instant cake questions

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by dean9000, Oct 4, 2007.

1. dean9000

dean9000 New Member

Oct 3, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I have a corrupt image so I need to start fresh

A couple of questions though....

1. does it wipe the new drive clean during it's imaging process or do I need to do that first? (i have tried other methods of recovery that has been blasting my new drive with bad images) if I do need to wipe it clean what should I use? fdisk perhaps?

2. once I image it using instant cake do I still need to run the mfsadd to expand the capacity or does it do it for me.......

2. rbtravis

rbtravis New Member

Aug 9, 2005
    Parker, Co....
    1. It runs to fast to do a disk wipe.
    2. No it does that for you.
    The above questions are answered based on my experience with Instantcake, a great product. Lou Jacobs - tivoupgrade is the ultimate source on the product. :)

3. dean9000

dean9000 New Member

Oct 3, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    what's the best method for wiping it clean? I am wary of using fdisk as it is a dos utility and I don't want it to lay down something that would monkey with the instantcake image...

4. rbtravis

rbtravis New Member

Aug 9, 2005
    Parker, Co....
  5. dean9000

dean9000 New Member

Oct 3, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    thanks that looks like it will do the trick

6. HomeUser

HomeUser Active Member

Jan 12, 2003
    A2 Michigan
    You really do not need to "Wipe" the disk. Instant Cake will lay out a completely new partition table, boot sector and partitions.

If you have Acronis Disk Director it has a wipe function also.

7. rbtravis

rbtravis New Member

Aug 9, 2005
    Parker, Co....
    Remember to change the 2032 battery when you are replacing the hard drive. Battery life is about 3 years.

8. dean9000

dean9000 New Member

Oct 3, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Good. I won't bother wiping it clean then. I guess I will run by the store and pick up one of those batteries...mine's going on 5 years now....

Thanks fellas.... :)

9. dean9000

dean9000 New Member

Oct 3, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Well my series 2 is back and operational! Instant cake has a convert here....couldn't have been easier. Lost my recordings but now I have over 500 hours of recording space! I really don't even have enough time to watch what I had before but the kid movies were pushing the 80 gig limit. Now there should be no worries...

One question though....what version of software should I be running? It's currently at version 7 something.... I assume if there is a more recent version it will download it on its' own?