In-home Streaming Between TiVo Boxes

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by jbcheshire, Jun 5, 2020.

1. Jun 5, 2020 #1 of 12
    jbcheshire

jbcheshire Member

Jun 6, 2006
    I have an older Premier box and was looking to get back into using Tivo service. Can I watch shows on my Premiere that I record on a Roamio, and visa-versa?

2. Jun 5, 2020 #2 of 12
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Yes, assuming they are on the same network.

3. Jun 5, 2020 #3 of 12
    Scott9mm

Scott9mm Member

Apr 4, 2015
    Rural NC
    Yes but maybe with caveats. I have a Plus and Premiere on a Moca network and a S3 HD and a basic Roamio on wired Ethernet. The two Moca machines see each other just fine. The Plus and Premiere can see (and play) from the basic Roamio machine right after a reboot but can no longer see/play from the Ethernet TiVos after the first connection. KMTTG, by the way, sees all four TiVos just fine all the time.

SO Joe is right but there may be problems if one TiVo is Moca and the other is Ethernet/WiFi.

4. Jun 5, 2020 #4 of 12
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    But that's still the same network. I don't have MoCA. Look at Network Settings, Network Troubleshooting, Network Status. All boxes should be the same except for MAC address and the last octet of the IP address.

Also, can TiVo Online see My Shows on all TiVo boxes? I stream between my Roamio and Premiere boxes all the time. TE4 and TE3 also.

5. Jun 5, 2020 #5 of 12
    vaquero

vaquero Active Member

Jan 14, 2020
    Ditto, also, too.

6. Jun 5, 2020 #6 of 12
    ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Series 3 and older Tivos cannot stream. They don't have the ability. They only can transfer.

Teeps likes this.
  7. Jun 6, 2020 #7 of 12
    Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    Yes.
    For best results do not use wireless networking.
    At least that's been my experience and why my 3 TiVos are connected by ethernet cable.

8. Jun 7, 2020 #8 of 12
    Scott9mm

Scott9mm Member

Apr 4, 2015
    Rural NC
    I can live just fine with my current setup. But to answer your questions, all TiVos have proper, unique MAC and IP addresses in the same local subnet. The basic Roamio which is Ethernet (via an RF bridge) can see, download, and stream (except the S3) programs from all other boxes. KMTTG can see and manage all boxes. TiVo online manage can see and manage the Roamios and Premiere (S3 doesn't support streaming). Immediately after a restart, the Plus and Premiere see, download, and stream (except S3) from the other boxes, but just ONE TIME. After that first connection the MOCA Plus and Premiere report a network problem for the basic and don't even see the S3. Just goofy but not important to me.

9. Jun 7, 2020 #9 of 12
    V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    Since it is not important to you, we won't waste any time trying to help you fix your problem. But for others that might be reviewing this thread, let me clearly state that whatever your problem is, it is certainly NOT a TiVo problem, nor is it anything that they should ever expect to experience.

Any properly configured MoCA network will work totally transparently with the Ethernet LAN to which it is bridged. ALL devices on either side of the bridge will be able to see and communicate with any other device on either side of the bridge. The MoCA network is NOT a separate network, just an extension of the Ethernet LAN that provides the routing and IP addresses.

10. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Bridging can cause problems with some types of traffic (I couldn't reserve a DHCP address by MAC address across an RF bridge for example as the traffic appears to have the bridges MAC address).

Scott

11. Scott9mm

Scott9mm Member

Apr 4, 2015
    Rural NC
    Update:
    Recapping, I had a TiVo basic connected by Ethernet via an RF bridge. KMTTG and TiVo Manage saw that TiVo just fine bit my Roamio+ and Premiere could not see it after a first successful connection. However the basic TiVo could see and play shows from the other two TiVos.

I had a power glitch yesterday that changed the basic TiVo DHCP IP from x.x.x.142 to x.x.x.147. KMTTG continued to work on one PC but not on another. The working KMTTG showed the basic TiVo IP as x.x.x.13. l could connect to the basic TiVo (via browser) at x.x.x.147 on HTTP but not HTTPS. IP scan showed nothing at x.x.x.142 or x.x.x.13.

I was thoroughly confused at this point. So I manually changed the basic TiVo IP to x.x.x.13 and hard rebooted. Shazam. Now EVERYTHING works like it should. I can't explain but power-off reboot seems to have magical powers.

12. lhvetinari

lhvetinari Si non confectus, non reficiat TCF Club

Jun 24, 2019
    Chicago
    Personally, I statically assign all my TiVo stuff (including my KMTTG/PyTivo host server) - less problems that way.