Increase swap on already expanded TivoHD drive

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by angra, Feb 10, 2018.

1. angra

angra Old Fogey

Apr 12, 2002

Advertisements

I have a TivoHD that has been expanded to 2TB. I left the swap at default 128MB.

Indexing frequently fails on this box. On my other TivoHD that has 256MB swap, indexing never fails. So, I'd like to increase the swap on the first one.

Do any of the current generation of tools allow such an operation? I have spare 2 and 3 TB drives. That I could use. I'd like to keep recordings if I can, but willing to lose them if necessary.

2. jmbach

jmbach der Neuerer

Jan 1, 2009
    You can try MFSTools 3.2. I would just dd copy the drive to your 3TB and use MFSTools to copy it back to the 2TB drive. You can specify the swap size when you do the copy.

The other thing I would do is a full diagnostic on the drive. If you feel that the copy is good, you can do a full write zero followed by a full read before you copy it back the drive.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

3. angra

angra Old Fogey

Apr 12, 2002
    Thank you for the response, and also thank you for the considerable work you've put into MFSTools 3.2. I've been reading a lot in the last day or so after years of absence from the underground movement (as evidenced by the age of my tivo :) ).

Could I just mfscopy directly to a new 2TB drive specifying a larger swap, skipping the 3TB copy step? I'm trying to get my head around the way that MFSTools 3.2 handles the MFS partitions during a copy.

4. jmbach

jmbach der Neuerer

Jan 1, 2009
    Yes you can. That is my preference. I always like having the original image to work with. So go ahead and try the copy. When MFSTools copies it formats out new MFS media partitions and then copies the recordings over. Usually for shrinking partitions it does not like to copy recordings but since you are not specifically asking to do that it may not balk at it as long as there is enough free space on the original image.

5. angra

angra Old Fogey

Apr 12, 2002

Advertisements

I'll delete a lot of recordings before I make the attempt.

I will attempt on Thursday and report back results!

6. angra

angra Old Fogey

Apr 12, 2002
    Sorry to reply to my own reply, but: will MFSTools attempt to copy the "Recently Deleted" folder? That is, should I manually go through and perm-delete everything in that folder before I make the attempt, in order to save time?

my current space usage looks something like:

Space Usage Summary
    Space Total
    Free 6.79 GiB 6.79 GiB
    Deleted 833.99 GiB 840.79 GiB
    Expirable 976.19 GiB 1816.98 GiB
    Keep Forever 26.61 GiB 1843.59 GiB
    Tivo Clips 8.97 GiB 1852.56 GiB
    Live Buffer 9.00 GiB 1861.56 GiB

7. jmbach

jmbach der Neuerer

Jan 1, 2009
    I don't know. It is something I never paid attention to. You have 6 GB free so it might not matter. I would try it first and then if it does not work go and manually delete the files. I will say, how fast the process goes depends on how many recordings it copies over. 800gb is a lot to copy if it does copy the recently deleted folder and your copy would take twice as long if it did not copy it.

8. angra

angra Old Fogey

Apr 12, 2002
    downtime is critical in my household, so I whipped up a little script to clear out /Recordings/Deleted. Now I have 840GB free and only about 1000GB used. By Thursday I should have a few fresh shows in there. I'll report back whether they make the copy. Would be good to know for future users, I suppose.

9. jmbach

jmbach der Neuerer

Jan 1, 2009
    Yes it would.

The nice thing about using MFSTools is that it will take a multiple MFS partition layout from prior expansions back to the standard two partition pair the original layout had and still use the whole drive space for recordings.

10. angra

angra Old Fogey

Apr 12, 2002
    PS now that this has evolved into a MFSTools specific conversation, should I flag this post for merge into the MFSTools thread?

11. jmbach

jmbach der Neuerer

Jan 1, 2009
    I think we are okay here. The issue, we hope, will be completed successfully shortly and we can put a summary post in the MFSTools thread.

12. angra

angra Old Fogey

Apr 12, 2002
    I found an exploitable gap in the todo schedule, so I am attempting copy now.

Assuming drive letters are correct, is:

./mfscopy -Tai -S 1024 /dev/sdk /dev/sdl

all that I should need?

13. angra

angra Old Fogey

Apr 12, 2002
    I did:

Took about (7:43:36) on a very fast machine with very fast SATA interfaces.

Code:
     ./mfscopy -Tai -S 1024 /dev/sdk /dev/sdl
    Scanning source drive.  Please wait a moment.
    Starting copy
    Size: 1196416 MiB
    Copying 1196416 of 1196416 MiB (100.00%) 43 MiB/sec (ETA 0:00:00)
    Cleaning up target.  Please wait a moment.
    Copy done! (7:43:36)

after booting the tivo, it looks like the swap was increased as requested:
    Code:
    bash-2.02# free
                  total         used         free       shared      buffers
      Mem:       127480        95940        31540            0         2876
     Swap:      1048568            0      1048568
    Total:      1176048        95940      1080108

There was 1 program in recently deleted before the copy. After the copy, this program was still in recently deleted, and I was able to restore it and watch it. All other recordings that I checked (just a few) appear to be intact.

All of this implies to me that you really do want to clear out "Recently Deleted" if you care about the runtime of mfscopy.

14. angra

angra Old Fogey

Apr 12, 2002
    ...and indexing succeeded on first attempt after a week of failures :) Thanks!

15. jmbach

jmbach der Neuerer

Jan 1, 2009
    Sorry did not get back to you sooner. Work got in the way and just saw the post. You could have left off the T argument. But I see everything worked out as planned. That is most excellent. And now we have the extra data point on the recently deleted folder. Thanks.

16. angra

angra Old Fogey

Apr 12, 2002
    We all do this as a hobby, so no worries on getting back or not as schedule permits.

I remain quite grateful for the work you and others have done to keep MFSTools moving forward. The least I can do is be as detailed as I can on what I did and how it worked, for others to benefit.

I should add as an aside that I built the tools from source after doing the 'git clone' command given on sourceforge, on a ubuntu 16.04 machine.

The copy was start and stop the whole way through. It would copy a few hundred to a couple thousand megabytes at ~70MB/s, but frequently dropped to <1MB/s for 10-12s chunks. I have no idea if that is normal.

Since I have a machine available with hot swap bays, and a freshly decomissioned drive, it's pretty easy for me to run any other experiments or tests that might help. Maybe not that many people need TivoHD stuff at this point, though :)

17. jmbach

jmbach der Neuerer

Jan 1, 2009
    Unfortunately the source forge repo is not updated but the changes I made from that source would be for Premiere and newer TiVo units. If you are interested in my modifications to the source, let me know and I can PM a link to it.

18. angra

angra Old Fogey

Apr 12, 2002
    I don't need it for my own use, and I don't even have a Premier or newer :). But, I'm happy to support the effort if there is something that I can help with.