Installed New Modem; now can't connect to Tivo

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by chuckhendo, Nov 14, 2019.

1. chuckhendo

chuckhendo New Member

Apr 15, 2018
    I upgraded my Xfinity modem (that I was paying $13/month) and purchased a Netgear CM1150V. The good news is my data speed is 3x faster. The bad news is I can't connect to Tivo. I have a primary Tivo with 2 minis. I have MOCA adapters. Everything was fine w/ old modem but I've tried rebooting, unplugging and everything else.

2. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    The Comcast modems have built-in MoCA...was that being utilized and now it's gone?

-KP

3. chuckhendo

chuckhendo New Member

Apr 15, 2018
    ---------------------
    Comcast was here and took the old modem. I'm not sure if MoCA was being utilitized. When I look at current TIVO settings, it says Ethernet (and under MoCA it says 'No'). When I got TIVO minis installed, I hired a guy who installed MoCA adapters (from Actiontec).

4. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Is your TiVo connected via Ethernet to the new router?

Or, did you connect a MoCA Adapter at the new router?

-KP

5. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    You don't say which model TiVo you have, but all the Mini's have built-in MoCA.

So, if you put 1 Actiontec at the Router, the Mini's ought not have any trouble connecting and maybe the TiVo, too. Otherwise, maybe another Actiontec at the TiVo.

Unless Ethernet for any is a possibility? There's no effective difference between the Ethernet connection and a MoCA connection...

-KP

6. chuckhendo

chuckhendo New Member

Apr 15, 2018
    Modem has ethernet cable that connects to Actiontec. As for router, that's not new. Been using Eeros for a while.

7. chuckhendo

chuckhendo New Member

Apr 15, 2018
    My primary Tivo is a Roamio Pro (family room). For other TVs, I use the minis. Each connect to Actiontec.

8. chuckhendo

chuckhendo New Member

Apr 15, 2018
    pic of ethernet cable connecting modem (Netgear) to MoCA adapter (Actiontec).

Attached Files:

9. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Your Pro has MoCA, so all you should need is the 1 Actiontec at the Router.

Unplug both Mini's.

Re-run Network Setup on the Pro.

Once that completes, plug in 1 Mini.

Re-run Network Setup on that Mini.

Unplug that Mini.

Plug in other Mini.

Re-Run Network Setup on 2nd Mini.

Plug 1st Mini back in.

Profit.

-KP

UCLABB likes this.
  10. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Add: remove the actiontechs from the minis as well as the Roamio.

kpeters59 likes this.
  11. chuckhendo

chuckhendo New Member

Apr 15, 2018
    That all didn't work; couldn't get past re-running the network setup on Roamio Pro. Keep getting the error message in the pic below. Could the problem be this Netgear Nighthawk CM 1150V? I can't go back to old modem since Comcast technician took that with him.

Attached Files:

12. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    I assume your router is working and WiFi is working? Everything is in the proper ports on the router? I’m not much of an expert on this so hopefully someone knowledgeable will chime in. In the meantime maybe you ca run your Roamio off WiFi?

13. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Oh, just to make sure, your Roamio has six tuners, Pro? Just asking because I wonder why whoever installed MOCA put a an actiontec there. A four tuner would require one.

14. chuckhendo

chuckhendo New Member

Apr 15, 2018
    Yep - router (eero) working and wifi working

15. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    That's not an error you'd get from a bad modem.

You did set the TiVo to MoCA Client during Network Setup, right?

If all the other MoCA devices are disconnected then, the Connected Light on the Actiontec should be lit from just the Pro. The Hex Shaped Symbol. Since those would be the only two MoCA devices active, then that connection should be good. If it's not, check your wiring. How many splitters are on the Coax Wiring in your house?

-KP

16. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    As others have already said, you do NOT NEED ANY Actiontec MoCA adapters* (assuming your Roamio can be connected to the network with an Ethernet cable). Get rid of them. All of your TiVo devices have built-in MoCA.

Your picture of the Network error message on the TiVo is too small for me to read most of it, but it seems to clearly show that your problem has NOTHING to do with MoCA setup yet. I think it says that your TiVo cannot get an IP address from the DHCP server. Until you fix that, your TiVo cannot use your network. Period.

Since the initial DHCP setup on just about any network box is pretty much automagic and foolproof, that suggests to me that you have simply made a mistake in how you connected the new modem and your exiting router. And that is another thing, you said the modem is new, but not your router. Back in the olden days when I had separate modem and routers, the modem had only two connections - input from the cable, and output to the router. Nothing else connected to the modem. These days, most everything has a built-in router, so if you are still running a separate router, you could easily have two DHCP servers configured, and that just ain't gonna work.

UPDATE: I did take a quick look at the manual for your modem, and even though it does have 4 Ethernet ports, it is VERY unclear what 2-4 are actually intended for. It does seem that your new modem should be connected to your existing router using ONLY Ethernet port 1, and ALL other network devices in your home need to connect to the router. The only DHCP server configured on your network needs to be in your router.

When your Roamio is connected directly to the Router via wired Ethernet, it should automatically configure the Ethernet connection without problem. THEN you go into the TiVo network setup screen and change the connection method to MoCA Bridge without making any changes to your network wires or connections. Now your Minis should automatically find and configure their own MoCA connections to the Roamio.

This should be quite easy to fix. If following the instructions above does not clear it up, please post a CLEAR picture of :
    1. The error message
    2. The back of both the modem AND the Router

and then tell us plainly what each connected wire/cable goes to.

And REMOVE ANY MoCA ADAPTERS!
    *The only exception to this is if you CANNOT get your Roamio connected to your network with a wired Ethernet cable. If you need to configure your Roamio as a MoCA CLIENT because there is no other network connection available at that location, then you do need to use that original Actiontec MoCA bridge, but it must be connected to the ROUTER, and not the modem.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
  17. chuckhendo

chuckhendo New Member

Apr 15, 2018
    ---------
    Thank you for the thorough feedback! I will test this later today. Before I do, I do want reiterate that my Minis can't connect via wired Ethernet. Will that be an issue? I could connect Roamio Pro to Ethernet, but now will have wires showing near TV which I'd like to avoid. Thanks again for all your recommendations. I will let you know how it goes!

18. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    Your Minis will use EITHER MoCA or wired Ethernet, whichever they find connected - it is automatic, and you generally need to do nothing to make the selection. They will use MoCA if there is a MoCA bridge configured on your network and a proper coax is connected. Since you were using MoCA before, the coax plant is obviously already set up OK. In this case, the Mini does NOT need any other MoCA adapter or any Ethernet cable connection.

As I said in my first reply, the Roamio Pro has the ability to be configured as either a MoCA Bridge or a MoCA client, without the use of any other device. As a client, it does NOT need a wired Ethernet connection, but then there must already be a separate MoCA Bridge configured on your network.

So if you do not want to have both an Ethernet cable and a coax cable connected to the Roamio, you can simply use the existing Actiontec MoCA bridge you already have and were using before, and then configure your Roamio as a MoCA client (only possible after the MoCA Bridge is already up and running on your network). Since (I assume) you were already using that same device as a MoCA Bridge before the new modem, I would expect it to work fine with no other changes as soon as you connect it to your router.

Your problem with not getting an IP address from the DHCP server will go away as soon as the Roamio sees the MoCA bridge and you tell it to configure the network connections as a MCA Client.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019