Info on a second Tivo for my room just for streaming my recorded shows?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Nutzer, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Nutzer

Nutzer New Member

Jan 20, 2012
    All,

I currently have a Tivo Premiere box and was thinking a way to stream my recorded shows from my Premiere box to my room. I'm assuming getting a second box would be the solution since I read that the latest software update can allow streaming of shows.
    Now the question is which box to get? I'm looking of getting a used box off of ebay since I don't want to pay alot new. Also, would make things easier if I can get an older box that supports cable and not need cable card. And last question is, do I need to pay another extra monthly fee for the second box?

Thank you all for any answers to my question.

2. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    You will need a sub for any additional box. Older non cable card boxes do not support HD and streaming only works Premiere to Premiere.

3. Nutzer

Nutzer New Member

Jan 20, 2012
    Dang! I guess it is what it is.....imma see if there is some cheap premier box on ebay.

Thanks for the info.

4. jmpage2

jmpage2 Active Member

Jan 20, 2004
    You can get a brand new Premier box for $99 so there's not much point to getting a used one.

The device you are looking for, that would just tune local channels and stream recordings from your Premiere, is called the TiVo Preview.... but they won't sell it to consumers, maybe if they get enough feedback from customers they will change their mind.

5. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    You could get an HDMI splitter and run a second HDMI cable to your other room. Then you could control the TIVO from the other room using the Tivo App from a smart phone.

6. Impulse0022

Impulse0022 New Member

Aug 14, 2010
    TiVo Slide remote also works great if you are trying to control a TiVo from another room.

7. TracySMiller

TracySMiller New Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    You could get a TivoHD with Lifetime on ebay for around $350. Then you could transfer SD & HD shows back and forth. If HD programming is not essential you could get a Series 2 Tivo with Lifetime on ebay for less than this, and you could transfer SD programming only.

8. jmpage2

jmpage2 Active Member

Jan 20, 2004
    transfer is painfully slow compared to real time streaming, so that's worth keeping in mind when considering the transfer route.

With streaming can you also delete shows from the remote TiVo? I know you can't do this with transfer.

9. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    I don't see transfer being painfully slow on my system and I'm using wireless G between a Premiere and an S3HD. I am not using the Tivo wireless adapters so maybe that is a factor. You do know that you can start the transfer and then watch while the transfer is happening, don't you? If you can't watch in realtime then there is likely an issue with your network.

10. jmpage2

jmpage2 Active Member

Jan 20, 2004
    There is no problem with my network (which is all wired gigabit). The issue with transfers on the TiVo is that transfers don't happen quickly enough with HD programs to have enough of the show transferred to be able to skip through commercials, which is sort of the entire point of having a TiVo in the first place.

Transfers seem to be slightly faster with the new Elite that I bought compared to my TiVo HDs but I'm not sure if it's fast enough to transfer an hour long program, begin watching it, and have enough of the program transferred to start skipping commercials.

None of this should be an issue with streaming, since with streaming you are just telling the source TiVo what part of the program to stream, skipping through commercials should be a breeze.

11. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    Ok, thanks for clearing up what your real concern is. I agree about not being able to skip commercials on a "realtime" transfer. My wife complains about that. :D

12. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Premiere to Premiere, an hour long HD show was taking around 10 mniutes(pre 20.2). So if the first commericals show up a few minutes into the show, there was no issue skipping them when transferring an entire show. At least this was the case with the 14.9 firmware, when I was getting 80mb/s to 90mb/s transfer rates. With the new 20.2 software, when I looked at my transfer rates, they were in the 70mb/s range. I haven't checked it out again though since I don't transfer content as much anymore since MRS was enabled for my boxes.

Although now I'm typically only transferring content to my OTA only Premiere, before I take it over to my GFs house. This weekend I'll need to look at the transfer rates again, after I transfer some shows to that Premiere.