InstantCake Question

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by CodysWorld, May 26, 2007.

1. CodysWorld

CodysWorld New Member

Mar 22, 2007
    Monterey, CA

Advertisements

A few weeks ago I decided to replace my stock hard drive on my HR-10. (which has 6.3d)
    I replaced it with a Seagate 500GB. I installed InstantCake ver6.3d.
    Here's my problem. Every few days I will get the message to "Activate Your DVR Service" I will call Directv and they will re-send info to the DVR. Things are fine for a few days, then we start all over again. As a test I put the stock drive back in and things work fine.
    Would this be a drive problem or a software problem? DTV's answer is "your DVR is going bad, let us send you a HR20"....not going to happen! Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

2. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    It's not a drive problem. Did you do a Clear and Delete Everything? If not, do so.

3. CodysWorld

CodysWorld New Member

Mar 22, 2007
    Monterey, CA
    I did a clear and delete when I installed the drive..would doing another one help?

4. JonR

JonR Member

May 1, 2004
    Xenia, OH
    Not that this helps but............I installed IC 6.3d a month ago and it has performed flawlessly. Maybe you should do a low level format and re-install.

John

5. kcmurphy88

kcmurphy88 New Member

Jul 5, 2003
    Los Angeles

Advertisements

Is a phone line connected? Did you install any hacks, such as the networking package or the no-phone-line option, or just a straight InstantCake install?

Have you asked the DVRPl**ground folks?

6. AustinJerry

AustinJerry New Member

Nov 7, 2001
    Austin, Texas
    I also recently used Instant Cake 6.3c on a HR10-250 with 2x500GB DB35 drives. I have not experienced this issue with IC, so tend to believe it is specific to your system.

7. CodysWorld

CodysWorld New Member

Mar 22, 2007
    Monterey, CA
    No hacks, just a straight InstantCake install. The phone line is connected.

8. temp357

temp357 New Member

Feb 18, 2004
    I had the same problem including invalid access card. Best bet is to get the 3.1.5f instant cake. Since I've downgraded i've had none of this nonsense.

9. CodysWorld

CodysWorld New Member

Mar 22, 2007
    Monterey, CA
    Can anyone suggest a downloadable program I can use to do a low level format?

10. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    The drive's manufacturer may have a program to do a low level format.

11. CodysWorld

CodysWorld New Member

Mar 22, 2007
    Monterey, CA
    Thanks, Jim...I'll try that.

12. CodysWorld

CodysWorld New Member

Mar 22, 2007
    Monterey, CA
    Ok...here we go again...as suggested, I did a low level format on the drive, reinstalled the InstantCake software ver.6.3d. I then did a clear and delete. Everything seemed fine for a few days then low and behold I'm getting the "Activate your DVR Service" again. Anyone have any clues to help me solve this problem? I think I'll try installing ver.6.3c.

13. tivoupgrade

tivoupgrade Sponsor

Sep 27, 2000
    Chicago, IL...
    Couple of things...

... you should not have had to do a "clear and delete everything" for things to work, initially. With that said, doing so shouldn't hurt anything.

As for the "activate your DVR service" message, that could be one of several things:

1) your service truly isn't active
    2) your card is damaged
    3) your unit isn't plugged into the satellite sources (your sub status won't update until the signal is fully acquired from the satellite)
    4) you haven't specified your satellite settings properly
    5) your unit is damaged (perhaps a bad card reader)

This does not sound like a software problem at all; but it could be as simple as a setup problem...

14. CodysWorld

CodysWorld New Member

Mar 22, 2007
    Monterey, CA
    Hi,
    Thanks for the reply....When I reboot the unit I will get "Account in Good Standing"message. This will last about 3 days then the same message appears again. When I reinstalled the drive that I originally took out, everything works fine, which is a 250 GB Seagate that I instantcaked months ago and has worked flawlessy and still does, just not enough storage space for my needs.
    When I called DTV, they show DVR service active on all 3 of my receivers. They're just dying to send me a HR20..not going to happen.
    I'm Sooo confused !
    Thanks, Cody

15. tivoupgrade

tivoupgrade Sponsor

Sep 27, 2000
    Chicago, IL...
    OK, well, you've definitely eliminated a bunch of variables putting your old drive back in; you might want to run manufacturer's diagnostics on the drive associated with the problems you are having, and my guess is that you will likely find a problem.

BTW, this thread might be better suited to the "upgrade center" in the underground since it does involve a modified TiVo...