Instantcake For Hr-20

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by matthewliebman, Aug 26, 2007.

1. matthewliebman

matthewliebman New Member

Jun 1, 2002
    Is there and Instantcake program for the HR20?

2. rminsk

rminsk TiVoted TiVo User

Jun 4, 2002
    Marina del...
    The HR20 is not a TiVo. There are not any modifications I know of at this time for the HR20.

3. atlantadan

atlantadan New Member

Aug 8, 2005
    hope the regulars don't mind me asking, but what is "Instantcake"?

4. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    The HR20 doesn't need anything like InstantCake, which is a bootable CD from dvrupgrade.com that restores an image of a TiVo disk onto a new disk. For the HR20, you just install a blank disk and power up - it does the rest. In fact I did this myself yesterday with a 750GB drive. There is also a front panel button sequence that will "reformat" the drive.

5. IOTP

IOTP New Member

Aug 7, 2001
    Desert...
    If I am reading this correctly, you can *REPLACE* the factory installed 320GB drive, with a larger drive and it will auto-recover and lay down the new image? When it boots up?

Did you have to call DTV to reactivate or anything else?

What SATA drive did you end up going with?

I would like to do this with my HR20 and not have to use the "external eSATA" port. Cutting down on power and noise of the unit.

I can pick up an internal 500GB SATA for about $99. The local Fry's has the 750GB for $189.

But you think that a 750GB would be a better option? How much more programming from the stock 300GB to 500GB you think that would give me?

Or should I just look at doing the 750GB drive and be done with it?

Thanks in advance..

6. IOTP

IOTP New Member

Aug 7, 2001
    Desert...
    One other thing, too bad I cannot use Ghost or something to image over the current drive & content to the new replacement drive. :(

7. jimb726

jimb726 New Member

Jan 4, 2007
    Cleveland, Ohio
    You can replace it in the sense that when you install the esata drive the internal one is no longer used. The hr-20 will format and use the external drive exclusively not in addition to the internal drive. If you open the unit up, you instanly void any warranty and could be subject to penalty in the event you need to send the unit back for a replacement.

8. IOTP

IOTP New Member

Aug 7, 2001
    Desert...
    Understood, however if I open the unit and replace the internal drive and "shelve" the old drive I am good to go, in case of a failure :)

I have seen no "seal" on the HR20 that I can remember.

By replacing the internal SATA drive with a larger one, it cuts down on the noise and heat.

9. Billy66

Billy66 Again with shoelaces

Dec 15, 2003
    Yep, just hook it up and go. Either internally or via the external port. No need to call, just plug and play. As already mentioned, it replaces the other drive, it doesn't add to it.

10. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    No "activation" is needed - just boot it up and wait a few minutes. I used the WD Caviar SE16 750GB model.

11. IOTP

IOTP New Member

Aug 7, 2001
    Desert...
    That solves that dillema. Heading to Fry's, Worse Buy, or Circus City tonight to get a drive.

I'll let you know my results.

12. IOTP

IOTP New Member

Aug 7, 2001
    Desert...
    What sort of record time will a 500GB drive get me?

I know on the HR10-250, it was 63 HD / 420+ SD.

Anyone know?

13. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    It depends. For a 300GB drive, I read:
    so applying a 5/3 factor, I would get:
    Estimated Recording Space (Not a cumulative value)
    ~ 50 Hours of MPEG-2 (OTA) HD
    ~ 85 Hours of MPEG-4 HD
    ~ 334 Hours of Standard Definition (SD)

I think the discrepancy between this and the HR10 is that the HR20 has more "reserved" space on the disk. I would expect that the spaced used per hour for MPEG2/SD would be identical to the HR10.

Please ask detailed HR20 questions at dbstalk.com

14. IOTP

IOTP New Member

Aug 7, 2001
    Desert...
    Looking around there, and still searching for the answer. :)

15. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Took me about two minutes to find the data I gave you.