Instructions to Enable component and HDMI at the same time

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Runch Machine, May 3, 2006.

1. May 3, 2006 #1 of 53
    Runch Machine

Runch Machine New Member

Feb 7, 2002
    Minneapolis

Advertisements

If your HD Tivo is modified so you can access it through your home network using Telnet, you can activate both the Component and HDMI output so they are active and usable at the same time. This is great if you want to use two TVs and have one connected via HDMI and the other connected via Component cables.

1. Telnet into your HD Tivo.
    2. Change Directory to the tvbin directory; cd /tvbin.
    3. Enter the Command: si9190test -format 10801 -c 1 -d 1
    4. Press enter and you will find both HDMI and Component outputs are now active.

If you want to output 720p then after the -format command use 7200 instead of 10801. Regardless of which format you use, you can change the format using the format button on the front of the Tivo or by using the up arrow button on the remote.

For more information on the command, enter si9190test -help

2. May 3, 2006 #2 of 53
    HiHoStevo

HiHoStevo Airport Bum

Apr 1, 2003
    Las Vegas,...
    Runch..........

Very interesting...... although my HD-Tivo has always been able to output on both Component and HDMI at the same time... at least video. For some reason (DTV says there is a known issue with getting audio out of the HDMI port) however I cannot get any audio out to my receiver (Denon 2807) from the HDMI connection.

I have tried 3 different HD-Tivo's and they all react the same. Mine are stock units with no changes whatsoever... at least not by me!

Do you have any instructions that will turn on the audio output of my HDMI connection?

3. May 3, 2006 #3 of 53
    Runch Machine

Runch Machine New Member

Feb 7, 2002
    Minneapolis
    The audio is there, my brother uses only HDMI with his Sony HDTV however, I had to turn DD5.1 off in the Tivo audio menu because the TV can't decode DD5.1. The problem must be with your receiver. There are different versions of HDMI. Perhaps your receiver's version is incompatible with the HD Tivo. However, have you tried turning Dolby Digital on or off in the Tivo audio setting to see if that makes a difference? You should be able to use digital optical with your receiver and HD TIvo.

Regarding HDMI and component both being on at the same time, which TVs are you using to test this? How did you test this to see that both were on at the same time? Did you use two different TVs both on at the same time?

4. May 3, 2006 #4 of 53
    coachO

coachO New Member

Nov 25, 2004
    near...
    Thanks Raunch. Wish MRV was this easy.

HIHO: Both my HR10s output sound on HDMI and I did have to turn off Dolby as Raunch says.

5. May 3, 2006 #5 of 53
    Rick Sass

Rick Sass New Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Sullivan,...

Advertisements

Can you point me to a link on how to modify the HD TiVo box using Telnet?

Thanx

6. May 3, 2006 #6 of 53
    HiHoStevo

HiHoStevo Airport Bum

Apr 1, 2003
    Las Vegas,...
    As I am using a front projector I do not have a television to try this out with... However I have tried a couple of DVD players and they both pass audio over HDMI to my Denon 2807.

Yes, I have followed the instructions in the book that suggest you turn off Dolby Digital, it made no difference at all unfortunately... although I cannot imagine wanting sound without DD.

I may contact the dealer I purchased the Denon from and see if he has a Yamaha 2600 I could borrow to try out and see if it works..., but I did like having the three component in's on the Denon...

The reason I am trying to not use the optical for sound is that I wanted to hook the Tivo up with both the HDMI cable and Component cables... (mine works that way normally for some reason)... that way I can check back and forth between the HDMI inputs audio/video and the Component/Optical connection to see if the de-interlacer/scaler in the Tivo works better or if it is better to feed 480i to my projector and let the Faroudja chip in the projector do the "heavy lifting" for SDTV.

Just trying to figure out if it is Denon that is screwing up or if the Tech Support guy I spoke to at DTV is correct in that most of the HD-Tivo's will not output sound over HDMI... or maybe he just said that to get me to quit calling... :D

7. May 3, 2006 #7 of 53
    rbreding

rbreding TiVo Nutjob

Dec 12, 2004
    Oklahoma City

Your kidding right ?

Google: "HR10-250 hack" :rolleyes:

8. May 3, 2006 #8 of 53
    rbreding

rbreding TiVo Nutjob

Dec 12, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Runch,

Would I be correct in assuming that this setting will stick until you reboot the TiVo or would it reset when you turn off the TV (connected via HDMI) since the HDMI would reset also ?

