Initial Thoughts on MRS (Multi-Room Streaming)

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by AllYourBase, Jun 19, 2011.

1. AllYourBase

AllYourBase New Member

Oct 23, 2007
    Been sitting on a review that came to my attention a while ago. Wanted to share.

1) Allows both streaming and transfers (where permissions allow both). See first picture.
    2) Allows streaming of copy/CCI-protected videos.
    3) Allows streaming of videos that are still recording. See second picture.
    4) Streaming of the remote video is so fluid that it's indistinguishable from local video playback. Trick play commands (8-sec rewind, 30SS, skip to tick, FF, etc.) all work seamlessly.
    5) Noticed some quirks with the "Watch from paused point" (the selection would jump to "Play from beginning" and then do just that). But this may have been the test configuration rather than a true bug in MRS.
    6) Noticed some artefacts (pixelation) in the video that are not present if you transfer the recording. If these to out to be persistent, then this might be the reason MRS hasn't been fully released yet.
    7) Bandwidth requirements for MRS slightly above the video bit-rate. 100Mbit and 802.11n networks should not have any problems. 802.11g networks may experience playback shuddering of HD videos.

Attached Files:

2. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    #4 sounds promising, though I imagine it is network dependent and also dependent on the person watching.

#5 doesn't surprise me since this happens in normal playback sometimes for me on local recordings. The marker just jumps around initially but doesn't affect playback.

Of course since I am on FiOS without any current programs blocked, I am not that worried about streaming right now. More important will be whether or not TiVo finally releases an option for a universal My Shows list. Even if they do i imagine it will be limited to the Premiere models only.

3. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    A review of what? someone in the beta program?

4. news4me2

news4me2 Member

Jul 10, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Aside from recorded TV content, I would really like my TIVO to stream Web Video downloads and Video Purchases.

5. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    Wake me up when/if the TiVo can ever stream to my Xoom, and/or to a cheap, subscriptionless settop box.

6. Rebate_King

Rebate_King New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    What software version number are you on?

7. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Why would you want that? One thing I found out when trying to view any TV content on any box other than TiVo is that the TiVo does the best job of skipping through commericals. As well as skip back etc. So I don't even bither transferring any content from my TiVo to my other devices any more unless there are no commercials or the commercials have been removed.

Now where did the OP get these pics? Is this from a production software version or a beta version? Hopefully this will be released soon to the masses. Alot of people have been waiting for streaming and will be very pleased.

8. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    crxssi only has one box and I am going to take a leap and predict that he has no intention of purchasing another one. :rolleyes:

I have fios with no blocked content as well, but I do like #3. Now a Universal My Show list would make me seriously consider upgrading my S3 to a second Premier!

Looks like Tivo has been working hard on adding new features - happy to see them developing again.

9. NotVeryWitty

NotVeryWitty Too Big to Fail

Oct 3, 2003
    Central Mass.
    Like bradleys, I'm on Verizon Fios and so I don't have problems doing transfers between boxes. But #3 will come in handy during football season, when I'm recording two games on one Tivo and another one or two on the second Tivo.

10. jbcheshire

jbcheshire Member

Jun 6, 2006
    I am not sure what his review is of, but it appears that it is a current situation of having two premiere units. Because I have two Premiere's now and I am able to do #1. It works great. I have one on a wireless setup (D-Link DIR 655) and the other is on a ethernet-over-power.

I would love, however, to have the ability to stream my recorded shows to my iPad, whether on my own home wi-fi network or away from my house since I can create a personal wi-fi hotspot for my iPad 1....

11. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    TiVo is working on something they call a "Premiere Preview" which will do that. Although at the moment it's not clear what the price/subscription model will be, so it might not be "subscriptionless". (Although I think they're stupid if they try to charge a subscription for a streaming only box)

Dan

12. aridon

aridon Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Why wait? Sling already will sling to your zoom or just about any other mobile device.

13. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    Exactly. I am not going to pay $500+ for a [tivo] device so I can occasional watch some program in my bedroom! Especially when I have other devices I could use that I already own (like the Xoom). In my, case, I am not even sure it would be worth $150. The value will greatly vary from person to person, of course.

14. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    People with families that monopolize the main TV put a greater value on the ability to watch content in other rooms. I think this is more for them then you.

Dan

15. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Something like the Preview would have been perfect for me in the bedroom. I rarely watch TV in the Bedroom but I do have a Premiere with the stock drive in it currently in tyhe bedroom. Something like the Preview could have saved me some money. Allowing me to still tune into a program and also stream any of the content from my other four Premieres. Of course now there would be no reason for me to have one. Although I would consider it if I could sell the Premiere for a good price and make a decent amount of profit after getting a Preview. Of course they would have to offer the preview for retail sale first.

16. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    I can see where steaming would be useful to people with multiple TVs. And I see no down side for TiVo to offer Premiere to Premiere streaming.

Regarding if TiVo should sell something like the Preview or even a simple box like a Roku is another matter all together. First is would have to be profitable in an of itself and second it would have to not decrease sales of the Premiere. I have no market data so I have no way of knowing what is possible or probable. But my gut tells me a it would be money looser for TiVo.

But that is from a person who has 3 HD TiVos attached to the same TV just to record OTA.

Thanks,

17. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    The Preview isn't a streaming only box though. It has a tuner, guide data, trickplay, and streaming apps. So it's pretty clear TiVo is going to charge a subscription for it unless they want to sell only "lifetime" on these units.

18. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    If it costs a subscription, then it defeats the purpose of a whole-home solution. That said, I agree, it'll probably cost a subscription.

Perhaps it'll be a sliding subscription fee applied to the main box, depending on how many Previews are connected to it. While the math would be the same, it probably sounds more palatable to the consumer that way.

19. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    It doesn't defeat the purpose, it just costs more than some people want. There really isn't any consumer whole home solutions for consumers other than Moxi and those are basically "lifetime" units, so it is hard to compare. Directv requires boxes in each room that have costs associated with them, so I don't see how this is any different. And I think TiVo did the right thing by having a tuner on the box to prevent user frustration by always having an available tuner for live tv.

20. L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    Basing a fee on how units are connected sounds like the kind of arcane nonsense that TiVo might try, but they would do better to simplify like they eventually did with Premiere pricing. They will surely charge something if the Preview uses guide data, but it would have to be significantly less than a Premiere subscription, or why would anyone opt for a unit without a hard drive?