Installation trouble

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by snotwister76, Aug 31, 2007.

1. snotwister76

snotwister76 New Member

Nov 16, 2005

Advertisements

OK, here is the problem. My mother could not receive local channels where her dish was located due to tree interference DTV said she needed a multi-satellite dish but because of the trees they could not install it in the same location.

I relocated the current dish a DTV 18" oval dual LNB to the location of where the old 10' mesh dish was approx. 150 feet away and verified that the buried cables (2ea. RG6) were still good. So far so good. She then wanted a DVR. No problem I installed a 3x8 multiswitch. No problem, strong signal (lower 90's) and both her older Hughes receiver and the new DVR work great. Now we called DTV to get setup for local channels, they confirmed what we already knew, she needed a new oval multi-satellite dish.

The installer came today and everything was fine! Then later in the day she lost local channels, then the signal altogether. She called me (I live 500 miles away). I had her verify transponder signal strength and everything is fine, EXCEPT no local channels. Is the multiswitch causing the problem? Do I need to install tone generators? Different switch? Any help would be appreciated. :confused:

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    Does she see any on-screen message when tuned to a local channel? It could be that she simply needs to "reauthorize" her local channels. She can call DirecTV and request that they "rehit" her DVR with the local channel authorization signal.

3. snotwister76

snotwister76 New Member

Nov 16, 2005
    That was my initial reaction since she is receiving her regular programming, just not the local channels. when selecting a local channel such as local ABC, a station comes on but it is CNN News. She is at wits end. The installer told her by phone that it is the multiswitch causing the problem. I'm just not convinced since everything at one time worked. All this just to get local channels ahead of the impending cabin fever season. A UHF/VHF antenna will not work at her location.

4. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    What brand/model multiswitch did you use? Is it a powered multiswitch? Your cable runs to the dish are rather long, so you may need a power inserter or powered multiswitch.

Also, be sure that there are NO coax splitters anywhere in the feed cables.