installer vs. directv/ota and dish location

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Watrat, Jan 6, 2006.

1. Watrat

Watrat New Member

Feb 28, 2001
    Watertown,...
    Good evening,
    Still seething about my non install today and am realizing I should have called someone earlier when installer was here instead of just relying on his eyeballing the satellite and its location with possible branches. Was wondering for some advice from other peoples' experiences.
    The installer said I have 5 days to call in and reschedule an appointment or the order would get canceled. I asked who to call and he said directv and gave me their number. When I called the number it goes back to his local company. Should I call them back or call directv and explain to them the situation and how the guy wouldn't do the install and suggested I go to comcast? He just was complaining about how busy he was that day and how he was doing me a favor and saving me money. Guess I feel for it and the goodness of some people.
    One thing the guy said was that they can't put the ota anywhere near the dish and would have to attach it to my brick wall. From pictures I thought I had seen it looked like they were mounted together? Can the antenna have issues with line of sight too?

Thanks

2. Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell New Member

Jul 13, 2002
    Santa Fe
    I'd call D* direct and complain about the non-service. I had a similar problem when the P3 dish was installed -- and they came up with another installer who drove 50 miles to get to me. Instead of the "local" incompetent. And the installation was spot on.

3. Watrat

Watrat New Member

Feb 28, 2001
    Watertown,...
    Well...this is the story so far. Called Directv and spoke with one of their install support agents and she wasn't overly helpful. She called the local installer directly while I was on hold and a guy came on with her and said that one of the supervisors would call me back within 15 minutes and that the installer should have told me that if they can't ever do an install that a supervisor always follows up on it. 3 hours later no call from a supervisor so I called the local installer and spoke to a woman who seemed upset about the comments the installer made and his lack of effort..it turns out the installer was their subcontractor as well and I would be gearing from someone shortly..that was an hour and a half ago too. The directv agent did give me 20 off a month for 6 months...but just not happy yet until I know whats going on. Guess no Patriots game this weekend in HD like I had hoped.

Tom