Installation of Tivowebplus 2.0

Discussion in 'TiVo Underground' started by Knocka, Mar 13, 2007.

1. Knocka

Knocka Member

May 10, 2002

Advertisements

I have version 1.3.0 installed and would like to upgrade to 2.0. I tried the update module, but it fails. So I guess I have to do it manually.

(1) Is it necessary to first uninstall the old version? If so, how do i do that.
    (2) What folder should I ftp the install file to?
    (3) How do I run it?

Thanks for the help.

Knocka

2. Klydeman

Klydeman Member at Large

Dec 27, 2005
    I ran into similiar problems trying to upgrade to TWP 2.0. And the info is out there, just scattered around. You need to remove all traces of TWP 1.3.X. Mine was zippered which puts TWP in root. I was having problems with TWP 2.0 in /root so I installed in /var/hack and seem to be running well. I read the most recent release seems to have fixed the environment variable issue with being in root, so it might work. Assuming you can navigate, with Telnet, FTP. Here are the steps...

1) If it's running, 'Quit' TWP.
    2) Telnet in and at bash:
    rw (mount readwrite)
    rm -rf /TivoWebPlus (assuming TWP is in root, remove TivoWebPlus)
    3) delete config files in /var/TWP/config.
    cd /var/TWP/config
    ls (see what's in there. okay to delete all of them)
    rm tivoweb.cfg
    4) get the latest TWP from http://thomson.tivo.googlepages.com/TivoWebPlus
    5) FTP it to (my suggestion) /var/hack
    6) telnet to /var/hack and untar
    cd /var/hack
    tar xtar xvzf tivowebplus-v2.0.0-070313.tgz
    cd TivoWebPlus
    ./tivoweb
    ro
    7) While your at it. Get the latest Hackman http://www.tivohackman.com/ (follow his instructions), and bufferhack
    8) Don't forget to edit your rc.sysinit.author file in /etc/rc.d to start TWP in /var/hack/TivoWebPlus so it starts on reboot.

That's it.

3. Tonedeaf

Tonedeaf New Member

Sep 24, 2004
    Rockwall, TX
    I had success just putting the Tivo into RW from bash and then installing 2.0.

Worked just fine as I was having the errors aswell until I did that.

4. msommer

msommer Card's Fan

Apr 4, 2005
    And if you don't want to leave your root in "rw" mode, you can add the line "export TWP_DATA_DIR=/var/TWP" in your author file. TWP 2.0 will then work with the root set to "ro".

This was one of the options BTUx9 suggested and it worked great!!

5. Knocka

Knocka Member

May 10, 2002

Advertisements

I followed th instructions to install TWP 2.0 as set forth above. I got an error when I tried the tar xtar xvzf tivowebplus-v2.0.0-070313.tgz. It only worked when I tried it without the "xtar" part.

I also edited the author file. When I tried to access TWP from a web page, I could not. It said the page as not found.

I then used telnet tried to start TWP manually. It returned an error saying an http server is already running. I still could not access TWP in browser.

Any help would be appreciated.

Knocka

6. Avenger

Avenger Also Banned

Mar 26, 2002
    Wisconsin
    Did you put the Tivo into rw at bash before you tried the update module? The update module worked just fine for me.

7. Knocka

Knocka Member

May 10, 2002
    I did not use the update module. I deleted the TivoWebPlus directory manually first, then ftp'd the tgz file and untarred it.

8. BTUx9

BTUx9 back?

Nov 13, 2003
    Rockport, MA
    1) check the log... if you don't have a line "Loading completed in ## seconds -- Accepting Connections" near the end, then it isn't running
    2) "netstat -l" will tell you if anything is listening on *:www(port 80) or alternate

9. mphare

mphare New Member

Jul 15, 2004
    I upgraded by removing everything under TivoWebPlus and un-tarring the distribution back into that directory.

No problems for me.

10. JWThiers

JWThiers Smartypants

Apr 12, 2005
    Cocoa, Florida
    You don't need to telnet in and get bash, in TWP under the SysAdmin tab you can remount read only or read write.

11. willardcpa

willardcpa QUASI-OMNISCIENT

Feb 23, 2001
    Eugene, OR USA
    OK, let me see if I'm following this correctly.

Knocka says - "When I tried to access TWP from a web page, I could not. It said the page as not found. I then used telnet tried to start TWP manually. It returned an error saying an http server is already running. I still could not access TWP in browser."

Then Avenger says - "Did you put the Tivo into rw at bash before you tried the update module? "

To which JWThiers says - "You don't need to telnet in and get bash, in TWP under the SysAdmin tab you can remount read only or read write."

Hmmmm, gonna be pretty hard to access the SysAdmin tab when he can't get into TWP, which is his his basic problem anyway. ;) :cool:

12. BTUx9

BTUx9 back?

Nov 13, 2003
    Rockport, MA
    but the OP's first line is: "I have version 1.3.0 installed and would like to upgrade to 2.0. I tried the update module, but it fails. So I guess I have to do it manually."
    to which JWThiers' reply would have been very useful... just not at THIS point in the process (trying to be fair)

13. JWThiers

JWThiers Smartypants

Apr 12, 2005
    Cocoa, Florida
    It was meant as advice for those that hadn't lost access to twp yet and want to use the upgrade module obviously. You obviously need step by step instructions, so njust for you from now on I will be sure to be very explicite in the instructions. Press the enter key 2 times.

move the mouse so that the cursor on the screen is resting over Post Quick Reply". press the Left mouse button while the cursor is on "Post Quick Reply".

14. willardcpa

willardcpa QUASI-OMNISCIENT

Feb 23, 2001
    Eugene, OR USA
    When I follow these "explicit instructions" I just get a Microsoft Internet Explorer box popping up that says "The message you have entered is too short. Please lenghtn your message to at least 1 characters."

So if I follow your instructions I would never get anything posted! :eek:
    Ohh, now I get it. :( Nevermind. :eek: :D

15. JWThiers

JWThiers Smartypants

Apr 12, 2005
    Cocoa, Florida
    Lol

16. pdawg17

pdawg17 Here's Julia!!

Mar 1, 2003
    Am I supposed to have a line already in my author file for TWP? I used to have TWP in the root directory but was having problems so now I put it in /var/hack...I don't see anything in my author file referencing TWP...what do I need in the author file?

17. ocntscha

ocntscha Member

Oct 22, 2003
    I'd guess
    Code:
    /var/hack/TivoWebPlus/tivoweb start 
    would work.

18. mphare

mphare New Member

Jul 15, 2004
    I don't think the 'start' attribute is necessary