Incapable of accessing KMTTG using remote pc products

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by mtepper27, Apr 9, 2021.

1. Apr 9, 2021 #1 of 12
    mtepper27

mtepper27 Member

Jul 8, 2019

Advertisements

using Teamviewer or RemotePC or Splashtop, I can’t see anything on KmTTG on the computer I am connected to. Everything else with those products works properly.

How can I make this program viewable?

If you go on the computer locally, the program works fine and is viewable.

2. Apr 9, 2021 #2 of 12
    ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Please explain further what you are trying to do.

If you are trying to access your Tivo outside of your local network, there is another way other than using the apps you mentioned. It would work with port forwarding from your local router. The remote PC would be using KMTTG on the Tivo set to the home Tivo IP address.

3. Apr 9, 2021 #3 of 12
    mtepper27

mtepper27 Member

Jul 8, 2019
    I have my tivo bolts and my laptop hooked up at my brother’s home.

I put remote pc access applications on the laptop at his home, which has kmttg and pytivo on it for downloading programs from the bolts. I am accessing that laptop from my home pc using the remote pc apps like Teamviewer.

However, kmttg is not viewable inside teamviewer or similar apps.

What I am trying to do is download programs from the bolts in my brother’s home to the laptop in his home while I’m not there.

I am able to use pytivo with teamviewer, etc., but I prefer kmttg.

Is there a better way to download using port forwarding?

4. Apr 9, 2021 #4 of 12
    ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    With port forwarding, you would be downloading the shows to the PC you are currently on, even though the Tivo is on another network.

KMTTG can be set to auto-download shows (though I don't use this feature), it can download shows it hasn't yet.

5. Apr 9, 2021 #5 of 12
    mtepper27

mtepper27 Member

Jul 8, 2019

Advertisements

Is there a link to directions on how to set up port forwarding and how to download using it?

What program do you use to download with port forwarding?

6. Apr 9, 2021 #6 of 12
    ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Port forwarding is a feature of your router/gateway.

Basically, its using ports that re-directs access to another device on the network. Like, if your IP address is 4.3.2.1, adding a port would tell it where to go.

Each router is different to set up for port forwarding. You would need to set 3 ports for you to access your Tivo remotely.

Are you sure you want to download shows to the computer you are on or on your home (brother's) network?

7. Apr 9, 2021 #7 of 12
    mtepper27

mtepper27 Member

Jul 8, 2019
    This is the first I’ve heard of port forwarding tivo programs and it sounds very interesting and useful.

If I have 3 bolts, I would need to set up 9 ports, right?

Right now, I am downloading to an external hard drive in my brother’s home via pytivo using teamviewer.

8. Apr 9, 2021 #8 of 12
    ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Basically its accessing your Tivo remotely to download shows by KMTTG to the computer you are using, not to the brother's home PC/hard drive. (port forwarding method)

KMTTG has an auto-downloader/processer that can download and process the shows and place it where you want, at your brother's home network. Why can't he download them himself. Once this auto-download is set up properly, you would not need to gain access remotely again, unless issues arise.

9. Apr 9, 2021 #9 of 12
    kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    4 or 5 pages back in the KMTTG thread there's instructions on running KMTTG with Hardware Acceleration turned off (or is it on?).

I was running in to what sounds like the same problem (from within my house via RDP, though) and this cleared it up for me.

-KP

10. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    I don't think that will do what the OP was trying to do... Remotely access KMTTG from outside of the home network.

11. mtepper27

mtepper27 Member

Jul 8, 2019
    Thank you both so much.

Kpeters advice solved the issue of kmttg not being visible using remote access. And ThAbtO, you may have solved a huge issue for me with this port forwarding. I am currently reading how to set it up.

kpeters59 likes this.
  12. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    I use RDP to connect to a PC 'inside' my Home Network and view KMTTG.

You need to Forward Port 3389 to the PC you're trying to access.

Of course, doing this opens up questions about Security, which you should address thoroughly. Google is your friend (for this, anyway...).

-KP