Installing a DVR expander

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by Tipperton, Jul 6, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Jul 6, 2019 #1 of 32
    Tipperton

Tipperton Member

May 23, 2017
    Hi!

I have purchased a Western Digital DVR expander for my 1TB Bolt. I have found instructions for setting it up, but those instruction end with "Follow the on-screen instructions".

Unfortunately I am blind and do not know if the screen reader will read those instructions to me. So, can anyone tell me what the on-screen instructions will be? I want to know before I even start so that if needed, I will wait until I have sighted assistance before proceeding.

Thanks!

2. Jul 6, 2019 #2 of 32
    ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    I do not know where you got the expander because its no longer made and is not recommended to be used. These have been known to fail and then you will lose all your recorded shows This device is also out of date, previously made for the Series 3 at that time.

3. Jul 6, 2019 #3 of 32
    Tipperton

Tipperton Member

May 23, 2017
    I found it on eBay, it is brand new and in its original retail box. It is a Western Digital DVR Expander 1TB WD My Book AV WDBABT0010HBK.

Unfortunately, being blind I feel that doing something like disassembling the Bolt to replace its hard drive is beyond my abilities and I'm not keen on sending my Bolt off to someone like weaknees to do the upgrade either, so this is my only option.

My box is currently 95% full, so unless I want to start deleting things, I'll need to expand my storage capacity some how.

Mikeguy likes this.
  4. Jul 6, 2019 #4 of 32
    ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    I assume your Bolt is running v21.7x+, hydra, or else I would suggest downloading shows to a computer and store them on a NAS using KMTTG, PyTivo. With Hydra, its only one way, Tivo to PC.

5. Jul 6, 2019 #5 of 32
    Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    OP, simply parenthetically, if you are on TiVo's earlier user interface (referred to as TE3 (TiVo Experience 3)) and would like advice for downloading and uploading shows between your TiVo box and your computer, to make space on your TiVo box, please just let us know--it's an easy process with some easy-to-use freeware out there, and I am sure that people here would be happy to advise. (Likewise if you are on the most recent TiVo user interface, referred to as TE4 or often as Hydra or Mira, but with the recognition that, as mentioned above, TE4 does not allow for PC-to-TiVo box transfers.)

Unfortunately, I haven't used a TiVo expander, and so can't advise there--sorry.

6. Jul 6, 2019 #6 of 32
    Tipperton

Tipperton Member

May 23, 2017
    No, I am running TE3.

Using a second Bolt I bought on eBay for $50 I looked at TE4 and found that from a blind user's perspective, it had nothing I wanted. So I never upgraded my daily use box and downgraded the second box back to TE3 before I put it away.

The second box is purely for experimenting as I did when I tried TE4. It allowed me to experiment with TE4 while leaving my daily use box untouched.

7. Jul 6, 2019 #7 of 32
    yesno

yesno Active Member

Jun 27, 2003
    Arizona
    6. A few minutes after the TiVo box has finished restarting, a screen will appear asking to marry (or link) the expander:
    Select Yes, set up external storage device to begin marrying the DVR Expander to the TiVo box.
    7. From the External Storage screen, select Yes, set up this device. The Set Up External Storage screen will appear.
    8. Once you have read the warning message, press Thumbs Down on your TiVo remote three times, then press Enter.
    9. The TiVo box will automatically restart again. After a few minutes, a screen will appear verifying the setup was successful

Tipperton likes this.
  8. Jul 6, 2019 #8 of 32
    ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    If you had the previous model, Roamio, it would have been much easier to upgrade the internal drive to 3TB (or larger), but the Bolt is different. They use laptop drives and is smaller then those for a PC. I consider Bolts trash due to the large failure rates.

For the expander, if you are really going to use it, it may require a new, data cable with a longer connector for the Bolt. You would need to contact Tivo for a free cable.

9. Jul 6, 2019 #9 of 32
    Tipperton

Tipperton Member

May 23, 2017
    Thank you!

Do you know if all of the TiVo software has loaded when the external storage screen is displayed or not? I ask because if it has, the screen reader might be functional when that screen is displayed.

The data cable that came with the DVR expander is 3 feet long, that should be plenty long enough for me as I plan to put the expander on the same shelf in my entertainment center that the Bolt is on.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
  10. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    Experimenting is fun.

