Impulse (YouTube Premium)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by gweempose, Jul 24, 2018.

1. gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    I assume some other people must be watching this since it already got picked up for a second season. I've only seen the first two episodes, but I like it so far. I'm definitely curious to see where they are going with the story.

This is a spoiler free thread to discuss the show in general. If there is enough interest, I'll create a Season 1 thread where spoilers are allowed.

2. robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    I hadn't heard of this.
    Here's the trailer.

3. robojerk

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    I binged it, thought it was surprisingly good. Glad it's renewed.

4. gweempose

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    Wow, you're fast! I still haven't watched beyond the first two episodes. :) Glad to hear you liked it.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
  5. robojerk

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    I stay at home with kids, one was with his grandma past 2 days, the other was sick and just wanted to sleep most of the day and do light play inside with her Little People.

6. robojerk

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    "Impulse is the third novel in the Jumper series by Steven Gould and the fourth in the Jumper universe."

I don't remember much from Jumper the movie, other than thinking it was kind of dumb (I think). This show was way, way better.

7. gweempose

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    I think you and I are the only two people on TCF watching this show ... lol!

That's interesting about this being based on one of the novels in the "Jumper" series. I falsely assumed it just ripped off the idea. :) I guess I should have put two and two together with Doug Lyman being the executive producer and directing the pilot. I actually recall liking the movie, although I haven't seen it since it was in the theater.

8. robojerk

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    Townes is played by Daniel Maslany, brother of Tatiana Maslany of Orphan Black.

9. gweempose

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    I immediately recognized the last name and looked it up. It's not a common name, so I wasn't surprised when it turned out to be her brother.

10. Peter000

Peter000 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    I'm not watching it yet, but will be. :) I immediately thought of Jumper when I saw the trailer, and I enjoyed the book.

11. getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    I marathoned through this about a month ago. Although I liked the idea in the first couple of episodes, I felt that it just turned into an infomercial for #MeToo and was very preachy about asking permission and apologizing for every awkward thing teenagers do with each other as they explore their sexuality. The story was dominated by this new social movement and justifying destuction of anything and everything because of "bad touch" more than exploring this "superpower". I guess it's intended for Millennials.

12. longrider

longrider Well-Known Member TCF Club

Oct 26, 2017
    Elizabeth, CO
    I have watched the first two episodes and am just waiting for when I know I will have the time to finish it off in a month as I dont regularly subscribe to You Tube premium or whatever they are calling it now. Having read and enjoyed the entire Jumper book series I will say that the similarity to the book is limited to a teenage female protagonist and the fact she can teleport. That said I am enjoying the series

13. gweempose

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    I finished the first season last night. I thought it was an excellent show, and a nice departure from your typical "superhero" origin story. It may be tied to the Jumper universe, but it didn't feel like that movie at all. It's much more character driven than action driven. The main actress Maddie Hasson is simply phenomenal in it. In fact, the whole cast is solid. It's nice seeing Missy Pile in such a serious role. I'm definitely looking forward to Season 2.

14. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    IMO, the movie "Jumper" was a big departure from the book; "Impulse" the series was closer to Impluse the book. I enjoyed the series much more than the movie; I've also enjoyed the books a lot as well.

15. longrider

longrider Well-Known Member TCF Club

Oct 26, 2017
    Elizabeth, CO
    I got the completely opposite impression. While Jumper is not a screenplay of the book it still follows the basic story. David discovered his ability while living with an abusive father and while David did rob banks in both stories his lifestyle was definitely different. While there was no Griffin in the book Millie played the same role. Now we go to Impulse and as i previously posted about the only similarity is the teleporting teenager. No teleporting parents to support her, and Henry is definitely no Cent!

16. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Maybe. It's been a long time since I read Jumper and I happened to reread Impluse last week. Henry's adjustment to the new school and her conflict with the drug dealers were major themes reflected in the series. I know I was very disappointed in the movie but I found the series satisfying.

17. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I'm 7 episodes in---I'll probably finish over the weekend.

18. Malcontent

Malcontent Aka: Smiling Bob

Sep 4, 2004
    Season 2 starts 10-16-2019.

Season 1 is available to watch for free on Youtube.

gweempose likes this.
  19. gweempose

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    I'm very excited for this, but like many shows, I feel like I should go back and re-watch the first season.

20. Malcontent

Malcontent Aka: Smiling Bob

Sep 4, 2004