Improving transfer rates from Tivo to PC

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by c monkey, Jan 8, 2006.

1. c monkey

c monkey New Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Chiacgo, IL

Advertisements

I have two Tivo series tow boxes set up with my wireless home network. When I transfer shows to the PC, they take longer than the show length to transfer. I have Netgear (WG111) wireless usb adapters at 54MBPS connected to my Tivos with a Linksys Wireless-G router (WRT54G) w/2.4GHz at 54Mbps. Is there a way to improve transfer speeds? The Tivos are about 25-30 feet away from the router and PC. Also, I just ordered Vonage and will be returning my router to BB in place for the Linksys wireless router with Vonage adapter that Vonage is going to send me so I don't know if that will help. Any Input? I would greatly appreciate it.

2. ThreeSoFar

ThreeSoFar FourNow...WaitFive

May 24, 2002
    Baltimore
    See this other thread. The new TiVo adapter will likely increase your speed quite a bit.

Wired would be faster, certainly.

3. audioscience

audioscience OG Lurker

Feb 10, 2005
    New England
    When transfering video from Tivo to your PC pause your video playback if you are not watching TV. When I pause my video I get about 8Mb/sec as apposed to 6Mb/sec with it playing.

And like he said used a wired connection for a faster transfer.

4. c monkey

c monkey New Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Chiacgo, IL
    About how much faster would the wired transfer work? I am considering going that route or getting the Tivo Wireless G adapter. How long will a one hour show (best quality) take on a wired connection? on a Tivo Wireless G adapter?

5. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.

Advertisements

Right now, I am getting about 950 KB/Sec. I get half that with a wired USB1.1 adapter. (I just tried, to see what would happen).

6. krgoldman

krgoldman New Member

Nov 27, 2004
    I have a related but different question. I have been doing wireless transfers for a while now and the transfers were taking about twice as long as the recorded program (I think, about what one would expect.) I was using a Linksys BEFSR41 router and a Linksys WAP55AG wireless access point. On the TiVo end I have a D-Link DWL-122. Last weekend, both my router and and my access point died, so I replaced them with a Linksys WRT55AG Wirless router. Now, my transfers take about twice as long as before. I have to assume that it is something in the setup of the wireless router, but nothing has jumped out at me. What's strange, is other aspects of performance, e.g. getting a list of recorded programs from the TiVo to the computer seem to go faster. Anyone have any ideas on this?