I found the following webpages from TiVo, which might be exactly what you are looking for regarding the TiVo expander, explaining the entire hook-up procedure and more:

1. The full TiVo expander hook-up procedure, including the TiVo box online settings process once the expander is physically attached to the TiVo box: https://support.tivo.com/articles/I...iguration/How-to-Add-or-Remove-a-DVR-Expander

2. A TiVo expander FAQ page: https://support.tivo.com/articles/Features_Use/My-Book-DVR-Expander-FAQ

3. A TiVo expander troubleshooting page:
    https://support.tivo.com/articles/Troubleshooting/DVR-Expander-Troubleshooting/.

In the end, the steps are fairly easy. If your PC or screen reader has an issue with the linked webpages, I'd be happy to paste the information here--just drop a word.

(And again, if you want to pursue the TiVo box-to-PC show transfer angle, just drop a line. Again, easy to do with freeware developed by one of the moderators here, pyTivo Desktop. Its website: pyTivo Desktop. And its discussion thread here: Easier to use pyTivo (but beware: the discussion thread is now up to 99 pages! it may be easier just to post questions than reading through all of that).

11. Tipperton

Tipperton Member

May 23, 2017
    For what it's worth, other than software glitches created by TiVo, my Bolt has been flawless for the two and a half years I've had it.

Knock on wood.

kpeters59 and Mikeguy like this.
  12. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    I am glad that you stuck with TE3 and not going with Hydra. There are just too many bugs in there.

13. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    From the instructions, it's not clear when the first external storage screen is displayed and if the TiVo software has fully loaded by then. But it looks like, as a second option, you separately can go to the external storage screen under the TiVo box's regular settings screens (after the TiVo box has fully started up and is functioning) to complete the external storage setup process. (The TiVo expander connection instructions state: After you have disconnected the TiVo box's power cord, attached the expander to the TiVo box, attached the expander's power cord to power, and re-attached, 15 seconds later, the TiVo box's power cord, "A few minutes after the TiVo box has finished restarting, a screen will appear asking to marry (or link) the expander: Select Yes, set up external storage device to begin marrying the DVR Expander to the TiVo box. Note: If you decide to set up your DVR Expander later, select Skip for now. You can continue the setup process later by pressing the TiVo button on your TiVo remote to go to the TiVo Central screen." But you still might need someone around, in case this expander setup screen, asking you to choose whether to complete the expander setup process now or later, appears before the screen reader is active.)

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
  14. Tipperton

Tipperton Member

May 23, 2017
    In that case, just to avoid any possible difficulties, I'll wait until I have sighted assistance available before I connect it all together.

15. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    What is your location?

16. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    Yeah, I just wouldn't want you sitting there, in the TiVo startup phase and before the TiVo box is running and at the normal operation screens, with the box waiting for you to respond to a "Do you want to set up the expander now?" screen (and not moving on after a short time of no response) and you not knowing that this screen is there because a screen reader is not active.

But maybe someone else here who has gone through the expander setup process will get back as to when the screen reader setup screen appears.

17. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    Looking at TiVo's language again ("A few minutes after the TiVo box has finished restarting, a screen will appear asking to marry (or link) the expander . . ."), it sounds like there is a pop-up screen of some sort after the TiVo is back in full operation. But who knows if that's a correct interpretation, and, for that matter, if the screen reader will pick that up.

18. Tipperton

Tipperton Member

May 23, 2017
    I live in the Tampa Bay area on the west coast of Florida

There is no setup screen for the screen reader, you turn it on or off by holding the 'A' button on the remote down for two seconds. If enough of the TiVo operating system and software has loaded so that the Bolt can verify that it is attached to a paid account, the screen reader will function, if no connection can be established and / or there is no paid account, the screen reader will not work.

I'd have my doubts about that as there are several screens that the screen reader doesn't read, TiVo knows about it and according to them, they don't care.

19. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    Gives one a big, warm feeling, lol. I wonder if that violates the FCC.

The good news is, the expander setup sounds pretty easy, as long as you can get a set of eyes to backstop the process.

Tipperton likes this.
  20. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Do you have smart phone? With a video app, such as skype or Google Voice/Hangups?

Mikeguy likes this.