Interesting 9.1 bug

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by BillL, Oct 7, 2007.

1. Oct 7, 2007 #1 of 11
    BillL

BillL New Member

Oct 6, 2004
    All my non-digital station recordings no longer contain any audio.

2. Oct 8, 2007 #2 of 11
    A J Ricaud

A J Ricaud Active Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Hacienda...
    Have you tried restarting the Tivo?

3. Oct 9, 2007 #3 of 11
    BillL

BillL New Member

Oct 6, 2004
    Yup, I restarted and the same thing happens. All of my analog recordings have no sound. Once every 20 or so times I get the sound back. No one else having this problem?

**It must not be a 9.1 bug if no one else on this board has this issue. I can't imagine what it could be then** Any way to roll back the software?

4. Oct 9, 2007 #4 of 11
    Krellion

Krellion ...

May 17, 2002
    Hampton, VA
    What kind of audio connection are you using? HDMI, optical, analog? If you're not using the analog connection, have you tried changing your output from Dolby Digital to PCM? Any problems with sound effects?

5. Oct 9, 2007 #5 of 11
    BillL

BillL New Member

Oct 6, 2004
    I am using an optical audio connection to my stereo receiver. The sound effects, (the TiVo beeps and boops), work fine until I try to watch an analog taped show. Then they also lose volume until I go to either Live TV or watch a digital taped recording. Also, analog broadcasts have full sound just not the recordings.

**Also I have had terrible pixelation issues since I purchased the unit a year ago which 9.1 seems to have fixed. I guess I'd rather not be able to tape analog and not have pixelation.

6. Oct 9, 2007 #6 of 11
    AbMagFab

AbMagFab What happened, TiVo?

Feb 5, 2001
    Try:
    1) Rewind live TV - do you still get sound?
    2) Record live TV (press the record button). Wait 5 minutes. Stop the recording. Go to the NPL, play the recording. Does it have sound?

7. Oct 9, 2007 #7 of 11
    BillL

BillL New Member

Oct 6, 2004
    I am at work right now, but when I go home, i will try both of these things. Also I may try connecting analog instead of optically.

8. Oct 9, 2007 #8 of 11
    BillL

BillL New Member

Oct 6, 2004

Ok.
    1.) rewinding live tv and playing it still results in sound.
    2.) recording it. going to the now playing list results in no sound. Then going to livetv analog station keeps the sound off! Have to go to a digital station to regain sound.

My "fix". change from dolby digital to dolby digital to PCM

9. Oct 9, 2007 #9 of 11
    demon

demon BURNINATOR

Nov 15, 2006
    Western SD
    You said you were using an optical audio connection - what model of receiver are you using? Maybe it's an odd interaction between them? Strange that it only seems to happen during recorded analog shows, not during live (or buffered) analog shows, or anything digital. Unfortunately I've not encountered the symptoms you're mentioning with my Onkyo TX-SR674 (connected via HDMI) and my S3, running 9.1. Is this with the Series3, or the newer TiVo HD?

10. BillL

BillL New Member

Oct 6, 2004
    panasonic XR50. Its a Series 3 running 9.1.

11. acej80

acej80 not so "New Member"

Jan 18, 2003
    The 'Burgh
    I have this problem too. The 9.1 update "broke" something. Prior to the update, I had no problems with audio. After the update, Analog recorded shows would not have any sound. I figured out that if I told my receiver that the audio was stereo or sometimes Pro Logic II, then I'd get audio. I also confirmed that if I switch the Tivo output to PCM, no problem. Both of these work a rounds s*ck.