Input Roamio Private Stream IP Cam

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Iowan, Apr 12, 2015.

1. Iowan

Iowan New Member

Apr 12, 2015

Advertisements

Hi all first time poster,
    I have TiVo Roamio plus some Minis and Stream. I recently purchased an IP camera security system and as I was getting ready to run wires all over the house to the different TVs, it occurred to me that if there was some way to input the video feed from the cameras to the main TiVo box I would only need to run one cable? I have cat5e to each Tivo box.
    Thanks for any ideas.

2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Nope. Roamios only accept QAM input (or ATSC for 4 tuner) and there is really no way to mix the cam feed into your existing cable or OTA signal even if you could somehow convert it to QAM/ATSC.

There is a rumor that TiVo is going to add a Plex app soon. Does your camera maker offer a Plex plugin? If so you could use the Plex app to look at the cameras from your TiVos/Minis once the Plex app is released.

3. HarperVision

HarperVision TiVo's Italian Cuz!

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    Could you do it with Streambaby somehow? Maybe have the camera's video files get saved to a folder on your PC and then point Streambaby to that folder?

4. Iowan

Iowan New Member

Apr 12, 2015
    I have been working on the IP cams for about a year now and they are challenging. It can output mpegs to folder via FTP. It streams with a special RSTP protocol, which you can look at with VLC. Encoded with mpeg or h.264
    I was thinking is there some sort of adapter which could convert HDMI to what looks like an over the air Antenna channel?
    Like the old RF converters used to convert your computer output to channel 4 or 3? And then it would just be an additional channel to the tuner?

5. Iowan

Iowan New Member

Apr 12, 2015

Advertisements

Regarding IP cameras and NVRs with Plex. They are all made in China running free Linux, so adding Plex would be a tough deal because you wouldn't know the info necessary to compile the Plex into the camera OS.

6. HarperVision

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    Yes, there are prosumer devices like the ZeeVee brand that make ATSC/QAM modulators that can do this. I have this one which is an older, cheaper legacy device that only has component and VGA, but there's newer ones with hdmi.

http://zeevee.com/sites/default/files/ZvBox170_GGG_Latest.pdf#zoom=66

7. Iowan

Iowan New Member

Apr 12, 2015
    Yeah, that's exactly what I'm looking for - except the $1400 part.
    I found a competitors version for $900 just google:
    MICROMOD Compact HD RF Modulator

It would be a cool feature, I'll keep looking, maybe alibaba.

Previously at customer sites I have run an additional hdmi to each TV then then using a powered hdmi hub at the NVR all the TVs can just change the TV input to see the security cameras. But this solution is for my house, where I like to test new ideas.

Thx.

8. telemark

telemark Active Member

Nov 12, 2013
    The ATSC or QAM modulators are expensive.

I'd suggest making something that works over IP or a PC if you have the technical know how and cost is a consideration.

9. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    Well, the opera store may be an option. Does your IP Cam stream to a local URL / Can you host your own web server to broadcast to a local URL? (External URL would be fine as well)

If yes - you can use the URL Loader in the developer tools. If you really get froggy, you could develop an Opera App that uses a local web server and streams from that - similar to what Nasflix did.

Just getting something to wok with the developer tools shouldn't be too hard - depending what your product offers.

To get access to the URL Loader in developers Section of Opera:

1. sign up as a developer for Opera TV:
    https://publish.tvstore.opera.com/
    2. Start Opera TV on your TiVo: Apps & Games--Opera TV Store
    3. Navigate to and press Menu button
    4. Select About
    5. Navigate to and select ID FOR DEVELOPERS
    6. Make note of the 4 digit ID provided
    7. In a web browser login to the Opera TV Pairing URL:
    https://publish.tvstore.opera.com/paired_devices/
    8. Enter TiVo name and corresponding ID
    9. Back on TiVo choose Yes to accept pairing request
    10. On TiVo now when you go to home page of Opera TV store there will be a "Develop" entry on top left
    11. Navigate to and select "Develop"
    12. Arrow down to "URL Loader" to launch the URL loader

(Credit to moyekj for the steps)

Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
  10. HarperVision

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    If you watch ebay for these devices you'll find them at reasonable prices. I got mine for about $275.

11. elmeng

elmeng Member

Mar 7, 2009
    The Store has a new app called "URL Loader" and yes I can enter the url for my webcam with my userid and password included in my URL and get my cams webpage.

My problem is, well, it took several tries to get the right URL to work and each try is permanently on my list of URL's on the app.

How does one erase the bad URLs? No option is listed and their (opera) users support is nil.

Any ideas?

And NO, I have no programming experiences to write my own app.