Indoor antenna recommendation for Roamio 4-tuner?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by randian, Sep 4, 2019.

1. Sep 4, 2019 #1 of 37
    randian

randian Active Member

Jan 15, 2014
    Southeast...
    I have a Roamio 4-tuner, currently setup with cablecard. If I recall correctly, this model can also handle the digital signal broadcast OTA by local television stations. I would like to evaluate OTA reception and video quality pursuant to potentially dropping Comcast's TV service. What would you recommend for an indoor antenna? The house is cinder block construction, which I imagine may present some problems, but the TiVo and antenna would be located near an open end of the structure (no cinder block outside wall there).

2. Sep 5, 2019 #2 of 37
    JackMcC

JackMcC Member

Aug 11, 2019
    Depends how close you are to the broadcasting antenna(s) in your area and if you have line of sight to them since most HDTV channels are in UHF.

I run a clearstream 4V antenna with a wineguard LNA to drive the signal over 50 ft of tri-shielded coax from my attic install.

You might require much less.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

3. Sep 5, 2019 #3 of 37
    pshivers

pshivers Retired

Nov 4, 2013
    Lubbock, Texas
    As JackMcC says, it depends...

I live in Lubbock Texas where the landscape is pretty flat, there are no multistory buildings near me and all the TV broadcast towers are 7-8 miles NorthEast of my home.

I find a simple flat wall mounted antenna from Amazon pulls in all the available stations, no amplification required.

You may want to experiment with antennas using your HDTV tuner before reconfiguring your Roamio to use OTA, just to make sure you can get a usable OTA signal first.

This is the antenna that works for my local needs... Very affordable.

I'm running a Roamio Pro 6-tuner, Roamio 4-tuner and three Tivo Minis over a MoCa network.

I have three of the amazon OTA antennas each connected directly to three of my HDTV's as backup if the cable goes out. It also gives me 2-3 local stations cable does not carry.

AmazonBasics Indoor Flat TV Antenna - 35-Mile Range https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075ZQXB26/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_8hqCDb2BTTYM3

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

4. Sep 5, 2019 #4 of 37
    dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Browse to tvfool.com and click in the "Check your address for free TV" section. Enter your address and an estimate of the antenna height above the ground. In the graph and chart that results the light green channels are the ones you should expect to receive with an under-$20 antenna such as the Amazon Basics model linked by @pshivers above. If you want help interpreting the results click the appropriate "save image" link and attach the graph to a post here.

Hopefully you will satisfy your needs with light green stations. Otherwise the tvfool data is key to choosing a more expensive antenna and positioning it. If you post the results here you can get plenty of advice.

ClearToLand likes this.
  5. Sep 5, 2019 #5 of 37
    series5orpremier

series5orpremier Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2013
    The Roamio Basic OTA tuners aren’t particularly sensitive. I use outdoor antennas indoors to insure I get good signal strength with no dropouts through the building materials, but I know not everyone wants to use the space or aesthetic comprises to do that. Mine are high up near the ceiling though so you can walk past them. I find the directional Stellar Labs 30-2370 for UHF and Stellar Labs 30-2476 for VHF, combined, work great. They’re very affordable, available from Newark.com, and are among the most powerful OTA antennas available. If you have no VHF stations in your market you won’t need a VHF. My broadcast towers range from 5 to 35 miles away from me.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
  6. Sep 5, 2019 #6 of 37
    MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    I am not a fan of indoor antennas. However, I have had the most success with the flat antennas in the digital age.

When analog signals were around, I honestly couldn't find an indoor antenna that would work for me.

My outdoor antenna rocks! It's a UHF only antenna and points to transmitters that are about 40 miles away from me...and it pulls in EVERYTHING. It's a DB4-e from Antennas Direct.

7. Sep 5, 2019 #7 of 37
    mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Problem with UHF antennas is everything is moving down to VHF in the repack. So you may no longer be able to pick up any marginal UHF stations after they move. Phase 5 of 10 just finished. Phase 10 is supposed to be complete next summer.

