Infamous Guided Setup Loop - Series 4, v20.5.9

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by malikguy, Apr 8, 2020.

1. Apr 8, 2020 #1 of 24
    malikguy

malikguy New Member

Jun 6, 2016
    Called TiVo today and they suggested KS 57. They say they can see the device requesting the update. I explained to them what happened so far: TiVo has been in storage since ~2015 but just got a second TV. Device was working fine, but guide info was out of date. Went through guided setup but device now reboots on “Preparing to Load”. Now stuck in GS mode.

They also suggested KS 720 but I can’t find anything about this. Anyone familiar with this KS code?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
  2. Apr 8, 2020 #2 of 24
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    No, sorry. But when it asks you to select a country, hit Info to see the current software version.

3. Apr 8, 2020 #3 of 24
    malikguy

malikguy New Member

Jun 6, 2016
    Hi Joe, thanks for the response. It’s in the subject line: 20.5.9, RC 15.

Just got off another call with support and they claim it’s downloading an immense amount of updates. I’ve been instructed to “just leave it on” and call back in a couple days.

Hope is a strategy? :p

JoeKustra likes this.
  4. Apr 8, 2020 #4 of 24
    JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    It is for TiVo. They hope when you call back you get someone else. But until you reach 20.7.3, there may be problems.

malikguy likes this.
  5. Apr 8, 2020 #5 of 24
    Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    In storage that long that TiVo unit has missed some significant software downloads that result in some fairly big changes. Not suprised it did not work as expected. It will take some time, and more time.

6. Apr 9, 2020 #6 of 24
    malikguy

malikguy New Member

Jun 6, 2016
    Thanks! Do you think just leaving it on for a few days (even in GS mode) will cause it to grab all the updates?

7. Apr 9, 2020 #7 of 24
    ClearToLand

ClearToLand Old !*#$% Tinkerer!

Jul 9, 2001
    Central Jersey
    Sadly, like so many other TiVo users, you came here and posted *AFTER* you did the wrong thing. :oops:

There are just SO MANY threads on bricked Series 4 (and 3, some 5 IIRC) TiVos after folks have run Guided Setup and/or CPI&TDL. You might have gotten away with it if you choose zipcode 00000, which is a 'test setting' that loads minimal data, but, you didn't. Along with having a too old firmware version, 20.5.9 RC 15, TiVo is also 'tweaking' their Guide Data. Read posts from @JoeKustra on that topic. He bricked a Series 5. I think he tried CPI&TDL on his when his Guide Data got wonky.

Older TiVos have been known to take DAYS (i.e. 3+) to process new Guide Data. But, you have the wrong firmware for the Guide Data. So, what exactly is your TiVo trying to do? Probably no one knows. Certainly no one answering the TiVo Hot Line at least. It needs to update itself to 20.7.3 before attempting to process the Guide Data. You might have to re-image.

AFAICT, my guess is that it is done downloading and now needs several days to process itself out of the hole it's in. Try disconnecting it from the internet for a few days. Regularly check the System Info page to see what it's been successful at doing. SEARCH TCF - you'll find lots to read here...

Good Luck! ;)

malikguy likes this.
  8. WVZR1

WVZR1 Active Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...
    I connected a Premiere today that hasn't been connected since the 'Summer Sale' and it connected as usual > loaded and got a 'PENDING RESTART' for function and there's a note mentioning 'Software Update 2 AM'. After the 'RESTART' it did connect again and says installing update. This machine was 20.7.4 I believe when I connected.

Once it completes the whatever it's doing I'll post back.

I've no idea what time it actually completed but I checked it at better than 1 hour and 90 minutes, it was still doing an update. I just thought to check again and I've got 20.7.4B.RC3-746-2-746. Believing that after an update it's customary for TiVo to connect another time it mentions last successful 4/10 @ 6:42 so it was maybe 2 hours +. It was last set up as Comcast and I've got one single message that seems to be correct for all adds and deletions.

From System Info is there any confirmation of 'Lifetime Status' ?

It says 5: Product Lifetime Service
    C: 050920

* I have three Premiere boxes and all are now the same 20.7.4B.RC3

Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
    malikguy and kpeters59 like this.
  9. malikguy

malikguy New Member

Jun 6, 2016
    Thank you, I will report back with my observations over the next couple weeks.

Lucky you, at least you were in the 20.7.x range prior to re-connecting. I'm still hopeful my Premiere will get the updates it needs.

10. tommage1

tommage1 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    I hope so too. One thing you can try (maybe someone else mentioned this) is disconnect the internet after the DOWNLOAD is complete. IE when it gets to preparing to load. As mentioned the actual load can take a very long time, and even if it gets to 100% it can still be working on it (as another poster mentioned I think). I've run into reboots/failures if I leave internet connected while the actual load is taking place.

Another possible solution is check locally or on the net for the same model Premiere for sale (locally nice if can pickup). Do not need service on it I believe, just buying for the drive/OS. Can find in the $20 range for one with no service. Obviously with current issues with Premieres that have not connected in awhile would need to ask the seller what the OS version is. If whatever has been determined to be ok (20.7.something) could put the drive in your Premiere and see how it goes. Definitely will have to run clear and delete everything to "marry" it to your specific box. It SHOULD work but I made no guarantees.

Do try disconnecting the internet when download completes in your current try, when it hits the preparing to load screen. Just unplug the ethernet cable or the wireless adapter.

malikguy likes this.
  11. tommage1

tommage1 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Do remember 100% loaded does NOT mean it is done, especially on a machine that has not successfully updated for a long time. To be safe after 100% completes keep it disconnected from the net for a day or two, let it finish processing in the background. Otherwise it will connect again, download something again which will interfere with what is still processing, may even overwrite it.

malikguy likes this.
  12. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    I am getting a 750500 today. I do not know how long it has been out of the loop. I should have asked, but I didnt. Can anyone tell me WHAT NOT TO DO?? I'm sure at some point I will be asked to run guided setup. Do I ignore it? Use 00000 zip code?

13. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Just plug it in and hope you are asked to choose a country. (Hit Info to see current software). Then just do it. To load two weeks of guide data may take over two hours on a Premiere.

14. mattyro7878

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    Thank you Joe. I had already written down those instructions (Im at work) from you in another thread. "Choose country hit info". What am I looking for?

15. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    You are just getting the software version. If you have a problem, you may be asked that information.

It would be a good thing if you see the box doing an update before it tries to load the guide. No way that old software will work with the current guide.

16. mattyro7878

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    I'm at 20.7.4 . Box is loading info.

17. mattyro7878

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    What should I expect from a Premiere with no service.?? Cuz I got an info screen for a second or two . Noe I have no pic and no sound

18. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    No clue. I've never seen one.

19. mattyro7878

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    Cablecard won't pair and it is very difficult dealing with reps that pretend to know
    What's what

20. mattyro7878

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    Will a restart possibly pair the card. It say "not staged" so I dont think so. A supervisor is trying to help but he just has his flow chart I'm sure