Installing Pytivo...first time user

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by aclinml, Dec 17, 2010.

1. aclinml

aclinml New Member

Aug 27, 2009

Advertisements

Hi, I have been downloading some cartoon movies for my grandson, using a bit torrent. After transferring them to the Tivo (pull) they end up as individual entries in the NPL. I would like to be able to group them under one folder name. I understand that Pytivo will do this. I found this thread that talked about using Pytivo to do just that.....

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=7555181#post7555181

I would like to know exactly what and where I need to download the stuff I need to do this. I am running Windows 7 64bit mode. It seems like there was some question about having Python installed in 32bit mode?

Any help would be appreciated.
    Mike

2. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I don't know, but why not just record them, or watch them on netflix, or rent/buy the cartoons, instead of pirating them?

3. phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...
  4. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH

Advertisements

Ah yes, the 800 lb gorilla in our forum. I suspect if pirating could actually be prevented at least two major changes would occur:

1. About 80% of the interest in this forum for things like pyTiVo and processing .mkv files would vanish.

2. Prices for copyrighted content would drop substantially since the legitimate market demand for them would increase so much that the production costs could be spread over a much larger sales volume.

I have to agree the current prices are too high for me. I've been tempted by BitTorrent and have considered all the rationalizations used to justify pirating. But in the end I can't justify it. I think this is a case where the cheaters are ruining it for the honest people.

5. Ed_Hunt

Ed_Hunt Pokerpro

Jan 2, 2004
    Patterson,...
    LOL, you honestly believe, and I think you do, that the music people would say "we're making enough money now, lets drop the prices". I don't think so, these are the same people that signed artists for nothing then kept the royalties for themselves, and no matter how much they bring in on a movie it never seems to make a profit. By the way, try living on Social Security for a while, you will justify it in a hurry.
    Ed

6. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    LOL right back at you! I infer from your comments that you are living on social security. Judging by the list of goodies in your signature it appears you aren't suffering too much, or did you win those at poker? And would you justify cheating at poker because you're living on Social Security? (Your comments seem to imply such a justification of cheating regarding videos and music pirating.)

My prediction about prices lowering isn't based on any assumption of altruism or high ethical behavior -- rather just on market forces, the law of supply and demand. And as the theme song for "Monk" goes: "I could be wrong -- but I don't think so". :p

7. TolloNodre

TolloNodre En Fuego

Nov 3, 2007
    You're ignoring of course Veblen goods.

Companies charge whatever price the market will support - supply and demand play into that but it's certainly not the only two variables.

http://krypton.mnsu.edu/~renner/supdem.htm

8. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Unless it's something rare and out of print you can probably find a used DVD on-line for a few dollars or subscribe to netflix for $10 per month. The cost has effectively dropped substantially. Maybe the program will show up on TV eventually. Set up a wish list search on your Tivo to record the show when it shows up. You're not saving that much money downloading a torrent nowadays and you open yourself up to the risk of being sued, if you don't configure your torrent software properly.

9. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    You are right of course. My words ("supply and demand") were hastily chosen. Perhaps just leaving it at "market forces" would have been better. Anyway the point is my prediction of lower prices wasn't based on some naive notion that sellers would lower their prices just out of the goodness of their hearts. I have a hard time believing the Veblen effect would apply in most video and audio transactions. It's inconsistent with the mass piracy going on now.

Speaking of the Veblen effect, I used to carpool in the '70's with a guy who owned a '60's vintage Mercedes sedan. It rode like a truck and was always requiring some expensive repair or another. I could only guess the Veblen effect explained why people considered that such a premium brand -- at least at that time.

10. jeremyz

jeremyz BillingInfoReceived

Apr 11, 2006
    Here's some help, Mike - set a better example for your grandson.

11. Phantom Gremlin

Phantom Gremlin Active Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Tualatin,...
    Yes, Netflix is an amazing value. The DVD selection is huge. And, as someone has already pointed out, it's difficult to believe that people who own 60" plasma TVs are living hand-to-mouth.

But don't get me going on copyright. Why is Casablanca still in copyright 70 years after it was made? The studios "steal" from the people and artists, so the people "steal" from the studios. As Zathras said: "But, at least there is symmetry."

12. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I guess I'm part of the 20%. Though I used to use a DVD recorder for this function, since I finally got my S3 & TivoHD hooked to the network, I have been downloading shows from the Tivo (mostly for the same reason I was before -- saving musical performance shows & music performances from late night talk shows).

Because the creators of it should get paid? It's still in the what, life + 50 years, time limit?
    Wasn't the old limit 2 28 year periods? So even if that were in force, it would only be _recently_ out of copyright.

13. Phantom Gremlin

Phantom Gremlin Active Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Tualatin,...
    It doesn't really matter what the current time limit is, Congress will be paid off and will extend the limits once anything comes close to expiring. The phrase "limited times" in the US Constitution apparently means "until hell freezes over".

Earlier in this country's history the period was 14 + 14. Even at 28 + 28, Casablance should have come off copyright over a decade ago. That's not my understanding of the word "recently", but these things are all relative, aren't they?

My tax dollars are paying for draconian enforcement of copyright. Humphrey Bogart has been dead for over 50 years. And I'm sure the studios screwed all the "creative" people out of any residual money for Casablanca many decades ago. The "social contract" between the people and the studios is so one-sided that IMO it clearly violates the intent of the framers of the Constitution. It's clearly detrimental to the country as a whole; all it does is enrich a gaggle of media companies that then dissipate the money on drugs and whores.

Sorry, I know this is way OT for this thread. It's just one of my hot buttons.