Instant Cake

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by mrmax, Sep 6, 2007.

1. Sep 6, 2007 #1 of 21
    mrmax

mrmax New Member

Mar 13, 2002
    Schenectady,...

Advertisements

Hi,
    I have a question on the instant cake images. Does every model of directivo have a distinct image, or do some of them overlap. Example - could an instant cake image from an HDVR2 be used on a DVR80 unit.

2. Sep 6, 2007 #2 of 21
    stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Some of them overlap, but (I think) not those two as the DVR80 is a RID receiver and the HDVR2 is not.

3. Sep 6, 2007 #3 of 21
    whitepelican

whitepelican Member

Feb 14, 2005
    That image would work just fine to get up and running. Afterwards, unless you are hacking the unit, it would simply update the software to the correct version on its own. At the worst, it would show the wrong info in the system information screen.

4. Sep 6, 2007 #4 of 21
    snickerrrrs

snickerrrrs Tech-no Guide

Mar 30, 2006
    Southern...
    Spend the $20 and get the right image. :mad:

5. Sep 6, 2007 #5 of 21
    whitepelican

whitepelican Member

Feb 14, 2005

Advertisements

Or just send me the $20 if you are just going to throw it away.

6. Sep 6, 2007 #6 of 21
    stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    I suggest asking in the Upgrade section of the forum, or perhaps at dvrupgrade.com's own forum. I know that not all S2 DTiVo images are interchangeable, but I don't know the exact models in each category.

But heck - it costs nothing to try it if you already have the HDVR2 version.

7. Sep 6, 2007 #7 of 21
    tivoupgrade

tivoupgrade Sponsor

Sep 27, 2000
    Chicago, IL...
    They are all slightly different. There is a very old thread rolling around somewhere (subject: Don't Be A Moron) written by an X-TiVo employee discussing the fact that although some images are somewhat inter-changeable, it does cause some issues/confusion on the server when the units dial in; I don't mean to offend by quoting the subject of that thread, the old timers will attest that the phrase was chosen many years ago by Mr Bullwinkle...

So anyway, whether the specific recommendation has always been to ensure the correct image is installed, and most importantly, if you are using the "wrong" image, don't talk about it, don't promote it and especially don't let your unit dial in!

8. Sep 7, 2007 #8 of 21
    whitepelican

whitepelican Member

Feb 14, 2005
    I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with you there. Particularly on your last statement.

I know from experience that all of the different flavors of 6.2 for DirecTivos work just fine on other S2 DirecTivos. I would have to assume you actually know how these things work, in which case you're being deliberately obtuse just to try to get an additional $20 from someone. I've run several hacked DirecTivos w/ version 6.2 for years with the wrong minor versions, and it hasn't mattered one iota.

Also, if you do load the wrong version on the box, and you don't plan on hacking the box, you can simply force a call and it will download/install the correct version. I've done this a number of times also. So I don't think you quoting a 7-year-old thread is very relevant.

Your "don't talk about it, don't promote it and especially don't let your unit dial in!" really only applies to a hacked box which is running the wrong version.

9. Sep 7, 2007 #9 of 21
    IOTP

IOTP New Member

Aug 7, 2001
    Desert...
    Yesterday I used a DSR6000 image on a GXCEBOT. Worked fine, only thing I noticed were the "Phillips" logos and in the system information receiver type it stated DSR6000 not GXCEBOT.

No bigs, since it's a Series 1, does it really matter?

10. tivoupgrade

tivoupgrade Sponsor

Sep 27, 2000
    Chicago, IL...
    What I did was specifically remind people that a spokesperson from TiVo was quite specific and emphatic in his desire to prevent people from running the wrong versions of software on the wrong boxes. I have no reason to believe that the sentiment has changed.

The fact that the "DONT BE A MORON" thread is about seven years old is all the more reason to remind folks.. Lots of newbies around here tend to over simplify and forget some of the basic rules of upgrading.

There are many longstanding members of the community who go out of their way to honor TiVo's wishes and ensure that we don't do things which tick them off; doing so will just taunt them into making an effort to prevent upgrades in the future. Obviously this was a bigger concern in the past, when upgrading was new, but the reality is that we should never take things for granted.

While I have no problem with you disagreeing with me on a technical issue, I do have a problem with your assessment of my intentions and the accusation of being "deliberately obtuse"; you are wrong and given that you don't even know me, I find it hard to believe that you would not give me the benefit of the doubt. You've misjudged me and you've greatly misunderstood the basis of our business and why we created tools like IC in the first place.

So folks, please don't install the wrong software on your systems, regardless of whether it appears to work or not. And if you do, please don't plug in your phone lines or make calls over the network. And until TiVo says otherwise, it is still bad form to install the "wrong" software on your unit.

I'll check out of this thread now because I don't want to get into an argument about my true intentions and motivations; it really doesn't matter too much to me whether you trust me or not, but I'd like to think most folks would at this point.

