Industry (HBO) Season One Thread *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by astrohip, Nov 17, 2020.

1. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...

Advertisements

Industry, a new series from HBO, on Mondays. Comes on right after His Dark Materials. A British drama, it "follows a group of young graduates competing for a limited set of permanent positions at Pierpoint & Co, a prestigious investment bank in London". Mostly newcomers, the only name I know is Ken Leung (Lost, Star Wars).

I'm liking it so far. Sure, it's young people, doing young, dumb things. But there's some interesting dynamics at play, and the acting is good. As is typical of British dramas, it's a much more diverse group of people, and they're not all "American Beauties" (ie, they didn't cast all models).

Really like the lead, Myha'la Herrold as Harper Stern. An American in London.

Anyone else watching?

2. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    I watched e1 last week and cancelled my 1pass after 15min last night.
    Not a bad show, i might watch at a later time on HBO Max.

3. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    It's funny you say that. About 15 minutes in, I thought "What happened? This was an interesting show. The premiere seemed so solid. Now it seems vapid."

But it quickly started to gel (jel?), and by episode end, I was (re)hooked. I think they felt the need to show us how stupid young people can be. Even the smart ones. Especially the smart ones :rolleyes:. And that can be tough to watch.

4. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    Hmmm... I may undelete and watch the rest tonight then.

5. dswallow

dswallow Save the Moderatоr TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...

Advertisements

Yeah I got 15-ish minutes into the first episode and just stopped as I could not take it anymore. Society is doomed.

6. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    I didn’t feel that from ep1. It was reminiscent of the 80’s for me.