Insert Access Card

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by union122, Aug 6, 2007.

1. Aug 6, 2007 #1 of 16
    union122

union122 New Member

May 5, 2004

Advertisements

Please help,

My trusty Hughes tivo started displaying " insert access card " message, flashing every other second or so..
    I clean the card with an eraser, air blowed the card reader area.
    Called DTV and they want so replace it with a R15.
    Nothing worked, its running normal 45degrees..

Any help on repairing this issue ??

thanks,

2. Aug 6, 2007 #2 of 16
    Billy Bob Boy

Billy Bob Boy What Me Worry???????

Jul 25, 2004
    Here
    I would try a new access card before i would get an r15. Worst case scenario get a new Directivo from circuit city or a used directivo from ebay(If you go the ebay route Get the RID# And call D* And make sure ther is no balance on the sellers account and when you get the unit keep the sellers email of the RID And make sure they match) Calling Jim Spence Calling Jim Spence. I have never heard of this happening.

3. Aug 6, 2007 #3 of 16
    Billy Bob Boy

Jul 25, 2004
    Here
    WOW You have been Lurking For 3 years. That must be a forum record! No It is a testament of how reliable Directivos are! No problems In 3 years!!

4. Aug 6, 2007 #4 of 16
    union122

union122 New Member

May 5, 2004
    yes, been reading for 3 years.. no problems up till now !

can i order a new card from DTV ?

5. Aug 6, 2007 #5 of 16
    durl

durl 67° 40% chance/rain

Dec 1, 2005
    Blaine, MO

Advertisements

I had the same problem. Chances are the card reader has gone kaput. There are a few posts on here from people that opened up the box to fix the problem.

Something you COULD try: pull out the access card and rub the chip with a pencil eraser, reinsert it and see what happens. That worked for about a month in my case. I can only guess that the reader was on it's last gasp and the cleaning delayed the inevitable.

Eventually, I had to get the HR20 unit. (A good machine, by the way.)

6. Aug 6, 2007 #6 of 16
    Billy Bob Boy

Jul 25, 2004
    Here
    Yes but its 20 dollars which if you ***** about may be free.
    If you have a good history with D* Many times they waive the fee. It happened to me recently :)

7. Aug 6, 2007 #7 of 16
    Billy Bob Boy

Jul 25, 2004
    Here
    The Op said he tried it (Hr20 Not a tivo By the way) TOTALY Different interface with totaly different menus By the way! All talk of Directv dvrs Is not allowed on this forum be it r15 or hr20!

8. Aug 6, 2007 #8 of 16
    Billy Bob Boy

Jul 25, 2004
    Here
    Welcome to the posting side of the forum :up: :up: :)

9. Aug 6, 2007 #9 of 16
    Stanley Rohner

Stanley Rohner New Member

Jan 18, 2004
    oklahoma
    Since durl just mentioned they got an HR20 and said - (A good machine, by the way) I hardly think it qualifies as talk of DIRECTV DVRs.

Are you gonna scold everyone the mentions a DIRECTV DVR ? If so, DVR should be in caps since it's an abbreviation of digtial video recorder.

Lighten up dude.

10. Billy Bob Boy

Jul 25, 2004
    Here
    YEP everyone. You can thank yourself for that. You made me a vigillante :D I will scour the forum for any mention of hr20 or r15. ;) If you just would have said that you were happy with the hr20 than this would never have been an issue. You crossed the line by saying it is better than tivo and the Op would never miss it (tivo). So Watch For BBB On any post even Mentioning the Directv dvrs and praising them HERE. Praise them all you want on a NON TIVO forum. As Directv dvrs are in direct conflict w Tivo.

Down from The soap box!

BTW I will make you a deal If David Bott renames this sub forum Directv dvrs Than I will never say another word. You can say anything you like about Hr20 and r15!

Btw 2 No I am not a moderator but I as a Loyal Fan of Tivo and directivo will Go where I like and Mention that Hr20 and r15 Are Not tivo and are nothing like tivo. And I have a right to remind posters as others have done that talk of non directivo dvrs is not allowed here. Period. By saying how great the hr20 is it is a violation of the forum rules as it is a non tivo directv dvr. This sub forum is directv reciever with tivo!

11. Stanley Rohner

Jan 18, 2004
    oklahoma
    The R15 and HR20 has been mentioned here plenty of times and no one has been suspended or banned for it so quit going on about it being a violation of the rules.

You can go ahead and jump in every thread and have a fit if a non tivo DVR is mentioned. I've got better things to do with my time.

12. union122

union122 New Member

May 5, 2004
    does anyone have idea how to fix the card reader ?

13. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Hello. :D
    I have not had this problem either. What's been suggested above is what I would have tried first.

14. Billy Bob Boy

Jul 25, 2004
    Here
    Than I guess we wont be hearing from you again! :D :D Directivos RULE , Directv dvrs Drool :D :D :up: :up:

15. Stanley Rohner

Jan 18, 2004
    oklahoma
    What does wont mean ?

I've got better things to do then jump into ever thread that mentions the HR20 and have a fit like you do and tell the poster DIRECTV non-TiVo DVR talk is prohibited !!
    Give it a rest. :rolleyes:

You'll still hear from me. I'll have to check and see what you are having a fit about next. It's good entertainment.

16. Billy Bob Boy

Jul 25, 2004
    Here
    Nope You wont I decided to Stop Feeding the Trolls :) :p :rolleyes: :p ;) ;) ;)