9. May 3, 2006 #9 of 53
    Runch Machine

Runch Machine New Member

Feb 7, 2002
    Minneapolis
    Both outputs will stay active until the receiver reboots.

10. Runch Machine

Runch Machine New Member

Feb 7, 2002
    Minneapolis
    This is what I used:

http://www.mastersav.com/tivo_zipper.html

If you are handy with computers, this is relatively easy to do. There is also a support thread in Tivo Community.

11. brj8826

brj8826 New Member

Nov 2, 2002
    Runch, I am not having luck with this. The command ran as stated but still no output to my component cables.

12. Laserfisher

Laserfisher New Member

Jun 13, 2006
    I just got the "Free" HR10-250 installed yesterday. Free equalled committment for 24 months, TIVO monthly cost and HD monthly cost, that's it. My Series 1 Philips TIVO was running off my original SONY A1 satellite reciever. These two units are plugged into my house distribution system, a Xantech ZPR68. Standard video and R and L Stereo piped to 6 rooms. I have a distantly mounted dish, due to line of sight problems with trees, with two coax trenched in the lawn for about 250'. The PROBLEM: the HR10-250 requires two coax from the dish, with no splitters in the lines. So, to get the new box working, I disconnected my original equipment. The HDTV room works, the other 6 do not. I backfed the Video, Left and Right(VLR) to the Xantech from the HR10-250. This works if I turn the resolution on the HR10-250 to the 480i, but this degrades the HDTV picture. QUESTION: can the HDMI output 1080i at the same time the VLR is outputing 480i ? If so, what do I need to do? I will trench in 2 more coax to the dish if I must, But that is a tough job and the DitchWitch is expensive to rent for a weekend.

13. Runch Machine

Runch Machine New Member

Feb 7, 2002
    Minneapolis
    HD Tivo cannot ouput 480i and and 1080 or 720 at the same time. IF you want to have both your modulator system and your HDTV on at the same time you will have to get an addional coax from your dish to another receiver.

14. Runch Machine

Runch Machine New Member

Feb 7, 2002
    Minneapolis
    It works great for me. Are you sure everything is hooked up properly and the TV is on the proper input?

15. pintnight

pintnight BOO!

Oct 6, 2004
    West of...
    What happens if I hack the leased HR10-250? Whenever DirecTV replace my HR10-250 with the new MPEG4 DVR and they take back the HR10-250, are they going to see if I hacked it?

16. rminsk

rminsk TiVoted TiVo User

Jun 4, 2002
    Marina del...
    Keep the original drive and put it back in before you return it. There is not any tamper tape on the HR10-250, at least not mine.

17. pintnight

pintnight BOO!

Oct 6, 2004
    West of...
    Ah, I replace the harddrive. That's easy to do. :cool:

Hrmm, I guess I got some reading to do. Where's the on the list of harddrive to use? Of course, I want to get a big harddrive to bump up the number of recordings.

18. ScoHo

ScoHo New Member

May 31, 2005
    Runch, you rock...thanks for the tip. This is something I've been wanting to do ever since I got my HR10-250 over a year ago. I have my main RPTV, which the HR10 was hooked up to (via component), then I have a smaller LCD over my bar (that has HDMI) that I've wanted to be able to show exactly what the RPTV shows. With this command, this is now possible.

However...I tried it and noticed that #1) it only worked when both outputs were active (meaning, both the RPTV and LCD TVs were turned ON) and #2) Once I turned one of them off, it reset back to the way it was (where I could only use one at a time). I suppose this isn't a HUGE deal, since the only time I would want to utilize this would be if I had people over (like for a game or something) and I could just activate it for the times I needed it. But do you know of any way to make it permanent?

19. brj8826

brj8826 New Member

Nov 2, 2002
    Yeah, I am 99% sure. I have the big TV hooked up using the HDMI and my bedroom TV hooked up with the components. The HDMI will always work when plugged in. The component will only work when I unplug the HDMI. Plugging in the HDMI automatically shuts off the component feed.

20. gworkman

gworkman Member

Feb 6, 2006
    Las Vegas, NV
    After typing the command, I get:

Changed Broadcom output format to 10801
    Broadcom DVI colorspace set to YCbCr

Component is still not active. I've tried every combination I can think of relative to which tvs are on...
    HDMI set on/Component on
    HDMI set off/Component on
    HDMI set on/Component off
    both sets off
    and no luck....

Is the output I'm seeing correct? Is there a different version of si9190test I should be looking for?