Integrating DVR and streaming

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by MightyDrake, Dec 19, 2017.

1. MightyDrake

MightyDrake New Member

Oct 3, 2005

Advertisements

How do most people integrate streaming shows into their viewing habits? I mean, besides binging an entire season in a weekend.

I'm finding it a bit of a chore to pick up any new streaming series. It feels like I have to go out of my way to go watch them. Is that something that everyone is just living with?

My dream solution would be an option to add a streaming series and ask the Tivo to dole out episodes to me on a schedule I choose. Say, once a week, or once every few days. And, it would be nice if the apps would report back if I did choose to watch a couple of episodes in a row. So that the Tivo would know which episode to present to me next.

So, how do you handle keeping track of your streaming shows?

2. eherberg

eherberg Active Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Import a list of series I have marked as favorites at the TVDB into Google Calendar -- set calendar to Agenda View -- boom, Watchlist. :)

3. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    While there may be many ways it won't work, here's an example of how it can work. I have Amazon Prime checked in Apps.

Program: America in Primetime. It was a PBS program from 2011 that was recently on MSNBC. But it's also available on Amazon Prime. So if I want to create a 1P for this program, here is what I should do:

1P setting for Include: Recordings and Streaming Video. Search for "American in", then select program and create 1P. Notice that there is an Amazon Prime logo in the 1P manager, not the usual TV icon.

There is a folder now, and each episode has an icon that indicates streaming. You may need to change the view. As you watch each episode, that icon is removed. Sorry if it's not clear, but there is no simple way to explain this.

One of the major issues is how long after an episode becomes available does it appear in a TiVo Search.

4. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Well except for doling them out on a schedule, that's what One Passes are supposed to do for you when you include streaming and when it works, it's great. As Joe indicated the only issue seems to be how quickly TiVo/Rovi adds the streaming shows in their guide data. Stranger Things worked great for me for season 2 with Netflix but The Grand Tour on Amazon Prime hasn't updated for me yet as the new season's episodes are released.

Scott

5. MightyDrake

MightyDrake New Member

Oct 3, 2005

Advertisements

Sorry for not getting back to this sooner. Apparently, I don't have this forum set to notify me that there were replies.

I'm a packrat, and don't habitually delete programs after I watch them. But, I guess that's the most obvious way to do it. I let them age off. I suppose if I deleted them, that might help a little. Except, that still doesn't solve the issue of the apps not reporting back to Tivo on binged episodes. So, I'd have to remember to go back in, occasionally, and delete them manually.

I guess I could keep a list on the computer, as eherberg does, to act as a reminder. Having them all in one place could help.

Anyone else have any clever ways to deal with their streaming episodic content?