Inermittant speckles on screen

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by irrelevant, Feb 20, 2008.

1. irrelevant

irrelevant Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Salford, UK

Advertisements

I've got an irritating, intermittant problem.

Every now and again, I get a LOT of horizontal flickering white speckles covering the top half of the screen. This occurs on playback, live, menus, even on the cachecard and "Almost there" screens on a soft reboot!

They DO disappear again after several hours, or if I physically unplug the box..

Has anybody got any ideas?

2. OzSat

OzSat Very Nice Moderator

Feb 15, 2001
    Oxfordshire, UK
    Have you swapped the SCART leads to see if that helps?

3. irrelevant

irrelevant Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Salford, UK
    Thanks for the response. I've checked the leads are in firmly, but haven't actually swapped it yet. It's a 5M lead off to wall mounted plasma telly so I don't have a spare. I may try and drag a portable in, though, which I can get nearer, next time it happens. I've got a feeling that you can also see it on the RF output (to other rooms) but it's infrequent enough that I'm not sure...

4. OzSat

OzSat Very Nice Moderator

Feb 15, 2001
    Oxfordshire, UK
    I've seen flashes due to electric interference - poor cabling could be letting something bleed in.

It could be the flashes are already in the signal before it gets to TiVo.

5. terryeden

terryeden TiVo, Tivum, Tiva,

Nov 2, 2002
    Surrey

Advertisements

If it's on the menus as well, it means one of two things.
    1) You have interference on your cables. However, if it vanishes after a reboot I'd suggest that it's...
    2) There's a problem with your TiVo's video output, possibly caused by overheating. Open the box, clean out all the dust, make sure that it's kept in a well ventilated area.

That's what I'd suggest.

6. irrelevant

irrelevant Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Salford, UK
    OK thanks for the replies. Overheating is a likely issue, thinking about it - it's rather hemmed in in the cabinet at the moment. I'll try and find a moment to pull everything apart, hoover it out, and get a bit more air circulating..

Cheers,
    Rob.