1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Initial setup seems to stop in the middle

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by That Don Guy, Sep 15, 2018.

1. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    I am trying to install my new Bolt for the first time, but have had a few problems.

The first attempt got to the "Just a few minutes more" screen, then it kept dropping and reconnecting the signal to my TV, then I got a gray screen that slowly turned into a white screen.

I unplugged the TiVo, waited 30 seconds, and plugged it back in. I got the "Just a few minutes more" screen, and then it lost the connection to the TV.

I figured that there might be a problem with the CableCard, so I took it out and started the installation again. This time, it got as far as the "Install a CableCard" screen; I did, and it found it, and went through the Comcast card pairing process, but then "Test Channels" showed nothing coming through. I called Comcast, and they said that it always says that, and I should continue with the setup until complete, then call back if I still don't get any channels. I got to the next step (connect to the internet, which worked (apparently)), then it started a download...and now it's back to dropping and briefly reconnecting to my TV.

Anybody have any ideas as to why this is happening? Is it most likely the TiVo, or the CableCard?

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Is it a Motorola cable card?

3. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    Yes.
    Here's an update:
    I took the cable card out, then managed to make it all the way through Basic Setup.
    I unplugged the TiVo, put the cable card back in, plugged the TiVo in, got the "Just a Few Minutes More" screen, and then it kept alternating between a black screen and a loss of connection to the TV.
    I figure it's a bad cable card, so I drive to the Comcast office and get it replaced.
    Put the new card in, then plug the box back in, get the "Just a Few Minutes More" screen...and back to alternating between black screen and no connection.
    Just in case it's a HDMI handshake problem of some sort, I turn the TV off and then on...and the Cable Card Data Screen pops up with the information for the new card.
    I go to the Comcast Cable Card Pairing website, and enter the information; it tells me to see if I can get any channels.
    I press Live TV, and it tells me that there are no channels.
    I then go to the Network page, and the Connection Progress screen says that it is still loading info. Eventually, it completes the loading...and there's Live TV.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
  4. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Pictures of a happy Motorola card:
    ccCA.JPG ccNET.JPG ccPair.JPG ccStatus.JPG cablecard.JPG
    How close are your screens? Important items are Val: V 0x0n, and VCT ID being non-zero.