Incredible Install Today

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by tonypitt, Jul 18, 2007.

1. tonypitt

tonypitt Member

May 9, 2004
    Johnson...

Advertisements

I just moved to Tennessee and as a result had to have my new home wired for my DirecTV Tivos. I dreaded this because of all I've read here about less than competent installers.

I called Mover's Connection a few weeks ago and put in the order. It would have to be a pole mounted install and 2 walls would have to be fished. This would require attic work in an unlit attic with vaulted ceilings and blown insulation. I just knew that this would be problematic. I was prepared to pay for the custom install, but I was very concerned about how things would go.

Prior to the install date, DirecTV repeatedly messed things up. First they cutover to my new address too early, wiping out my locals at my old home. Then they setup the new install at my old address instead of my new one. More problems of that sort as well.

Today was the install day. The technician showed up right on time. I walked him through the job and I could tell it didn't exactly make him happy. I let him know that I knew it was a custom job and I planned to pay whatever I was charged but then also take care of him when he was done.

He worked for about 4.5 hours on the job. His work was impeccable. He did the job even better than I could have hoped.

The best part came at the end. I asked him how much the charge would be and he said "the company doesn't show any charge for this." I praised his work (as I had a few times throughout the job) and then gave him a tip. (Unfortunately I only had $35 in my wallet. Hopefully he was OK with that. He seemed to be.)

I can't believe I got a great job, a pole mount, 2 walls fished, etc. for no charge. I asked him to give me his office's number so that I could call in my positive comments.

I found out at the end of his work that he'd only been doing this for a couple of months. He was a public engineer who was having a hard time finding a job and was just doing this to make ends meet. Made me wish I had more to tip him. He was a real credit to his local company and DirecTV.

2. jennifer

jennifer Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2001
    That's encouraging! Congrats :)

Fingers crossed that my install will go just as smoothly on 8/1 !

3. Dkerr24

Dkerr24 Lost in Big Bend

Oct 28, 2004
    Okla, USA
    I also had good luck with the last installer that Directv sent when I added a second Directivo unit 2 years ago. The guy was very meticulous in his work and quite helpful in answering a lot of questions.

Just thought I'd add another positive report - not all Directv installers are incompetent.

4. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    As with most forums, only the bad news is reported.
    It is very refreshing to hear about a good experience.

Find out that installer's address and send him another $50. :)

5. WillieWildcat

WillieWildcat Electronics Junkie

Feb 25, 2003
    Wichita, KS

Advertisements

I've had three different installers do work at my home (me being one of them), and they (the professionals) were all excellent. DirecTV installations are becoming more complicated and so their training is more intense and thorough.

6. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    I must say the last few times we have had Directv installers out here, they have all done a great job, been very professional, and a pleasure to do Business with :D

We hear so much about bad experiences on here, that sometimes its good to hear something good.

7. 94SupraTT

94SupraTT New Member

Feb 17, 2005
    TN...
    You are lucky. The installer that did my install put the dish in a spot that it could not get any HD via SAT. Then to top that off instead of fishing the walls he decided he would cut an "X" in my carpet then pull it back and run the cabling up through the floor via my crawl space. Didn't seem like a big deal until I moved the TV to another location in the room and see how it left the carpet. I think I might file a claim. This is the second time D* has made nasty holes in my carpet. In my previous home the moronic installer actually put a WALL PLATE on my carpet to cover the hole he left. :mad:

8. dremi

dremi New Member

Jul 17, 2007
    I too was dreading a move recently. I had read a lot about installers missing appointments and doing incomplete installs. When it came time, I called Direct Digital TV and set everything up. When the day finally came, the installer showed up on time and did a quick and painless install. Everything works great and i have zero complaints.