Installing Cable Card in TivoHD

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Hcour, May 24, 2019.

1. Hcour

Hcour Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2007
    After 10 yrs of OTA, Spectrum has finally made me an offer I can't refuse and I'm getting the installation kit tomorrow. First time I've done this with a Tivo:

1 - Remove the OTA cable from my Tivo.
    2 - Attach the Spectrum cable to my Tivo.
    3 - Install cable card in slot on the right.
    4 - Activate cable card.
    5 - Clear currently scanned channels.
    6 - Scan for new channels.

Am I missing anything? Thankye.

2. JLV03

JLV03 Active Member

Feb 12, 2018
    Doesn't the HD have two coax inputs (one for OTA and another for Cable)? If so, I say keep the antenna hooked up and just add the cable!

3. Wil

Wil Unknown Member

Sep 26, 2002
    When I had Cable that's what I did because the OTA for locals was better quality.

4. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    And don't the Series 3's have 2 Cable Card slots?

And you won't need to 'scan'. The Channels will download from TiVo.

-KP

5. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    While the TivoHD is a "series 3" family, it's not the original OLED "Series 3", the TivoHD can use a single multi-stream card which is the only card you'll see around today, the older OLED units are the ones that required even 2 multi-stream cards.
    and OP, you have 2 coax connectors on the back so you can have OTA and Cable hooked up simultaneously and recorded from simultaneously.

6. Hcour

Hcour Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2007
    Thanks for the info. Great. I'll keep both channel sources.

So the Tivo will automatically download the Spectrum channels? Should I reboot after installing the cable card?

7. KJN

KJN Member

Feb 24, 2019
    Boston area
    The Tivo itself will walk you through setup. Make sure you write down all the numbers from the cablecard. Call Spectrums activation number, they should ask you for all the card numbers, and all your channels should appear while you are on the phone with them. I have Comcast, who are terrible at setting up cards, but if you get to the right person, it is quite easy and quick.

8. 59er

59er TiVotee

Mar 27, 2008
    New York, NY
    For Spectrum, you may need a tuning adapter to properly get all channels (and especially to get all channels in HD).

JACKASTOR likes this.
  9. Hcour

Hcour Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2007
    For cripes sake. Thanks for telling me. I told the guy I had a Tivo and he didn't say anything about an adapter.

Turns out I'm not getting the card until Wed. Not sure I'm going to do it now, if I have to buy one of these things. Dammit.

10. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    A TA is always free. The aggravation with using it is also free.

dianebrat and unclehonkey like this.
  11. Hcour

Hcour Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2007
    Ah. Ok. Thankye. So this will be in the kit they're sending, with the card and cables.

12. Hcour

Hcour Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2007
    Cable card came today, just the card, no cables, no splitter, no TA, no instructions. So I went to the back of my closet and dug out my box of cables and stuff, found cables and a splitter, connected everything, inserted the cable card, called Spectrum to activate it. After much "consulting" with her "team" the rep was able to pair my card, but then the channels wouldn't download. I asked her if I would need a Tuning Adapter, she put me on hold again to do some more "consulting". Meanwhile I rebooted the Tivo. She came back on, said because of my location I would indeed need a TA. No big deal, there's a Spectrum store a few minutes away. While I'm getting dressed to go to the store the Tivo finishes the reboot and there's a message that I need to run Guided Setup again because I have new service. Hmmm. So I went through the setup and it found all my channels. They are all there, all in HD. PQ looks fine.

kpeters59 likes this.