Instantcake didn't work for me

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by Laird, Feb 21, 2006.

1. Laird

Laird New Member

Mar 28, 2002

Advertisements

Tried using Instantcake to set up a drive for my Series 1. Ran through its paces just fine, and received the 'successful' message at the end. Unfortunately when I put the drive in the TiVo, all I get is the 'starting up' message. I hear the drive chatter (access) for a few seconds, then it stops talking - seems like TiVo is unable to find the OS on it. I even repeated the procedure, again getting the successful message, but with the exact same result. Any ideas?

2. funtoupgrade

funtoupgrade New Member

Mar 15, 2005
    Replacement for original drive or an added second drive? Make sure your drive jumpers are correct.

3. Laird

Laird New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    This is a replacement drive. I had two drives in the unit, but one of them is going bad - at least I think that's what causing the freezes. So I got a new drive and tried to set it up. I've tried placing it in the TiVo with different jumper settings, to no avail...

4. funtoupgrade

funtoupgrade New Member

Mar 15, 2005
    When you have two drives in a TiVo they are married and you cannot just remove one and expect it to still work or just replace the second drive with a separately imaged drive. I suggest you first test both of your old drives with the downloadable manufacturer's drive test utilities to determine whether either or both are bad. Once you have two good drives you need to hook them both up to the computer and run instantcake again for a dual drive system. This will erase everything on both drives and start over.

5. Laird

Laird New Member

Mar 28, 2002

Advertisements

I was actually just replacing both drives with one new one - the old ones are 20Gb and 80Gb, which I'm replacing with a 160Gb new drive. I still have the old ones that I pulled - getting the shows off them is a question for a different place/time - I'm just trying to get the one new drive to 'take'.