Insignia TiVo TV Video

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by davezatz, Sep 18, 2011.

1. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    I don't have a post up yet, but this loaner unit arrived yesterday and I thought it'd be useful to get a quickie video up. Netflix and YouTube look NICE. Hopefully they land on the Premiere in the near future. The Chumby app UI is very cool as well, but that's a Best Buy relationship. More to follow...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XSFk6EhVHo[/media]

2. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    I've played with this at local BB store and thought it looked pretty good, even the overall picture quality. Any idea who makes this for BB, or whose components are used?

3. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    The TwitterTV looked kind of cool not that I would use it. It would be nice if it picked up the hashtag of the show you were watching and only fed those tweets related to the show.

Of course since you are using a DVR there is no guarantee the twitter comments would be specific to the episode you are watching.

4. Aero 1

Aero 1 Active Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Dave, is that hooked up OTA or your fios? Is there a guide?

5. Rebate_King

Rebate_King New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Does it have MOCA built in? I can only assume/hope that with a software update you will be able to stream to these TV's from TiVo premier units.

Also is there a cable card slot? Would be silly to have to have a cable box and therefore another UI to deal with.

6. Test

Test Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2004
    That looks great. What are the odds that these features end up on the premiere?

7. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Is the Netflix capable of playing the 5.1 DD+ audio and 1080P video?

8. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    That does look great! I hope all or most of these features migrate to the Premiere platform. TiVo hinted that they would on their Facebook page. That twitter integration with the video window is very well done. It would be great if you could limit it by hash tag as another reader noted.

From a TiVo user perspective I think this TV is a pass because of the lack of TiVo ecosystem integration but it certainly looks better than other offerings in the Smart TV world.

9. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    A few obscure manufactures have come my way for other Insignia products, but I'll look closer at the back to see if there are any FCC clues I can track down.

At the moment, I've got it in the one corner of my house where I can get exactly one OTA channel with precise antenna placement. So it's not relaying any of my DVRs. The guide situation is somewhat discombobulating if I understand it correctly. Basically there is no EPG/guide, or I haven't found it yet. But you can display what's currently on via the channel banner (which is now on the bottom). In the same banner, you're told what's on next. Need to do more exploration in this area.

No MoCA or CableCARD. The options are OTA or bring your own set-top. I agree streaming from a Premiere to this would be THE killer feature. Sounds like it's under discussion if not under development. Although it very well may be. Similarly, the Best Buy team told me they're exploring the option of making this a RVU client - meaning it'd be your DirecTV box/service.

I'd say the odds of the new Netflix and YouTube landing on the Premiere would be pretty high. As to when, well TiVo moves in slow and mysterious ways. I'd say/hope this year.

I don't know, and I'm not equipped to test the DD+ at this location but I will inquire with Best Buy and TiVo.

10. mjh

mjh Re: Member

Dec 19, 2002
    On your blog and here you mention "from a Premiere" Doesn't TiVo currently share recordings from more than just Premieres? Why would the streaming be limited only to Premier units? I know that streambaby works to my TiVo HD XL. I thought that just used the same protocol as TiVo already implements.

Another question: do you know if the tivo peanut remote will work with this TV?

11. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    TiVo units currently share recordings via copy the new method which avoids certain copy protection issues streams and won't be supported on prior generation TiVo DVRs. What TiVo is capable of and what/how they choose to engineer are not the same.

I was told the TiVo remote will work with the set. However, during initial config the TV asks or prompts you to control via RF. I think if you go that route you lose some peanut capabilities, as my Premiere one doesn't seem to do anything.

12. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    It looks good but I think Google TV has far greater potential and will be more likely to be supported with additional updates over the product's lifetime. I think Google TV has it beaten already before any updates. I don't expect TiVo on TV or whatever this is called to find much support beyond Best Buy, if any, and maybe only one generation of support from Best Buy.

13. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    I would buy one of these in a freakin' heartbeat if you could stream to it......from a TiVoHD.......without a sub.

Neither of which will likely EVER happen.

14. RangerOne

RangerOne The Hub

Dec 30, 2006
    Dave,

I saw one one of these in Best Buy today. None were hooked up and the boxes werein a corner. I asked a salesman if one was hooked up and he seemed to have no interest in it all. Is Best Buy really behind this TV?

15. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    Based on visits to three local Best Buys of mixed experiences, I don't think they've completed distributing inventory and I don't think the staff has been sufficiently trained. At two of the three stores I've been to, two have 42" models on display as nice end caps. Both are running a promo video but neither are connected to the Internet or live TV, so you really can't test things for yourself. When I worked with a rep at one store to get connectivity, she asked if I had seen Google TV (the Sony sets) saying it's basically the same thing. We'll see how it plays out...

16. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    My local Best Buy isn't doing a very good job of displaying Google TV either. The lone demo I saw used the Logitech Revue but without a working internet connection so all you could do was get error messages. I didn't think to play with a Sony HDTV with Google TV but I suspect the situation would be the same, it wasn't set up properly. There is going to be a lot of competition for the smart TV market and I do believe it will be a hot product soon, but I can't see TiVo being competitive.

17. MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ
    any gossip on streaming from a premier now that the elite is out and 14.9 is out in the wild?

18. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I haven't heard a word on Insignia Streaming and I wouldn't hold my breath. In my view the television needs to play in the TiVo ecosystem for it to justify the slight price premium over models with superior picture quality. For me, a Preview attached to a quality TV is a better alternative for a 3rd television in my home because of CableCARD support. I'm looking for TiVo to announce a retail plan for the Preview early next year.

19. MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ
    Before they all came along and wound up not playing nicely i was thinking of upgrading one of my s3's to an elite and getting one of the insignias for my kids playroom. But seems that is pointless so I'll keep the s3 in service and just pick up a black friday TV for the kids for maybe half the price on the insignia.

And so another sale or 2 lost for TiVo. And I'm still looking for the next thing to replace my s3's- so they lost the chance to lock me into the ecosystem for another few years.