Lou

11. IOTP

IOTP New Member

Aug 7, 2001
    Desert...
    I have only one comment to make -- WOW!

12. doyling

doyling Member

Aug 11, 2006
    Hey Lou I understand your point and respect it. I have done many upgrades and repairs for people along the way. Though paying $20 for the right version cuts into my profit, I feel that it provides for a more reliable repair and a better service for the owner. I don't feel rigging something up is the right way to do things, and I feel it cuts into my own integrity.

Just my two bits

Patrick

13. rbtravis

rbtravis New Member

Aug 9, 2005
    Parker, Co....
    Ask your self a question. Why has TIVO spent millions maintaining Multiple versions of software for all of these years? Are they trying to make money for DVRupgrade? I think not. And why are so many complaints about 6.3e. It works perfectly on all my Tivos. And all my Tivos are Instantcaked. Maybe it is more than random chance. If you want to risk something going wrong with your Tivo listen to dumb birds. Most of the people who know what they are doing are recommending Instantcake. There is a reason why both Directv and Tivo are maintaining multiple versions, they are not telling me why, but I want to use my Tivo's in the future and not have to post notices as to why they not working!

14. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    There are a couple of different things going on here...

The "don't be a moron" thing is based on the problem that the early TiVo software, maybe not current, had the hardware type encoded into the software. For some of these, the actual code differences may have been minor or none, but what would happen is that if the type in the software didn't match the TSN, the next time it called in to TiVo it would try to download the "correct" software, reboot, fail, and repeat the cycle. TiVo didn't like that.

As new hardware variations came out, TiVo "forked" the software development. On the DTiVo side, this occurred with the introduction of RID receivers, with the HR10 and with the R10. Eventually the development streams would get merged, and that's what we're seeing with 6.3e. The Series 3 had the same problem - some features added to Series 2 (KidZone, in particular), were not in the S3 development stream and had to be added back later.

With DTiVos, there is somewhat greater flexibility regarding versions, but there can be problems mixing RID and non-RID.

I do software development in real life, and my company operates much the same way - new projects "fork" the development stream while they work off to the side so as to not disturb the mainline product. At some point in the future, the changes are merged.

15. whitepelican

whitepelican Member

Feb 14, 2005
    Right, why not listen to someone who who stands to make a profit instead. I was trying to help a fellow Tivo user out and save him a couple of dollars along the way. I speak from experience of loading Tivo software and hacking many, many DirecTivos over the past few years. And the guy who does this for a living quoted a seven-year-old thread regarding one specific software problem.

Because for the most part those people are either seeing dollar signs or being stupid and/or lazy.

I'm just curious where that opinion came from? Has there been some evidence of that either here or elsewhere? I've never had any problems mixing RID/Non-RID versions since 6.2 was released, and I have some Tivos that have been running for years on mismatched versions.

16. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    I've seen others having the problem, but it may not be an issue starting with 6.x.

17. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    Stupid is a little harsh and $20 to be lazy is just fine for a lot of folks. A lot of people will pay for good product that helps them do a job faster... myself included (mainly for SA Tivos).

However, I do not believe that versions matter too much when using DTivos.

18. poppagene

poppagene User

Dec 29, 2001
    The units are for all purpoases identical except for the branding/logo.

19. tivoupgrade

tivoupgrade Sponsor

Sep 27, 2000
    Chicago, IL...
    Let's get things back on topic.

To the original poster:

Please do not use InstantCake to install the WRONG version of the software on your unit. TiVo made it clear that although some versions of the software appear to work properly on other units (this was an issue that caused problems with Series1 units), there ARE differences and it caused problems with TiVo.

It is with THAT in mind that we do our very best to uphold their wishes and to dissuade unsuspecting upgraders from thinking otherwise, and potentially causing problems.

I don't know about you, but I'd hate to see TiVo take measures to prevent upgrades in the future because of problems created by installing the wrong software.

I feel it is important to set the record straight and do my best to outline a 'best practice' that really should be adhered to, in my opinion. Its unfortunate, that folks are drawing conclusions based on other things, and most importantly, willing to do (and promote) the opposite of what TiVo made very clear, was not a good idea.

I have searched high and low for the "Don't be a moron..." thread, but unfortunately it does not appear to be in the archives (they don't go back far enough). Stevel did sum up my recollection of its scope in an earlier post.

I've requested that the thread be closed so that it doesn't continue to drift off-topic and/or result in more personal attacks.

Cheers

20. jdmac29

jdmac29 New Member

Aug 8, 2007
    I want to put a new larger hd in my tivo I have the samsung sirs4040r, the 40gb model. It currently has the 6.3e software on it.
    If I purchase the instant cake cd which is 6.2 will the drive still work if my tivo updates the software to the current version 6.3e?
    Thanks
    jdmac29