Inside American Airlines: A Week In the Life on CNBC

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by cwerdna, Nov 12, 2006.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    I'm in the middle of watching this as it's recording. It's pretty good so far.

See http://www.aweekinthelife.cnbc.com/main.html for a description.

It'll be on again in 1.5 hours and again on 11/23.

2. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    Saw it a week or so when it first aired. Fairly interesting.

3. tetspa

tetspa New Member

Mar 17, 2005
    Robert Crandell is the anti-christ as far as I'm concerned. Did you catch the way he defends his screwball price-gouging scheme for airline seats? "Different seats have different value to different people given their circumstances"...well, the guy selling generators during Katrina could argue the same thing, couldn't he?

I guess Crandell's other idea would be when someone calls and asks how much for a ticket from X to Y, the agent should reply "depends...how much is it worth to you?"

4. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    But that's just the way all airlines price tickets. American even tried a simplified pricing structure a while back and stopped doing it because other airlines didn't go along with it.

5. modnar

modnar Active Member

Oct 15, 2000
    Arkansas, USA
  6. cwerdna

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    For those who care, this documentary is going to be rerun on CNBC on Christmas.

7. Jeeters

Jeeters Registered Snoozer

Feb 25, 2003
    PA
    In a round about way, that's the way new cars are sold. And houses.

And websites like priceline.com let the airlines do *exactly* this.

8. EchoBravo

EchoBravo TV-MA LSV

Apr 20, 2002
    PHX, AZ
    What he said.

It's the spoiled fruit theory. A store would rather give you 75% off of oranges that are going to go bad soon than have them rot on the shelves. Same with an airline seat. If somebody pays a ridiculously low fare, that's still (somewhat) better than the same seat flying empty. Airlines operate on such thin margins, they have to carefully manage their yields or they'd all go ban... Er, nevermind. ;)

The hospitality industry is priced the same way. Obviously a seat or room is more valuable to someone who finds out they need it at the last minute than to someone who had the forethought and ability to book 30 days out. It's common sense, really.

The hurricane generator reference is just silly.

9. Legion

Legion Member

Aug 24, 2005
    Well said.

10. cwerdna

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    For those who care, this documentary will be rerun on Monday 1/15.

11. cwerdna

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    It's being rerun again on 7/5. For those who have nothing to watch, this just might fit the bill. :D

12. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    cwerdna, you SURE you aren't connect to CNBC in some way? all shows you recommend seem to be on CNBC LOL

13. andyw715

andyw715 Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2007

In your world there wouldn't have been enough generators to go around to those who _really_ needed them. Instead every yahoo who thought they needed them gobbled them up at low protected prices...inventory was non-existent to those who really needed the generators. Except in a few rare cases, price gouging is just some topic du joir that politicians throw out in the media to make it look like they are doing something.

14. cwerdna

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    I have no affiliation other than I'm a watcher of some of their shows, esp. Mad Money. I just happened to notice shows that I liked were being rerun while going thru the EPG over the weekend.

I'm not a big watcher of the Big 3 (to 5) major TV networks, esp. fiction on those networks.

15. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    It just seems weird to recommend 3 and 4 year old shows, and only ones that play on CNBC. No sweat, just seems odd.

16. cwerdna

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    It's going to be on again. :) It looks like it'll be rerun on 9/8.