcasting. Early episodes of 'The O.C.' you look at and the DVD looked better (a lot in some cases), and you wonder what??? The episodes look better running on The CW seed. :confused: