Inconsistent freeze/dissolve with 6.4a

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by catocony, Jul 6, 2008.

1. catocony

catocony Member

Nov 13, 2006
    I've read the threads but haven't quite seen an issue the same as mine. Since the last upgrade - which could just be a coincidence - I am intermittently having issues where, while playback of a recording, my screen will freeze from anywhere from 2-3 seconds to 10-15 seconds. Sometimes it then continues on, sometimes it goes black and after a few seconds picks back up, sometimes I have dissolves. When it is in "freeze" I can't do anything. If it freezes while in fast forward, same thing, it seems to freeze up for X seconds and then continues on.

Also, I seem to be having the "hold" issue on live TV where if I pause it locks up and acts the same as a recorded program. The only difference is that if I'm in fast forward on a held program - skipping through a commercial or in this case, the slow part of a baseball game, once it unfreezes it dumps be back to live TV, blasting over whatever I missed.

I finally polished off the movies I've had recorded for months and last night did a "clear and delete" thinking that maybe it was a bad hard drive sector or something that was causing the issues. It's been off and on the past few weeks, not that bad but irritating. Sometimes it happens, sometimes not. Sometimes when recording two programs simultaneously, sometimes just one, sometimes not recording at all just live TV held up for 10-15 minutes.

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    Sounds like early symptoms of a dying hard drive. Software updates sometimes "trigger" these issues because the updated software occupies a previosly unused hard drive sector. This would be a good time to consider upgrading your Tivo's hard drive.

3. catocony

catocony Member

Nov 13, 2006
    I'll monitor it. I have a R15 that I could swap in, but it looks like a visit to weaknees is probably in order. My Tivo is over 4 years old, so a hard drive crap-out is certainly a possibility.

4. cmorr70

cmorr70 New Member

Sep 11, 2002
    I have the identical issue on 1 of 2 DSR704's. This has happened since 6.4a upgrade. My HD is about 4 years old.

5. catocony

catocony Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Well, it got much worse last night - even without recording, if I just held video for a few minutes it would have the issue. This morning I decided to try one last clear and delete on the hard drive. It's still trying to recover, but basically the drive is toast at this point. Permanently stuck on the "clearing, it can take up to an hour, do not unplug, blah blah".

Luckily a fresh drive is on it's way and I should be back up and running tomorrow.

I guess my advice is, if you start to see these symptoms, get a new drive ASAP and probably don't try a clear and delete all. Mine was worse after the first attempt, dead after the second.

Still, 4 years, 4 months on the original hard drive. Not bad, and I used to reboot regularly in the days when I had multiple houses and moved my DirecTivo from place to place.

6. Dkerr24

Dkerr24 Lost in Big Bend

Oct 28, 2004
    Okla, USA
    Even better advice is to have an spare imaged hard drive ready to hot-swap. I have a spare drive ready to swap for both of my DTivo units. A hard drive failure for me means maybe 15 mins downtime.

7. catocony

catocony Member

Nov 13, 2006
    It was the hard drive. I got the new one in today, got it installed and all is good in the world again. It has the 6.3f code, not 6.4a, but I'll assume for now that there won't be any issues if/when it gets 6.4 pushed out from The Mother Ship.

8. davidg1964

davidg1964 New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Kansas
    I am having same problem. Were did you order your hard drive? I have had my tivo for about 5 years. It is a Samsung series 2 I too tried clearing the memory, and it just keeps getting worse. Directv sent me a "replacement" since I had the replacement plan with them. They no longer have tivo, they have there own DVR. In 6 months I have gone through 5 Directv DVRs. I told them they replaced my Mercedez with a Ugo. I want to fix my tivo.

9. Dkerr24

Dkerr24 Lost in Big Bend

Oct 28, 2004
    Okla, USA
    Pre-imaged drives available from weaknees.