Inherited a series 2

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Seizer1975, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Seizer1975

Seizer1975 New Member

Oct 28, 2011
    Super-noob to all of this, so apologies in advance. I have a series two TiVo that I am plugging into basic cable service. It's configured with a wireless adapter I picked up at best buy. It's in the process of cleaning out the hard drive now. It supposedly came with a "lifetime" membership, but I don't know if that even applies anymore. When I messed with it before the hard drive wipe, it wouldn't change from the local access TV channel, but I may have the switch in the back in the wrong position. So, any advice on getting this thing fully functional? Links to previous posts are appreciated, and thanks!

2. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Re-run guided setup. You should be all set. If it has Lifetime, then it should be fine.

3. cannonz

cannonz Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Go to tivo central (the little tivo man or menu on universal remote) select messages and settings (last one) then restart or reset system (next to last) then repeat guided set up (second) follow the prompts to put in area code zip code etc.

4. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    In case you've got the kind of TV that only has an antenna input, the little switch in the back of the TiVo decides whether you get a channel 3 or channel 4 signal out of the threaded thingie (technically called a female F connnector) below the threaded thingie into which you plug the cable.

I have one Series 2 where the signal comes out as channel 3 no matter which position the switch is in, so it's not impossible that yours won't work as advertised either.

If you have a television with line inputs (yellow, white and red RCA jacks), you can just use those and forget about that little switch entirely.

Product Lifetime Service is for the lifetime of the unit for which it was purchased, so if somebody bought lifetime for that S2 and it still works, then it still has lifetime.

What is the model number of your unit?

It's on the sticker on the back and should start with TCD, unless you've got one of the units made by someone other than TiVo, like Humax or a couple 3 others that did combo units with built-in DVDs.

Did you get the remote that originally came with your new old used S2?

Is that wireless adapter the Tivo brand Wireless G adapter?

5. Seizer1975

Seizer1975 New Member

Oct 28, 2011
    This is all great info. The reset was still going when I went to sleep last night, and didn't have time to mess with it before I left for work today. As for your questions, it's a 540 series, I have two original remotes and bought the TiVo branded wireless G adapter, which is working just fine. Thanks much for the input, and I'll let you all know how it looks when I get home today.

6. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    That's the best adapter for it, as it has some processing power of its own built in and will be less of a burden on the TiVo's processor than most USB adapters.

7. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    To clarify: Product Lifetime is just a subscription. It is not "membership", becasue TiVo itself is a service, not a club.