Initial Set Up Tivo XL

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by BH9244, Mar 8, 2009.

1. BH9244

BH9244 Member

Feb 10, 2009

Advertisements

Moving into new house with TWC Hudson Valley (NY), I have a new XL unit and have a few querys.

1. There isn't existing internet service in the house, ( this will be turned on at the same time cable is ), can I do the prep of the unit at my current house where I have internet connectivity but no cable TV Service.

2. I have read a number of posts regarding SDV + Tuning adaptor, I asked TWC about it when I set up service but the person clearly had no idea what I was reffering to, anyone know if this is currently in use in this area and if so whether tuning adaptors are available at this time.

Thanks for any input.

2. JWThiers

JWThiers Smartypants

Apr 12, 2005
    Cocoa, Florida
    I don't see any reason why you couldn't do the initial setup at your current house. connect get all the software updates etc.

3. bpurcell

bpurcell TMBG Fan

Mar 16, 2005
    Fairfield, CA
    There's definitely no problem setting it up at a different location. Just be aware that during setup it will ask if certain channels are working and on the right channel, so you'll have to just assume it works until you get to the new location.

If you're local TWC office doesn't know anything, I doubt you have to worry about it yet. Does the website offer a way to search locations and offerings?

4. BigBearf

BigBearf New Member

Aug 17, 2005
    BH,
    I hooked up both a Tivo HD and Tivo HD XL while in Raleigh and performed the guided setup using OTA only and while hooked up to wired ethernet. Got all the downloads and ordered a replacement 1 terabyte drive from Weaknees when on sale for about $200 due to time constraints.

I took both boxes to Wilmington, replaced the Tivo HD drive with the Weaknees upgrade and ran guided setup to get all updates on the drive the night before M-Card installation. I have the original drive for WinMFS purposes and I will probably go ahead and do a 1 terabyte drive for learning and backup purposes.

I do recommend going ahead and performing initial guided setup in order to obtain updates since you will be re running guided setup at your new location.

Hope this helps,
    BigBearf

5. BH9244

BH9244 Member

Feb 10, 2009

Advertisements

TWC Installed M Card without incident all seems to be working great, thanks for your help.