Increasingly Unstable

Discussion in 'VirginMedia TV with TiVo - UK' started by geekspeak, Apr 10, 2011.

1. geekspeak

geekspeak New Member

Oct 1, 2002
    This is since the last update although I am sure that it a coincidence. 4 or 5 times now when in standby, I press power but do not get a picture. I get the Tivo sounds but nothing else. I try to switch off - back to standby but do not get the standby leds. Eventually, it reboots.

Just now I finished watching a program and went back to the menu. Left it for 5 minutes whilst doing something else. The screen then went blank - I was expecting it to return to live tv but my tv said "no hdmi input". Tried turning on or off and it eventually rebooted again. Another 2 recordings interrupted.

Also after a reboot it is extremely slow to switch menus.

Anyone else getting this? (It wasn't happening until the last few days)

2. OzSat

OzSat Very Nice Moderator

Feb 15, 2001
    Oxfordshire, UK
    I've not had reboot issues - I only know of one reboot in past couple of weeks and that was a manual one.

The thing is you have no way of seeing the uptime anymore to see if reboots are happening without you knowing. But I've had no broken recordings.

3. Karnak

Karnak 'Local'

Jan 13, 2003
    I was just coming here to post a thread that I was going to call exactly what this one's called.

After the '3rd tuner' update, I was very happy. TiVo was fairly stable if a bit laggy at times and I think I'd had one crash in three weeks.

The last couple of weeks things have deteriorated quite notably. I've now had at least one crash or random reboot most days and it feels like the latest software updates / tweaks are responsible.

Quite upset. Anyone else feel that things are deteriorating?

4. jonphil

jonphil New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Derbyshire, UK
    Mine became very slow to respond Friday evening, blank screen for a while before 'My Shows' appeared.
    Managed to watch an hour HD program with no problems, went to delete it and then got the red circle going.
    As all 3 tuners were in use I was interested to see what happened, the red circle remained for above an hour (I was doing other things) once it timed out to live TV but going back to the menu was the same result.

Eventually had to manually power it off and back on again, thankfully all the recordings it was doing were fine so it was just the interface that crashed.

I hope that Virgin isn't rushing out fixes because of the launch date.
    The issue with the pin number resetting to the default has also caused me to have to reboot to get the pin working again.

5. Karnak

Karnak 'Local'

Jan 13, 2003
    The red circle is something I've been seeing a lot more recently often while the menus are chugging away waiting for it to vanish, you can go back to live TV and all is fine. Quite odd.

6. geekspeak

geekspeak New Member

Oct 1, 2002
    The only thing available is the time since tune start for each tuner in the diagnostics menu. However, I suspect this gets reset when the tuner switches channel. However one of my tuners is currently at 21 hours which would have been the last reboot, so at least I know it hasn't rebooted within that time.

Probably no use to those Tivo's that are particularly active, always recording etc. and I wouldn't know if those counters get set back to zero at all, other than a channel change. Plus, I am only assuming they get set to zero on reboot.

7. Faz

Faz New Member

May 2, 2004
    London, UK
    I noticed mine getting sluggish past few days too, including first GUI restart in some time.
    Darn donut / red circle showing it's self way more often than it used to.

Sometimes it seems lag is due to updating the Discovery bar. Flash is all well and good when system load / CPU is not being taxed, and I can understand Virgin wishing to keep this always visible, but at least they could ensure it's running in it's own low priority thread or something, to ensure it never causes lag on the rest of the interface.

8. jonphil

jonphil New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Derbyshire, UK
    3rd reboot since AE8 last week, this time went to watch something and nice black screen and nothing.
    Recording two programs and got so *********** that I had to reboot it and miss part / or maybe even all that it was recording.

The home screen time issue was anoying but I could live with it, but the crashing recently is just beyond the joke, especially as it had been reall quite stable.

Anyway Virgin can roll back to the version before and give me back the Tivo with the incorrect home screen time as at least it didn't crash so often.

Noticed that unlike S1 it doesn't attempt to recover the recording :(
    correction, it does carry on the recordings but takes a very long time to recover. In total with the time to boot the box it misses a good 10mins worth of whatever was being recorded.

9. Karnak

Karnak 'Local'

Jan 13, 2003
    I actually found it started to deteriorate with the 'small' software update before AE8 (can't remember what they did with that one).

It is a really serious issue I think, the software is just no where near as stable as it was.

10. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    So why am I not seeing any (serious) stability issues? I mean, if the software update we all got has caused it, shouldn't all the boxes be exhibiting the same problem?

So yes it's a serious issue, of course, but there's no real way of telling how many are affected by it; and obviously not everyone is.

11. Karnak

Karnak 'Local'

Jan 13, 2003
    Now I know why everyone thinks you're an arse Carl.

Software is inherently non-deterministic, and your response was unnecessary.

12. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    Firstly, no need for insults :( Secondly, that was my point. We're not all having the problem; therefore the solution cannot be easy to find :) I'm sure they're working on it. I am also wondering, out of interest, what the actual problem might be. We have a lot of experts in here who might be able to speculate.

13. Karnak

Karnak 'Local'

Jan 13, 2003
    I'm in a bad mood today, I apologise for losing my temper.

The tone of your response was however also unnecessary.

14. alextegg

alextegg Tall Member

May 21, 2002
    Kingston...
    :D:up:

15. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    No problem.

It could have been phrased better, I suppose.

Oh, and I think you (and alex) will find that it's not "everyone" that thinks that. In fact, I know it isn't.

16. geekspeak

geekspeak New Member

Oct 1, 2002
    I wish it was contained to just this forum and I wouldn't come back here but unfortunately there are many more similarly blighted. Ignore user only works so well.

17. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    So, not actual substantive contribution to make to the thread; just more personal comments? Perhaps you could take your bitching session to PM and let the thread get back on topic. :rolleyes:

18. geekspeak

geekspeak New Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Still getting frequent reboots. Just switched on for the first time in 48 hours. Within 5 seconds and without even doing anything else, it rebooted.

I only know one other person (in real life) who has VM Tivo and they regret it due to "too slow interface and constant rebooting".

19. VirginMediaPhil

VirginMediaPhil New Member

Nov 27, 2009
    UK
    Carl, I don't know why, but because you always defend VM TiVo and everything, people just get annoyed at you.

They don't want somebody doing that all the time, you know, saying that the VM TiVo is just fine and it's just isolated to one person. They just want their opinion out there, for let the people who agree with them agree with them, and the people who disagree with them just ignore the post.

You're never going to receive a "Oh, I'm so sorry, I didn't realise that" response to your correction of their post, because they're annoyed, and you've made them more annoyed. Let's be honest here; the truth hurts.

:)

20. OzSat

OzSat Very Nice Moderator

Feb 15, 2001
    Oxfordshire, UK
    I'm not having any reboot problems - in fact I'm only aware of one reboot in the past couple of weeks and I had to force that one.

The TCF forums are great for advice - but if you are having a problem with your particular unit or VM connection - then the best place to post is http://community.virginmedia.com/

I would actually suggest 'phoning 151 and immediately indicating that you have a TiVo fault - for the fastest route.

If both you and your friend are in the same area it could be local network issues - but VM would need to look at that.