JackMcC likes this.
  8. Sep 5, 2019 #8 of 37
    MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Yes, I realize that... I am going to have to revisit my outdoor antenna set-up after the re-pack for certain... :)

9. Sep 5, 2019 #9 of 37
    HarleyRandom

HarleyRandom Active Member

Sep 17, 2015
    Only if you're very unlucky. Most stations that are on UHF are staying there but moving somewhere else.

10. JackMcC

JackMcC Member

Aug 11, 2019
    I went through that horror after losing my PBS high definition channels. Luckily I can buy a $20 VHF antenna add on to my existing UHF antenna.

It'll be interesting to see what happens when stations begin to switch over to the ATSC 3.0 format in a year or two.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

11. rpiotro

rpiotro Member

Oct 20, 2005
    Greenfield, WI
    ATSC 3.0? I dunno. Don't hold your breath.

12. bciocco

bciocco Member

Mar 28, 2009
    I use an outdoor antenna in the attic. It may be overkill for my location (<10 miles from the towers), but I would rather be on the safe side. If you have that option, it is a fairly easy and unobtrusive way to go.
    BTW, the Roamio can do either OTA or cable, not both. You will need to do the full setup to change over to OTA and do it again to go back to cable.

13. oscarfish

oscarfish Member

Mar 1, 2009
    I'm looking at what I think the product page for a DB4-e on Amazon.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0074H3...olid=3RT55AFZIBQCF&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Assuming I am looking at the right product page, where does it say it's UHF only?

14. series5orpremier

Jul 5, 2013
    It doesn’t except in the Q&A section, but if you go to Antennas Direct and check the specs you’ll see the entire DB line is UHF only. First, you need to know if you have channels on both UHF and VHF. Second, you need to know if they are in the same direction from you. If they are in the same direction you may be able to get away with a single antenna like the RCA yagi ANT751E https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0024R4B5C?aaxitk=STaLjkNz9c9i-UYlEZcVFw. Otherwise, if both UHF and VHF frequencies are present in different directions you may need to combine more than one antenna. By UHF and VHF, we mean not the channel number on your TV but the actual frequency the station broadcasts on.

15. oscarfish

oscarfish Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Thank you for the explanation.

On the positive side, all the transmitters are in the same direction from my apartment. On the negative side, I'm at the very edge of the the reception range, and I need something that can be inside. I currently have a flat indoor antenna, and I can receive the main channels, most of the time, but not all. I was thinking of upgrading and I think I could make the DB4-e work inside. I don't think there is any way I could make the RCA yagi ANT751E work inside.

16. series5orpremier

Jul 5, 2013
    Suit yourself. The RCA isn’t really all that big but just has that horizontal style. If on the edge of reception the DB8-e takes up twice the surface area of the DB4-e but in theory should work a little better. If you need to combine one of the DBs with a VHF antenna, the Antennas Direct Clearstream 5 is by far the most compact indoor-friendly one but very pricey - you’re paying for the compact design. I’ve never used it but reviews say it works. https://www.amazon.com/Antennas-Cle...rstream+5&qid=1567747898&s=electronics&sr=1-1

17. MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    In the SF Bay Area, I think there is only one station that I am interested in that is moving from UHF into High-VHF. And my current UHF solution has been able to pick up some High-VHF stations (not ideal, but seems to work okay).

After the repack, I'll have to see how my current solution performs. I may have to grab a yagi VHF solution and get a signal combiner to add to my current set-up...

18. TIV0`

TIV0` New Member

Mar 28, 2018
    I use a Mohu Leaf (indoor) with no amplifier and get all the local stations except for 2 low power ones.

19. randian

randian Active Member

Jan 15, 2014
    Southeast...
    I read one review of the Leaf that said it's great and a couple of others that weren't so happy about it. The Winegard FlatWave Amped (model FL-5500A) is being touted as a superior alternative. Hard to say who is right.

20. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    Not to be a smart ass but the best antenna; is what works for your situation.

For years, before some of the local HD broadcast stations moved to VHF, I used a 4 bay bow tie antenna indoors. In fact it still sits on top of my entertainment cabinet. After the move to VHF, I could not get an indoor antenna to work.
    60 miles from transmitters, in a valley, with trees and such between the antenna and line of sight.

[​IMG]