In Time for The Holidays TechHive Reviews TiVo's New Edge

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Joe3, Nov 18, 2019.

1. Joe3

Joe3 Active Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boston MA
    Some might call this review a puff piece. When a reviewer has to add that it doesn't make as much noise in the Pro column, they're really grasping for something good to say.

Also, lacks any explanation as to why Rovi or any company would bet the bank on a dying tech (cable TV) and not be a candidate for an institution for the insane.

TiVo Edge review: A once-great DVR in decline

2. TishTash

TishTash Active Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Merrick, NY
    1) I'm not sure why you would accuse this of being a "puff piece" when the title itself clearly uses the word "decline" in its headline. If anything, the review is a negative indictment. Are you saying it's not damning enough?

2) With one model clearly OTA, I'm not sure they're "betting the bank" on cable. Calling them criminally "insane" may be accurate in many respects, but IMHO, not particularly constructive.

P.S. Re-reading the article, I'm still struck by how you perceived this review as a PR stunt. It's absolutely the opposite.

mrsean and PSU_Sudzi like this.
  3. spiderpumpkin

spiderpumpkin Say no to Hydra!

Dec 1, 2017
    I like how the author mentioned Channels DVR!

4. Sparky1234

Sparky1234 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2006
    Cable just like TiVo will be around for a long time to come. Just my prediction.

PSU_Sudzi and WVZR1 like this.
  5. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
  6. MrDell

MrDell Active Member

Jul 8, 2012
    Rhode Island
    I tend to agree... I have researched many different ways to duplicate what I purchase from Verizon with a "Bundle" discount giving me phone, internet, and cable with a two year fixed price agreement. To go with the streaming route it would be more expensive because Verizon's internet price plus a streaming service is a bit more than I am paying now, plus I like the convenience of having everything in one box. It's like getting the phone service for free... I know many people use just their cell but I guess I am old fashioned.. I like having both.:):)

WVZR1, dishrich and humbb like this.
  7. tenthplanet

tenthplanet Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Techhive just another tech site, kind of a cranky version of CNET.

8. Joe3

Joe3 Active Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boston MA
    My cable bill went over $200 when my two year discount incentives ended. Each two year contract I have gotten less content and downgraded. But this year when the contract ended and I demand a similar bundle with a similar cost to what I had been paying or I was going to walk. I was told by a very sympathetic manager that flat out told me that the content providers are no longer concerned about cable and are moving to streaming to offset their losses from cable. Therefore, he said, no more discount incentives because none are given to cable like they were a couple of years ago and we (cable TV) have been losing customers at a highest rate he has ever seen in his 33 years as a manger. So yeah, I think cable tv is a sinkhole that is not going to make a comeback and Rovi's investment in making their cable boxes as a long term business strategy is insane. However, development of hybrid systems for the public without cable limitations is better long term. And I do believe, out of respect for what TiVo once was, the reviewer of the article went easy on them.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
    trip1eX and stile99 like this.
  9. tommiet

tommiet Active Member

Oct 28, 2005
    Did they list "ad" in the Guide and short ads before watching DVR recordings as "New Features?"

10. Sparky1234

Sparky1234 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2006
    OTA then!

11. Joe3

Joe3 Active Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boston MA

Since I have invested $$ in a TV capable of presenting a high quality display and have had OTA available, I have seen the OTA broadcasts visibly and gradually degrading and going into the crapper by delivering a low quality experience on a high quality display device. An inexpensive streaming device has been a better choice in my situation. OTA is putting quantity by adding so so sub channels that degrade the visual quality capabilities of my investment.

12. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    xfinity, spectrum, or rcn?

13. trip1eX

trip1eX Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2005
    Yeah I didn't get a deal on cable and internet from my cable co either. But they gave me internet only for $40/mo promo price for 1 year. So I canceled cable and went to YTTV. IT's been great so far. I actually like it better than Tivo overall. As long the responsiveness and the reliability holds.

mschnebly likes this.
  14. Joe3

Joe3 Active Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boston MA
    What speeds did you get for $40 a month?

15. TishTash

TishTash Active Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Merrick, NY
    I too lost a lot of the discounts after the trial expired on my cable triple play. They're basically giving away the landline for free, but raising the basic rate of internet access, whether you get cable TV with it or not. As for that, they're repackaging tiers with similar prices but decreased channels.

I called to cancel my cable, given that keeping just the internet wasn't going to increase it anymore like before. When inevitably asked why, I told them:

a) there was no reason to keep something that was costing more for less services,
    b) especially with no more discounting for bundling with cable internet, and
    c) that while a free landline was nice, cellular essentially rendered it a moot luxury.

Before you know it, they:

a) grandfathered my old plan with the same trial pricing while reinstating the lost channels,
    b) reinstated the bundling discount pricing for internet, and
    c) continued throwing in the landline.

So for two more years, I'm still attached to a cord.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
  16. trip1eX

trip1eX Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2005
    100 mbps.