Indexing - the Whys and Wherefores

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by ericd121, Sep 21, 2007.

1. ericd121

ericd121 Crown Topper

Dec 12, 2002
    Milton...
    After yet another reboot on Tivo1, I decided to Clear Guide Data & ToDo List to clean out the database.

After making a Daily Call at 3.06pm, I saw in System Information Indexing: 3:24pm; I waited for Guide Data to appear, but by 6:15am, none had.

I made another Daily Call at 6:19am, so while I'm waiting...

I'd like to hear current thinking about Indexing.

How long should, or does, it take on a FreeView setup?

Does reducing the number of Channels I Receive reduce the Indexing time?

How can I tell whether Indexing is taking place, either via the GUI, TivoWeb, or telnet?

How can I tell whether Indexing has finished, either via the GUI, TivoWeb, or telnet?

Can I, should I, restore Season Passes whilst it is Indexing?

2. mikerr

mikerr TiVoCentral.co.uk

Jun 2, 2005
    Lancashire, UK
    ETA and percentage completed in the phone connection screen ?

Tivo / Messages & Setup / Recorder & Phone / Phone Connection

It can take a good few hours, but you can add season passes etc during that time,
    though the shows won't show up on a search until it has indexed that day.

3. OzSat

OzSat Very Nice Moderator

Feb 15, 2001
    Oxfordshire, UK
    I believe that the indexing indexes everything - then your searches filter the channels your receive.

So if you add a new channel - it is already indexed.

4. ericd121

ericd121 Crown Topper

Dec 12, 2002
    Milton...
    Thanks for the replies.
    No, that's the download, I believe.
    Cheers for that.

5. OzSat

Feb 15, 2001
    Oxfordshire, UK
    The % is the loading % complete - indexing starts after it has finished.

6. ericd121

ericd121 Crown Topper

Dec 12, 2002
    Milton...
    I realise this is a semantic difference, but I'm looking for indications that Indexing is still happening, or has finished.

The fact that Indexing can takes an unknown number of hours, with little feedback, is driving these questions.

7. OzSat

Feb 15, 2001
    Oxfordshire, UK
    Are the programme searches available ?

8. ericd121

ericd121 Crown Topper

Dec 12, 2002
    Milton...
    As of now, only one station's listings are viewable, and it's been like that for about 4 hours, so Browse by Time only brings up that station, and Search by Title only brings up that station's programmes.

Another Daily Call is due at 3:15pm; I may bring that forward.

9. OzSat

Feb 15, 2001
    Oxfordshire, UK
    What are the listings saying for the other channels?

Have you reselect the channels in 'channels I receive' ?

I'm sure you can not search for anything until it is complete.

10. ericd121

ericd121 Crown Topper

Dec 12, 2002
    Milton...
    They were all blank.
    I didn't, but I did make the aforementioned Daily Call and it, or the Housekeeping that preceded it, resulted in listings appearing for other channels.

Curiously, Browse by Time only brings up the one same station as before; possibly this is due to caching, or the Indexing still being done.

Thanks for your help, ozsat, though I'm still wishing there was somewhere I could look to clearly see what's happening.

11. mrtickle

mrtickle Active Member

Aug 26, 2001
    Birmingham, UK
    What you're doing is an index of the full Db which of course takes much longer than the normal weekend updates or weekday corrections. Unless someone else has recently done a Guided Setup with Freeview and can remember, it's hard to guess. :(

I don't think so. It indexes everything in your Lineup, so that when you go into CIR and add new channels, bang - they are there for you to search immediately and schedule recordings, rather than having to wait until after the next day's call.

Aha! I can help here. The sequence is:
    1. Download finished.
    2. Data loaded into database.
    3. Indexing/Garbage Collection starts. Look for "Master indexer start" in /var/log/tvlog
    4. Indexing/Garbage Collection ends. Two ways of checking this:
    a) Look for "DbGc::AfterIndexersFSuccessful = 1" in /var/log/tvlog
    b) The "Indexing" time on the System information screen changes to a time which is after the "Last Successful" call time. The "GC:" time stays the same, set to the previous time it did Garbage Collection (17 hours after each call).
    5. Statistics gathering starts for about 15 mins. When it's done, "Sweep done" appears in /var/log/tvlog.

I have a nice little script to check all of the above, as it happens. :D. I'll attach it.

I would always be wary of doing anything (including rebooting) until the stats are finished, which is roughly 15 mins after 4b if you only have the UI. Remember the problems in the past when people had "holes" in their guide data caused by rebooting in the middle of indexing.

I think that would be a generally bad idea and an unncessary risk. (Incidentally I personally haven't been able to do that since I had the Sky Radio lineup because of the conflicting channel numbers - some bits of TiVoweb have them in the 1000's and others don't)

Attached Files:

12. ericd121

ericd121 Crown Topper

Dec 12, 2002
    Milton...
    Well done, that man! :up:

Thanks, mr t, some very useful information in that post which I'll save into a text file for future reference.

I'll forego the script as the manual method is not too arduous. :)