Informal Survey - Noisiest Tivo Model

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by lillevig, Feb 25, 2012.

1. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa

Advertisements

In my short time as a Tivo owner (less than 18 months), I've owned 4 S1 Philips, 3 S2 TCD240s, 1 S2DT, 1 S3HD, and a standard Premiere. By far, the noisiest of the bunch is the S2 TCD240s. I even found one (240080) that came with what looked like a factory installed chunk of styrofoam glued to the inside of the top cover (sound deadener?). If I take the covers off, none of the S2s seem to be all that noisy. I've even tried to isolate the source and it is the fan, not the hard drive. Once I put the cover back on, it's like the box amplifies the fan noise. Not terrible, but certainly much louder than any other model I've owned. What's your experience?

2. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    I don't think you'll find any consistency here. It's individual variations in fans and hard drives. I've owned quite a few TiVos over the years and some are noisier than others of the same model. The best thing you can do is replace the existing fan with a good-quality ADDA or similar.

3. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I've got a S2 540, 2 Tivo HDs, and a standard Premiere. I can only compare the TivoHD and Premiere which are in my bedroom.
    The Premiere is louder than the Tivo HD (hard drive AND fan noise).
    I can listen for and hear the hard drive in my S2 on the rare occasion that I reboot it, but generally I don't notice it.

4. sushikitten

sushikitten LivingLippy.com

Jan 27, 2005
    Chicago-ish...
    Over the years we've had an S1, S2 Humax, S2, S3 HD, and a Premiere and the Humax was by far the loudest. It was insane--like the hard drive never stopped spinning.

5. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004

Advertisements

The hard drives have certainly gotten quieter over the years. I still remember the loud fan and hard drive in the S2. The Premiere is certainly the quietest TiVo has ever created. Of course not all TiVos are created equal and perhaps some people get Premiere's with louder fans, etc.

6. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    I've owned at least 8 Tivos since 2001 and and unless I specifically listened for a noise that one of them may have been making, I never noticed that there was any noise at all.

7. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    The only thing consistent I've heard is I have always been able to easily hear the fan and hard drive on any TiVo I've owned. Any Series 2, any Series 3, and any Series 4 box.

8. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    The S1s came with some sort of springy foam stuff glued on the underside of the top, but S2s seem to be just bare metal, from what I've seen.

If the fan is making much noise, it probably needs re-lubing.

9. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Noisiest TiVo model: The one with a failing hard drive.

10. Joe01880

Joe01880 I love my TiVo

Feb 8, 2009
    Boston
    Except for start up/reboot the Premiere in my living room is quiet and makes no noise. The TiVo HD in my bedroom in dead quiet. With everything turned off late at night i cant hear it at all.
    Both have 2 TB WD Green HDD's from DVR_DUDE

11. replaytv

replaytv gun talk ignore list

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    I agree that the oldest Series 2 are the noisiest. I thought the hard drives were going bad, but all of them that I have had are noisy.

12. nhaigh

nhaigh Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Lawrencevill...
    I can't remember what an S2 sounded like but I have a couple of S3's and a few premiers and the premiers make more noise than the S3 - thats the main reason we still have S3's in the bedrooms.

Having said that its more that the S3's are as close to silent I can imagine and the premiers make some sound - the fan I think rather than the disks. Neither are actually niosy.

13. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I had one S2 where the hard drive was super loud. You could hear it clicking across the room. I also owned one that had a fan that emitted a high pitch whine that drove me nuts. Like Steve said it's luck of the draw. Most of the TiVos I've owned have been quiet, but I have had a couple that were unusually loud in one way or another.

Dan

14. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    I agree that my Premeire is slightly noisier than my S3HD but the S3HD is really quiet. All of the S1s were very quiet as well. Again, I think part of it is the box design and not just the difference in fans. I did lube the fans on the S2s just to see if that would help but it didn't. Yet I can't say that the fans are going bad either because they are reasonably quiet with the cover off.

15. ghuido

ghuido New Member

May 8, 2007
    I've had Series 2, Series 3 (Tivo HD), and Series 4 (premiere)

Series 2 hands down