Indianapolis 500 - Spoilers

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by sptnut, May 24, 2009.

1. sptnut

sptnut Go Vols!!!!

Sep 1, 2003
    Knoxville, TN

Advertisements

Anyone else watching? I don't really follow the sport, but I watch this race every year.

ABC is killing me right now on the coverage though. They have the sounds of the cars cranked up so high, I can't hear a word the commentators are saying. Anyone else noticing it?

2. BriGuy20

BriGuy20 New Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Vienna, VA
    I do agree that the car sounds are a bit high. Maybe they can remix them down or the voices up a bit?

I'll probably tune in later on to see if Danica Patrick can get close. My guess is she'll finish 3rd in this race but eventually win herself an Indy 500 in the next few years.

3. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    After 135 laps, the top three are Scott Free, Helio Centric, and Will Power.

Wait, what?

:D

4. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    Holy--! I don't think I've ever seen a racecar slide sideways along the wall like that except in the movies!

5. matt11

matt11 Active Member

Aug 13, 2006
    Durham, NC

Advertisements

Yikes, that could have been a lot worse for Meira. I'm sure glad it wasn't.

6. sptnut

sptnut Go Vols!!!!

Sep 1, 2003
    Knoxville, TN
    That might have been the best victory lane I've ever seen.

7. matt11

matt11 Active Member

Aug 13, 2006
    Durham, NC
    Congrats Helio and Team Penske!

The announcers just said Meira was complaining of severe lower back pain but had movement of all his extremities.

8. bleen

bleen Protein from the Sea

Aug 9, 2008
    Caldwell, NJ
    Good job on the prediction! Definitely deserves a tall glass of milk & a package of Oreo Double Stuf for that one :cool:

9. veruca salt

veruca salt I want it NOW!!

Jun 30, 2007
    You should have put money on your prediction! (I'm assuming that you didn't.)

10. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    The one thing that bothered me was Marco putting all the blame for that 1st crash on the "rookie".
    If he didn't see it coming, that's one thing, but Marco clearly knew the guy was a rookie and he should have anticipated the erroneous move.
    From what I saw of the replays, Marco had ample time to back off yet he chose not to so he wouldn't lose a position.
    Stupid move. You can't win the race on the first lap. :rolleyes:

ETA: Now that I think about it, Marco's post crash interview had the "that rookie needed a lesson" tone to it.
    I bet if it weren't for the Andretti name, Marco wouldn't be racing in the IRL.

11. BriGuy20

BriGuy20 New Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Vienna, VA
    My powers of prediction only work on holiday weekends, and unfortunately not at wagering (I tried at a roulette table). :p

12. BriGuy20

BriGuy20 New Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Vienna, VA

13. Dssturbo1

Dssturbo1 New Member

Feb 22, 2005
    the race was boring.........

congrats to Helio

14. markz

markz Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Connersville...
    They don't televise the race on the Indianapolis channels till 7pm so we can't watch the race live. I was forced to listen to it on the radio. My local comcast station gets both Indianapolis and Cincinnati channels, so if I had cable instead of DirecTV I could watch the race live. Also if I had a TV antenna outside, I could watch it live because we could pick up Cincinnati stations that way too.

My favorite driver came in 3rd and my second favorite driver won, so I was happy with the outcome.

15. Anchorman

Anchorman Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Michigan
    I was having the same problem, all car engine noise, and can barely hear the commentators on my Pioneer 42" Plasma. Then I went into the bedroom checked it out on a Sharp Aquous LCD (both are connected to the same Tivo S3) and the sound on the Sharp was a lot better.

I then went into the setup menu on the Pioneer and played around with the sound settings and was able to make it quite a bit better. I still think that ABC's sound levels needed some attention.

16. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Also, I was not impressed with the HD for this race. Perhaps it was ABC broadcasting in only 720P or D* compressing the heck out of the NY local ABC signal. It just looked a bit washed out to me.

As the OP said, I'm not a racing fan, but I have watched this race since I was a kid, and much like the Kentucky Derby or The Masters, I watch this because it's an event.

17. Weaselboy

Weaselboy New Member

May 1, 2005
    Must be hereditary... Mario Andretti could always be counted on to blame everybody else too.

18. Sirius Black

Sirius Black Grey Warden Reject

Dec 26, 2001
    A City by...
    I don't follow any brand of auto-racing to know the racers enough to speak intelligently about them so that's why I have to ask this question. What is the big deal about this particular guy winning the Indy 500? ABC made it sound like it was the first time ever an Italian had won in the Indy 500.

19. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey

I don't follow it too closely but this much I know:

First of all, he's Brazilian, not Italian. Second, he just beat tax evation charges so he had a tough year fighting legal battles. Third, he's a very popular guy among race fans it seems.

20. markz

markz Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Connersville...
    He is actually Brazilian and it's the 3rd time he has won. Only a handful of drivers have won 3 or 4 times and no one has won 5 times.

He has been going through a personal ordeal that just got cleared up last week with being charged with tax evasion. He was acquitted just a few days ago.

He is a fan favorite for his enthusiasm on the track and is most famous for climbing the fence when he wins!

He won the pole position this year as well as the pit stop competition. He is also a former winner of Dancing With The Stars.

ETA: Oops, smeeked but with a few more details.

Also, he and a couple of other drivers (Tony Kaanan and I forget who else) also play pranks on each other a lot too on tv appearances (ie. pies in the face, etc) but I didn't see any this year.